The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[New Article] Dom Luszczyszyn: It is time for the Vancouver Canucks to break up with Jim Benning

Rate this topic

Ilya Mikheyev

4 minutes ago, AV. said:

Stupendous article!  

Not surprised the same typical users are downplaying it to "Toronto Athletic writers"...whatever that's supposed to mean lol

While a lot of what he's saying is based in fact, for me it's his smarmy tone, his resemblance to a juvenile hobbit, and his admittance to not actually watching hockey that I find particularly grating. 

• Vintage 4

5 minutes ago, JM_ said:

more mitch marner maybe?

So because this is a Toronto writer (I don't even know if he's Toronto based) that means his opinion is moot? Why?

5 minutes ago, JM_ said:

its one thing to be a fan, another to be anger obsessed. We have too much of that in this market.

If people applied 10% of the advice they put to Jim to their own lives they'd be much better off and not wallow in anger daily over this team. Its too much now.

I mean this is pretty deep psychological analysis based on just what you read from people you don't even know on social media and deflecting from the actual issues which isn't really beneficial to the discourse.

Perhaps the issue is more the hockey team and not whatever the hell you think is wrong with the fans mentally?

Passionate fans aren't exclusive to Vancouver. I, like a lot of people, have been following all 4 major sports for a long time and the reaction I'm seeing here isn't anything close to unique. Not to mention we're quite tame compared to like any soccer fanbase.

Edited by kanucks25
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

Okay - so what would you write about?

Do understand that media is also a business that needs to make money, it so needs to be something that people are actually going to interested in.

Shoot.

One could argue it's the best thing for the team - you must not be a true fan. ;)

Anyone that cheers for their team to lose is not a fan. There are many different adjectives that I would use.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, kanucks25 said:

So because this is a Toronto writer (I don't even know if he's Toronto based) that means his opinion is moot? Why?

I mean this is pretty deep psychological analysis based on just what you read from people you don't even know on social media and deflecting from the actual issues which isn't really beneficial to the discourse.

Perhaps the issue is more the hockey team and not whatever the hell you think is wrong with the fans mentally?

Passionate fans aren't exclusive to Vancouver. I, like a lot of people, have been following all 4 major sports for a long time and the reaction I'm seeing here isn't anything close to unique. Not to mention we're quite tame compared to like any world football fanbase.

I think if following a team makes you angry almost every day, you need to do something else.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2

1 minute ago, JM_ said:

um, no. Some people are just tired of the constant negative spew. And so much of it over low level stuff like Corrado or not picking Vilardi.

Haven't heard either of these gripes in like years til you just brought it up lol

• Haha 1

Just now, kanucks25 said:

Haven't heard either of these gripes in like years til you just brought it up lol

I bring it up because its part of the anger cult. People were so mad about Corrado :lol: but they never corrected that when it turned out he was a dud. The mad just keeps building with some folks.

I see a pretty unhealthy trend in the market and trash/lazy articles out of TO just feed it.

Just once I'd like to see an actual breakdown of systems and ways to improve it, e.g. But nah, instead its more Benning Benning :frantic:

• Vintage 3

Just now, JM_ said:

Just once I'd like to see an actual breakdown of systems and ways to improve it, e.g. But nah, instead its more Benning Benning :frantic:

Isn't that more the job of the analysts you see on T.V.?

And even if one of these writers tried doing that - it'd be met with the same dismissive sentiment: "what does this Toronto writer know about hockey lol he just looks at spreadsheets I'll trust the actual NHL coaches with their gameplan ok thx."

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, JM_ said:

more mitch marner maybe?

its one thing to be a fan, another to be anger obsessed. We have too much of that in this market.

If people applied 10% of the advice they put to Jim to their own lives they'd be much better off and not wallow in anger daily over this team. Its too much now.

So I use to be emotionally attached to this team it bothered me when we lost it angered me when calls went the wrong way. But slowly over the JB era my attachment has faded now all the predictable events from the last 5 years are humorous. I watch every game I still want to win but I just laugh at the GM and coach and the endless fails and hilarious excuses. 
the team Jb built is a league wide joke and it’s been that way for a long time. “ fun to play against”. 
Jb hasn’t damaged the brand he’s destroyed it. he has completed his mission. 

Jb has made it extremely easy for the media he like his team is a joke and the fans that still get upset when reporting failure after failure are the punchline. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, kanucks25 said:

Isn't that more the job of the analysts you see on T.V.?

And even if one of these writers tried doing that - it'd be met with the same dismissive sentiment: "what does this Toronto writer know about hockey lol he just looks at spreadsheets I'll trust the actual NHL coaches with their gameplan ok thx."

we have analysts?

1 minute ago, combover said:

So I use to be emotionally attached to this team it bothered me when we lost it angered me when calls went the wrong way. But slowly over the JB era my attachment has faded now all the predictable events from the last 5 years are humorous. I watch every game I still want to win but I just laugh at the GM and coach and the endless fails and hilarious excuses. 
the team Jb built is a league wide joke and it’s been that way for a long time. “ fun to play against”. 

Jb has made it extremely easy for the media he like his team is a joke and the fans that still get upset when reporting failure after failure are the punchline. 

I guess it depends what you're in it for as a fan. I grew up in a province and city with no NHL team, so I enjoy having it now.

Maybe this city needs to lose its team like Winnipeg did, to gain some perspective.

• Wat 1
  • Vintage 1

14 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

While a lot of what he's saying is based in fact, for me it's his smarmy tone, his resemblance to a juvenile hobbit, and his admittance to not actually watching hockey that I find particularly grating. 

Isn't that why we all dislike certain journalists and writers?

It's fair to criticize the delivery or how it's framed, but to outright dismiss an article because of that (not saying to you specifically, more so referring to some others) is just immature and ignorant.

• Vintage 2

22 minutes ago, JM_ said:

Maybe this city needs to lose its team like Winnipeg did, to gain some perspective.

We need to lose the team so that down the road when we get one again we will be better equipped to accept & handle terrible management?

I would really need to question why you even watch/follow a sports team if you don't care about them winning?

• Vintage 1

27 minutes ago, combover said:

This is about as a good example as any about taking things way too the extreme.   "hasn't damaged the brand he's destroyed it ..."  just wow.   I'm sure glad we didn't have the internet running like we have the past 15 years back during Quins day.   Would be completely ashamed of our fanbase.  

8 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

The goal is to win championships.

Not whatever we've been doing under Benning.

Is our team better than when Benning got it? Do the prospects and signed core players look promising? Did we add players that make the team better despite a losing streak?