The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Colorado Avalanche at Vancouver Canucks | Nov. 17, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, JM_ said:

I'm glad I went last night in person, mostly because I just like going when I can and enjoy the whole thing, but also because when you see it live its painfully clear you are 100% correct. 

The guys really are trying, which actually makes it harder to watch. Maybe it doesn't translate as well on tv but I don't like seeing the "lazy" comments because thats not happening, yet anyway. 

Quinn doing what he did last night is a signal of how much he wants change. He knew what he was doing. 

You are totally correct that watching it live is much different than watching it on tv. I haven’t been live this year but even on tv I don’t see a lot of “lazy” from the players. I see a lot of confusion and guys trying to do too much with no puck support at all in either end though. 

The real tell for me that it’s the coaching and systems is that if you really watch the players they are doing the same things over and over with and away from the puck and are going to the same spots over and over despite it not working. No creativity. No adjusting in game by the players. No adjustments by the coach = no adjustments by the players 100% of the time.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

26 minutes ago, longsuffering said:

Perhaps we need a coach like Sutter who is willing to let even top players sit-out and earn their way back.

Yup. Garland, hoglander and podz have all earned more ice time. Boeser and petey have earned more bench time. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, JM_ said:

to me it looks more like a lack of cohesion or plan, vs. a lack of effort. I saw a lot of good individual efforts, e.g., Myers was pretty physical at times, Podz, Garland stood out as well. But zero puck support or structure, lots of one and done. 

Agreed, its over due for change. I'm honestly surprised at today's presser. 

Always enjoyed your views Jim.  Cheers.

1 minute ago, wallstreetamigo said:

You are totally correct that watching it live is much different than watching it on tv. I haven’t been live this year but even on tv I don’t see a lot of “lazy” from the players. I see a lot of confusion and guys trying to do too much with no puck support at all in either end though. 

The real tell for me that it’s the coaching and systems is that if you really watch the players they are doing the same things over and over with and away from the puck and are going to the same spots over and over despite it not working. No creativity. No adjusting in game by the players. No adjustments by the coach = no adjustments by the players 100% of the time.

Been crying for a "puck possession" system since Hughes joined the team.  It's pretty clear that dumping the puck into the offensive zone is literally handing the puck to the other team.  Opponents can't score if we hold onto the puck most of the game.  Yet what does Green do?  Battle drills at practice because that's totally going to turn things around.  

Man, remember when Gillis got here and asked AV to switch systems to a possession game?  It was such a thing of beauty.  Games against the Red Wings were the best as you can see the full display of talent playing to the best of their abilities and IMO was the best hockey to watch.  Now?  Get it to center and dump it in.  How many time have we seen our players get to the blueline with possession but choose to dump it in instead of skating it in.  Drives me NUTS.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Petey Castiglione said:

Been crying for a "puck possession" system since Hughes joined the team.  It's pretty clear that dumping the puck into the offensive zone is literally handing the puck to the other team.  Opponents can't score if we hold onto the puck most of the game.  Yet what does Green do?  Battle drills at practice because that's totally going to turn things around.  

Man, remember when Gillis got here and asked AV to switch systems to a possession game?  It was such a thing of beauty.  Games against the Red Wings were the best as you can see the full display of talent playing to the best of their abilities and IMO was the best hockey to watch.  Now?  Get it to center and dump it in.  How many time have we seen our players get to the blueline with possession but choose to dump it in instead of skating it in.  Drives me NUTS.

Our offensive system is honestly what frustrates me most. We have skill players capable of carrying the puck into the zone, capable of playing an offensive game. I know every team dumps and chases, but we do it over and over. It's our go to.

Both games against Anaheim were a stark contrast, particularly the last one, they carried the puck into our zone with ease over and over. We saw the Avs managing it last night. Why can't we have a team that does that? Drives me insane.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Petey Castiglione said:

It’s long been my biggest complaint in how Green coaches. How he wants to play should not take priority over how the team needs to play to be successful. That is when you fire your coach actually.

Its also funny that he got rid of every player who actually can play the style he wants. Chiasson hits but is slow af. Highmore is fast but is king of the drive by. Bailey kind of is just there most of the time.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

It’s long been my biggest complaint in how Green coaches. How he wants to play should not take priority over how the team needs to play to be successful. That is when you fire your coach actually.

