The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

FIRE Jim Benning & Travis Green Thread

Rate this topic

Sanford

41 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

Yeah I agree with you. I also generally dont have a problem with Benning's trades, I think on balance theyve actually been really good. It was always the massive contracts given to UFAs that was the problem. 
Even then though, I really dont see much of that left on the roster, i like that he's dumped all the errors he made.. We're probably overpaying Myers by 2 mil or so.. but what else? Its not Bennings fault Petey isnt playing up to his contract, that's on Petey, and 7.3m is fair. 
Hughes is getting underpaid imo.. as is JT Miller, and Demko. Horvat and Boeser contracts are reasonable. 

Benning has basically redeemed himself imo. This year is on the coaches, not on the GM. 

People like to talk about Myers being overpaid but friendly reminder - he was a UFA signing. Someone please show me a day 1 UFA signing of a higher profile player that wasn’t an overpayment in some capacity.
It’s part of the process unfortunately, much like a signing bonus, and why reaching UFA status is such a major aspect in negotiations for players/agents.

2 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

No of course they talk, but since you guys are specifically talking about Gadjovich that would've been a Green decision to cut him from the roster.  

It's not Benning's job to pick the 23 man roster, that's the coaches' job. 

I’m not talking about Gadjovich.

It’s the whole set with small creative players that need the big bodies.

It seems Green use statistics and there it probably show that the style he got works really good but then the whole team need to go full frontal for it to work. 
And we don’t need creative players because speed and relentless attitude is more important if so. 

13 hours ago, Mathew Barzal said:

Even if we get a decent coach we’re going nowhere with the current defensive core. We’ll have regular season success and get slaughtered in the playoffs by well built teams for years to come. Benning needs to go, he forced the team into a competing window that wasn’t necessary.

Currently, a retool of this roster is necessary if we want to salvage having a Cup contender with this core. Winning the Cup with the current team makeup is impossible with the cap restraints and Myers and OEL making what they are.

I hate to say it folks, but enjoy Petey before he leaves at the end of this contract. We are not going to be a good enough team to retain him. He wants to win, he has Kesler’s fire and he deserves to be with a competent franchise.

We may go nowhere under new coach, it will take time for a new system to take place and the core will figure it out later in the season because of a bad habit from Green's coaching style.  It's very common for new coach to take time before it's noticeable. 

Good example: Joel Quinnville in Chicago before they became good, was fired during mid-season and implemented a new system, took time and they became good.   I'd rather to get good habit and take off by next season. It's a reality.. 

I know this because my friend who was a Blackhawk fan and knew the team very well told me some of their strategy just before they became good and noticed some improvement and it took time and I remember that conversation with him in Maryland and it's interesting to hear that back in 2007 when Blackhawks became good and told me of this strategy, on the fly tactics, and some change to line combination, stuff that they did went off not long after a new coach and it took a few games and it showed..  The roster after new coach and they did not have to do too much to make an roster adjustments, all they needed was a new coach. 

Hopefully a new coach will implement a system where they can shine and it has to be a right coach.  A wrong coach will prolong a misery for a few more years.  

13 hours ago, grandmaster said:

Benning will be fired if he fails to act soon. This team has become ridiculous. Can’t see FA having the patience. This was supposed to be the year we were in the playoff picture. 

A coach changes requires an owner's approval so it cannot be all just Benning but FA's final decision since it's his own pocket.   I think that Benning would like to make a move by firing and hiring a new coach but it will FA's move to make some coaching changes as I'm assuming.  

3 hours ago, D.B Cooper said:

Yeah. Nothing worse than an owner with the pockets and willingness to spend to the max to try to win.  Hahah
The Aqua’s are fine.  Their loyalty to the Canucks management is a pain in the ass, but they aren’t the problem right now.  
They trusted these people to run the team. Unfortunately it’s hot working with this staff.  
I just hope he does what needs to be done before it’s too late. 

This is brought up like it's a rare thing in a league of billionaires. Every team that is competing right now is spending to the cap, there is nothing special about that quality. And when it comes to spending on things like the front office, the Aquas are nickel and diming it.

