The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Hypothetical] Who should replace Travis Green?

Rate this topic

Ilya Mikheyev

Who should replace Green as coach?  

203 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

16 hours ago, DeNiro said:

I think Green was chosen for financial reasons to start. The Aquilinis didn’t wanna spend a bunch of money during a rebuild. Maybe they had a plan to upgrade the coaching position by now but then Covid hit and it was back to saving money.

There are no excuses to cheap out now though. Fans are back in the building and have been very patient waiting for a winner. Go out and get the best person available for the job. Promoting straight from the farm team sometimes works (Cooper) but it’s a lot less likely. Green is no Cooper.

His style of coaching fit our team better the way it was built 4 years ago. But now they’re trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. This team is built to play a faster aggressive transition game where they give up chances but create a lot offensively. This passive sit back and wait for your opportunities will not work with the D we have. Their strength is moving the puck not grinding in the corners.

Hire any coach with a proven record of coaching that style. The best candidates on that list that fit that mould are Boudreau and Crawford.

I voted Boudreau for that reason - I think the team is built for a coach for his (pre-2nd year Minnesota) style, but that will also rely on being able to tap into Petey.

I wonder if Benning could swing hiring Boudreau and singing Eric Staal for league minimum who had 42 goals under Boudreau's system. Give the team a shake up and a veteran presence.

• Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Please add Mike Babcock, @Teemu Selänne

Only one head coach has lost two game 7's in the Stanley Cup Finals for different teams.  Mikey is that head coach.

Don't think as a Canuckfan, I can handle another game 7 loss.:(

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

On 11/12/2021 at 9:11 AM, CanuckGAME said:

Yeah. Who needs passion?

I'm personally tired of the PC softies this team keeps hiring. Time to hire someone who has passion.

This entire world is soft. Yelling is now too much for some. Give me a damn break.

I don't care for your tone here, and literally feel attacked. Also, you do know that using the term "softies" is offensive to those us with ED right?

• Haha 1

On 11/12/2021 at 6:03 PM, DeNiro said:

Calgary was already built like a Sutter team for the most part though. And they spent the offseason acquiring even more of his style of players.

Benning on the other hand is infusing skilled guys into a lineup when Green has more success with grinders. It’s not matching the coach they have.

When did Green have success with grinders? You mean Grindr?

• Haha 2

On 11/12/2021 at 11:29 AM, PhillipBlunt said:

Shaw as interim. See if he can turn this mess around and then revisit in the off-season. He developed the likes of Pietrangelo, Parayko, Werenski, and Jones amongst others. Has a lot of assistant coaching experience that could translate over the season. 

I don't want to promote ANY assistant on this team, especially one that came in and made us worse this year

It is like taking the c of Horvat and handing it to EP right now

This guy was brought in to make us better, and I don't see the results to promote him

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Strawbone said:

How do we know any of these guys would even WANT to come coach here? They’d be walking in to quite a tire fire. 

When the whole team is in shambles but it looked respectable going into the season, you have to think a coach would like the opportunity to turn around a ship with potential.  JB has his work cut out for him still but the coaching system is lost.  This is a ship that can have the course corrected.

19 hours ago, grandmaster said:

When is the breaking point for JB?if the Canucks lose this one? Eventually the hole gets so big that playoffs become a pipe dream. Green should have been fired yesterday. There are plenty of options for a new experienced coach as noted in this poll….

I've been thinking tonight's game - firing him  before the home stand - with a few days off in between.