Its also funny that he got rid of every player who actually can play the style he wants. Chiasson hits but is slow af. Highmore is fast but is king of the drive by. Bailey kind of is just there most of the time.

When he first got here it made sense since we didn't have the horses to play that style.  Now we do and yet nothing has changed.  Coaches are suppose to adapt their systems to the players they have, not the other way around.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, Petey Castiglione said:

When he first got here it made sense since we didn't have the horses to play that style.  Now we do and yet nothing has changed.  Coaches are suppose to adapt their systems to the players they have, not the other way around.

Exactly. 

When you don’t have the horses it’s understandable. He has had the horses for 3 years minimum to change his systems and style of play.

• Vintage 2

41 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

again, you nailed it. Everyone in the building knew exactly what our guys were going to do. It was so easy for Colorado to negate our chances. Yes we did get shots on 5 on 5 but most were not dangerous in the least.

I guess that 5 on 5 mirage is what Jim is clinging to? dunno.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, JM_ said:

again, you nailed it. Everyone in the building knew exactly what our guys were going to do. It was so easy for Colorado to negate our chances. Yes we did get shots on 5 on 5 but most were not dangerous in the least.

I guess that 5 on 5 mirage is what Jim is clinging to? dunno.

That’s the other thing that irritates me with the view of the manager/coach and even the sugar coating by the media. Getting chances at 5 on 5 is not the same as being dangerous with quality chances at 5 on 5.

1 hour ago, JM_ said:

I'm glad I went last night in person, mostly because I just like going when I can and enjoy the whole thing, but also because when you see it live its painfully clear you are 100% correct. 

The guys really are trying, which actually makes it harder to watch. Maybe it doesn't translate as well on tv but I don't like seeing the "lazy" comments because thats not happening, yet anyway. 

Quinn doing what he did last night is a signal of how much he wants change. He knew what he was doing. 

Thought they play pretty well 5v5...

Pk is their down fall big time and Pp not much better...

QH is frustrated just like the rest of the team. Who could blame him with that shyt show...

Unless the PK gets going we'll pick top 8-10....

• Vintage 1

Benning pointed out that 4 of their top PK guys haven't been available.  That's a big number. Especially for this long . I have ti agree with him.  Ya sure,  depth,  but not  many teams have 4 top end penalty killers out for the first 15 games, and have the depth to plug in 4 effective replacements. That's basically ur entire top penalty kill

Dickinson,  Sutter   Motte and Highmore. That kind of hard to replace. One or two is hard nevermind 4 for the entire start of the year.

Edited by cuporbust

7 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

Benning pointed out that 4 of their top PK guys haven't been available.  That's a big number. Especially for this long . I have ti agree with him.  Ya sure,  depth,  but not  many teams have 4 top end penalty killers out for the first 15 games, and have the depth to plug in 4 effective replacements. That's basically ur entire top penalty kill

Dickinson,  Sutter   Motte and Highmore. That kind of hard to replace. One or two is hard nevermind 4 for the entire start of the year.

And that explains the lack of aggressiveness on the pk?

I don’t care who you plug in there they all stand around in a box and make it easy for the opposition.

Sure losing top pkers hurts but that shouldn’t turn you into a sub 50% penalty kill. Even rebuilding teams with no depth pk better than that.

More excuses from management, nothing more.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Cheers 2

12 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

And that explains the lack of aggressiveness on the pk?

I don’t care who you plug in there they all stand around in a box and make it easy for the opposition.

Sure losing top pkers hurts but that shouldn’t turn you into a sub 50% penalty kill. Even rebuilding teams with no depth pk better than that.

More excuses from management, nothing more.

Major excuse.

Do they not have NHL talent? It's not like they put me on the pk.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, wallstreetamigo said:

That’s the other thing that irritates me with the view of the manager/coach and even the sugar coating by the media. Getting chances at 5 on 5 is not the same as being dangerous with quality chances at 5 on 5.

I think the good GA 5 on 5 is a nice add from Shaw, so that and Clark are at least bright spots to build on.

I'm not sure what it will take to force change at this point tho.

• Cheers 1