Even then, there is a price attached to having an ownership group this involved in operations without having the expertise, and the team is paying for it in it's culture and DNA. It is hurting this team more than the monetary contribution that comes from them spending to the cap.

Edited by DSVII
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, DSVII said:

This is brought up like it's a rare thing in a league of billionaires. Every team that is competing right now is spending to the cap, there is nothing special about that quality. And when it comes to spending on things like the front office, the Aquas are nickel and diming it.

Even then, there is a price attached to having an ownership group this involved in operations without having the expertise, and the team is paying for it in it's culture and DNA. It is hurting this team more than the monetary contribution that comes from them spending to the cap.

Tell that to Ottawa, Florida, Arizona, etc… and a bunch of other teams who perpetually suck because they don’t have the funds or owner to spend to the cap to actually compete.  

• Haha 1

Colorado and Toronto did proper rebuilds and they are elite teams, atleast in regular season...  our management didnt want to tank... they surrounded our young prospect with veterans "who know what it takez to win it all" so it really looks like that worked, our players definitely knows how to win em games.. we are spending to the cap, so we basically cant even get better coz we dont have cap for improvements.. we are stuck with this team for a while and we will have to get rid of som1 (Miller?) so we can resign Bo,Hogs,Boeser or Petey in next few years.. but Benning wants to be cOmPeTiTivE in 2 years... HOW? 

3 minutes ago, D.B Cooper said:

Tell that to Ottawa, Florida, Arizona, etc… and a bunch of other teams who perpetually suck because they don’t have the funds or owner to spend to the cap to actually compete.  

The fact that there are owners that penny pinch more doesn't mean that Aqua isn't cheaping out where he can. How else do you explain the shrinking of our front office, organizational hires when there are better options available, and hesitating when it comes to cutting people loose? 

It also needs to be stated that whether or not a team spends to the cap is information that is widely available. For other things that an owner spends money on, you have to dig deeper into the guts of the organization to find that info, which is something most fans don't do.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

He has had enough opportunity and if Benning is let go I won't be surprised.  However for the sake of salvaging this season, he's got one more ace in the hole and that's a coaching change.  

I have zero fear that Benning will trade away our future to save his job.  That's something that keeps being repeated by people that want Benning gone when our team is doing bad or good.  

We will have to agree to disagree.  

You really think that it is a good idea to let Benning choose the third coach? What happens if that doesn't fix things? Fire the GM and fire the new coach?

I'm not sure why you would not be worried about Benning trading away the future, he's shown in the past that he has no issues trading away picks and prospects. Look at the situation we are in now, traded away multiple 1st round picks, multiple 2nd round picks, buyout penalties and bonuses coming in next year, no cap space, no bluechip prospects left in the pipeline. In spite of all this, this team still isn't that good. We're probably better than the way we're playing and a new coach might improve things, but we're not a surefire playoff team.  We are way too thin on defense, no legit 3C, lack genuine penalty killers, and is way too soft. 

2 minutes ago, whysoserious said:

You really think that it is a good idea to let Benning choose the third coach? What happens if that doesn't fix things? Fire the GM and fire the new coach?

I'm not sure why you would not be worried about Benning trading away the future, he's shown in the past that he has no issues trading away picks and prospects. Look at the situation we are in now, traded away multiple 1st round picks, multiple 2nd round picks, buyout penalties and bonuses coming in next year, no cap space, no bluechip prospects left in the pipeline. In spite of all this, this team still isn't that good. We're probably better than the way we're playing and a new coach might improve things, but we're not a surefire playoff team.  We are way too thin on defense, no legit 3C, lack genuine penalty killers, and is way too soft. 

Nah man, there's no way that Benning is trading away more picks to salvage the season.  

We are watching Podkolzin right now, a guy that was not the win-now pick and carried a lot of risk with him. 

I haven't seen anything from Benning that reeks of desperation. I would trade away those 1st rounders to acquire Garland and JT Miller again and again. 

5 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Ill agree with this

6 weeks ago we were cheering the deepest most skilled group we've had since 2012.

Now we're wanting to fire everyone.

I'll give Benning a pass here because much if the on ice issues are 100% green

Who is "we"?

Answer that question for yourself, and you'll understand what the problem is.