The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Hypothetical] Who should replace Travis Green?

Rate this topic

Ilya Mikheyev

Who should replace Green as coach?  

203 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think what's most likely is that Shaw takes over in the interim, and assuming Shaw doesn't magically turn the team into a playoff team, Benning and Weis are axed in the offseason, and whoever the new GM is hires the next coach. 50/50 on whether Shaw is retained if Green is fired and we still miss. Depends on if the team shows marginal improvement after Green is gone.

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, HockeyHarry said:

Igor Larionov would be a great coach imo. He would instantly have a NHL wow respect factor imo.

But getting him outa Russia would be tough.

Like his system and he's still an absolute class act, but don't see him wanting to come back over here with his family still in Russia.

• Cheers 1

33 minutes ago, Spitfire_Spiky said:

Benning’s job relies on this team making the playoffs. He will need a new coach to get them there. If he makes the change early enough and picks the right coach he could save his job. 

Green is his guy he  just resigned him and people want to give him another mulligan.

if he picks the right coach…. HE JUST PICKED  GREEN as the right guy like so many other things he was wrong. 

Jb is the root of the problem no point giving him another pass on doing the wrong thing again.
I don’t  get the passion to keep one of the worst gms  we’ve had and the league has seen. 
So tired of pathetic excuses on his failures. 
Another coach 

times up . it was up in the summer his contract saved him. 

Edited by combover

9 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I think what's most likely is that Shaw takes over in the interim, and assuming Shaw doesn't magically turn the team into a playoff team, Benning and Weis are axed in the offseason, and whoever the new GM is hires the next coach. 50/50 on whether Shaw is retained if Green is fired and we still miss. Depends on if the team shows marginal improvement after Green is gone.

Can’t let him sell more of the future to save his job. 
makes him an even lamer duck. 
Owners should have had a fresh outlook in the summer now there seeing the recycled failed vision of a someone who can’t see. 
they should clean house and take their time to find Quality Experienced replacements and show the fans that incompetence won’t be tolerated anymore. 
interm guys can do just as good as the idiots we have now. 

13 minutes ago, combover said:

Green is his guy he  just resigned him and people want to give him another mulligan.

if he picks the right coach…. HE JUST PICKED  GREEN as the right guy like so many other things he was wrong. 

Jb is the root of the problem no point giving him another pass on doing the wrong thing again.
I don’t  get the passion to keep one of the worst gms  we’ve had and the league has seen. 
So tired of pathetic excuses on his failures. 
Another coach 

times up . it was up in the summer his contract saved him. 

I’m not advocating for Benning in the slightest as he’s made more than his fair share of mistakes. The thing here is he needs to admit to his mistakes with sticking to Green and change the coach if he wants to try and save his job.

Changing the GM at this point isn’t going to turn the team around this season. Something on the bench needs to change for this team have any chance to make it to the post season. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Spitfire_Spiky said:

I’m not advocating for Benning in the slightest as he’s made more than his fair share of mistakes. The thing here is he needs to admit to his mistakes with sticking to Green and change the coach if he wants to try and save his job.

Changing the GM at this point isn’t going to turn the team around this season. Something on the bench needs to change for this team have any chance to make it to the post season. 

Fair enough but the only coach he should get is shaw as an interm since he was the new addition. 
getting rid of a bad gm before he mortgages  more of the future to save his job is equally important. 

And you want the players to wake up.
Well getting rid of the guy who got them here puts all of them on notice. 

Edited by combover

13 minutes ago, Spitfire_Spiky said:

I think regardless of what happens this season, it seems Benning will be gone. Unless the team wins the Cup. 

17 minutes ago, Spitfire_Spiky said:

I think the argument would be that a new GM would also be hiring a qualified coach instead of Green and his band of idiots.  I like the team Benning has put together now, but he needs to either fire Green or go along with him.