The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[New Article] Dom Luszczyszyn: It is time for the Vancouver Canucks to break up with Jim Benning

Rate this topic

Ilya Mikheyev

2 minutes ago, JM_ said:

Linden left in 2018, thats when the rebuild began. Its not correct to keep saying "8". 

So if we are on the same type of track as Detroit, we are a bit ahead of them.

Even if Canucks were not technically rebuilding when the Sedins were still active players. The team was pretty bad that they should have been able to acquire some good players in the system for their depth, which what the team needs now.

keeping young prospects and picks, and getting picks from players that are leaving the end of the season when the team isn't making the playoffs are all things even nom rebuilding teams do that Benning didn't 

• Like 1

Just now, iinatcc said:

Even if Canucks were not technically rebuilding when the Sedins were still active players. The team was pretty bad that they should have been able to acquire some good players in the system for their depth, which what the team needs now.

keeping young prospects and picks, and getting picks from players that are leaving the end of the season when the team isn't making the playoffs are all things even nom rebuilding teams do that Benning didn't 

yup that can be argued for sure. But its revisionist to suggest this team has been rebuilding via youth for 8 years. 

2 minutes ago, CJ44 said:

meh, more spin. The "quick turnaround" was around the Sedin's and a few other remaining vets, it was not a young rebuild. 

If we can't even agree on that, there's no point in discussing it really.

Just now, CJ44 said:

There's lots of articles and interviews prior to 2018 where Linden and Benning reference rebuild and "turning the team around" and "going to compete down the road"....sorry, that's a rebuild. 

OK have it your way. The Sedin's became 20 years old again. 

Just now, JM_ said:

yup that can be argued for sure. But its revisionist to suggest this team has been rebuilding via youth for 8 years. 

meh, more spin. The "quick turnaround" was around the Sedin's and a few other remaining vets, it was not a young rebuild. 

If we can't even agree on that, there's no point in discussing it really.

Lots of links on google as well where Linden himself and Benning reference this much prior to 2018, sorry man you may just be wrong here. I'm wrong all the time, just not here.

Just now, Pears said:

Not gonna lie I still wonder what could have been if they stuck around for one more year for Pettersson’s rookie season. 

If it saved us from signing Roussel and Beagle, that would have been a net win alone.

• Cheers 3

Just now, CJ44 said:

Lots of links on google as well where Linden himself and Benning reference this much prior to 2018, sorry man you may just be wrong here. I'm wrong all the time, just not here.

I'm not wrong. All you have to do is look at the age of the players on the team each year, and how many we drafted in. 

13 minutes ago, stawns said:

They improved every year until getting blasted by covid.  Isn't that what we want?  An upward trajectory?  

It takes a long time to rebuild a franchise and it has many peaks and valley's.  Anyone who was expecting anything different just doesn't know much about hockey, imo.

They were 2nd last in the division when they got blasted by Covid with a 0.473 point percentage (as ranked on 24 March).  Their Covid outbreak was during a break in the schedule - they had played 37 games by then.  

Sportlogiq's tracking technology (via logiqbets) had them allowing more chances than they generated.  They struggled defensively ranking at the bottom in several categories.  In parenthesis their league ranking on their 1st day back from the outbreak.   The season before the picture was not much different - they also allowed more chances than they generated then too and were already ranked bottom-5 defensively.  

For           Against

Shot attempts                    58.2 (15)      63.7 (29)

Shots on net                      29.9 (16)      33.6 (30)

Slot shots                          12.8 (21)      16.0 (31)

Slot pass completions       15.7 (6)       17.2 (31)

Rush chances                    4.6 (31)         7.2 (31)

Cycle chances                   11.4 (2)       11.0 (27)

Forecheck chances           2.7 (24)         3.5 (30)

Rebound chances             1.8 (19)         1.9 (17)

• Thanks 1

Dear Jim,

It's not you, it's us? 

Maybe we should look at replacing Green first? If ownership doesn't trust Benning fire both. 

Keep Clark and Shaw. Get new assistants, ones that know how to teach defence, and be a little creative on the PP? 

And figure how to fix the PK?

Whatever they do dump Weisbrod as well. 

7 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I'm not wrong. All you have to do is look at the age of the players on the team each year, and how many we drafted in. 

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/team-president-trevor-linden-admits-canucks-rebuild/

?? Still not enough? I get he was hesitant to so say "full" rebuild...truth is they were starting to rebuild years prior....if they they weren't they were missing the playoffs and finishing near the bottom of the league from lack of talent and poor coaching? Sedins or not. And if they weren't they should have been because the team was awful. 

Edited by CJ44

4 minutes ago, AV. said:

If it saved us from signing Roussel and Beagle, that would have been a net win alone.

Yeah, I’m sure their contracts combined would’ve been cheaper than it was to get those two, although Roussel was a really good 3rd liner for us before his knee got blown out. 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, ShawnAntoski said:

JB vs Gillis debate goes on cause Gillis has the trophies and JB has the picks.  

The offseason hype, seems to be the biggest factor to fan frustration due to the disastrous start to this season.  I was really, hoping to watching a competitive team on the ice and hopefully, put to rest the JB vs Gillis debate.  Gillis would had been a better PoHO (imo) rather than a GM.  

I think they're both GMs that deserve neither the full defense, nor the full praise. The fact that Green has stayed as long as he has, despite a record that doesn't inspire confidence, is baffling.

• Vintage 1

And like any toxic relationship. There's plenty of gas lighting. Even among the fanbase. It's the fan's/media's fault for contributing to the negativity. It's the fans who are delusional. Isn't this what you wanted? A rebuild? Quit saying the Sky is falling....chicken little... etc... Repeat ad naseum for 8 years. There's nothing left but Apathy.

The Article is spot on.

Edited by DSVII
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, CJ44 said:

It's interesting that around the same period, Green says, "I'm ready" in an article.

4 years later... the Canucks are still not ready for the playoffs. This is on him as much as it is on Benning. Enough of the excuses for the coach. He had one good playoff run, but his season records have been abysmal. The fact that the Canucks extended Green had left me shaking my head. I thought MAYBE Aquilini saw something that we didn't. Turns out Green sucks. Can't believe he got a two year extension for all the poor seasons he had leading up to this.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

Going to an NFL game isn't exactly laying low or hiding out.  Just seems pretty odd considering the state of the team and the then upcoming meeting with Benning. Oh well....who really cares. Looks like its another case of "stay the course".  Aquaman is fortunate to have such a rabid and supportive fan base to take advantage of.  So many markets would struggle.to put 2,000 in the seats with the product he is icing. 

Maybe the only reason they were at the Vegas Knights game was because the trip was actually to go to the Sunday football game.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, DSVII said:

And like any toxic relationship. There's plenty of gas lighting. Even among the fanbase. It's the fan's/media's fault for contributing to the negativity. It's the fans who are delusional, isn't this what you wanted? A rebuild? Quit saying the Sky is falling....chicken little... etc... Repeat ad naseum for 8 years. There's nothing left but Apathy.

The Article is spot on.

The article isn't "spot on". It definitely caters to what this fanbase feels. It's so freaking lazy to point out what many of the fans already knew - that this Benning era was coming to an end if this season didn't pan out the way management wanted.

Anyway, if management thought Green was a good coach, then they should be replaced by people who are more qualified. I don't understand why the Canucks don't pull the plug on Green, but instead drag their feet. What is this extra week going to do?

Edited by Dazzle
  • Cheers 1