The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Chicago Blackhawks at Vancouver Canucks | Nov. 21, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

9 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Blaming the players and stating it's not Green's fault implies that keeping Green is acceptable.  It's not, and keeping him around the players is causing permanent damage.  The players can definitely do their part, but it starts by driving the bum sabotaging the team behind the bench and replacing him with someone actually qualified to coach in the NHL.

At the same time if it is the players doing this, How would you feel about having them to  suffer as the fans have, especially  if they blew this opportunity for us to make the playoffs, and kept behaving this way?

It won't cause them any harm, they would be toxic already on their own doing this

They would deserve to be ridiculed by other Team players

Apparently years ago JB went to bat for them to get TT to get them excited about the playoffs and teach them to win

Where is the feeling reciprocated back? they will cost him his job doing this, they couldn't care and respect him much ?

Also IF the playoffs are out of reach now, Do we really want the team winning a few more games to lose a higher draft?

Another option is (if it is the players) might be:

Find out the ones who are not playing for their money, team mates, and fans and move them out for the best trade or draft picks

Guys like that are not team players 

The thing that baffles me is

If they had said at year end meetings that they had any issues with the coach, why did Benning and Aqua still hire him for another 2 years?

If that was the case, then both of them do not know how to run a team and deserve failure (unfortunately that affects us)

Question

There is no NFL or Baseball here so people become fans of other teams

So does one become a fan  of the local team, just because a team is here?

Even though you might despise the Owner, Gm and coaches?

If the players that represent your city are indeed quitters and are an embarrassment and reflection on your city

What keeps someone as a fan of the team in that case?

Since Covid i hardly follow any sports other than the Canucks, (which at times is just in the background sometimes)

When younger i was a fan of sports and would watch any team play, because i enjoyed watching the sports and players pride, commitment and love for the game and not just focus on how much money they can make and maybe not play for the team but themselves- Canucks have had only the usual handful care about effort- money takes away from the sports now

I would rather do something entertaining or play a sport or hobby instead

Covid did have us learn to live our lives without hockey and now apathy for the team is a sad thing

A smart businessman won't let this happen and i expect changes soon

Who can truly say this team is only 1-2 years away ?

We have no idea who will even be here then because it is so unstable

My dad was a huge Canucks fan from opening day and the head of his 24 employees, from the first Canucks playoffs the workers would all bet the Canucks would lose in the playoffs, and he would make that bet with each and every one of them every year up until 2014.

I feel i will follow in his footsteps and never see this team win  now myself :(

Yes fleury played superb tonight but still no excuse of losing to a tired Chicago team.  We know all along that fluery will be playing tonight and coaches should look for ways to help the players on how to solve fleury.  Canucks is way past the saying of “taking positives from a lose”, “moral victories” etc.  have to right the ship NOW and not the BS of being patient and hope best will come… No! Change is needed, and let’s start from the GM and the coaches!

If Klimovich can be ready for next year then we have a ready made replacement for Brock.  That way we can trade Brock for a 2022 1st and a top prospect.  That's what I would do.  Trade Miller for a legit 3C and some help on defense.  And with the extra cap space we can plug the holes on the 4th line with legit penalty killers.

Whether it's Benning or a new GM making those deals, that is what needs to be done in my opinion in order to take the next step.  

Boudreau seems like the best replacement for Green at this point. 

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Why does Green always blender the lines so much? Let someone gain some &^@#ing chemistry. Or at the very least when you see a blendered line have a killer shift, put them out again next time.

I don’t know if it’s stupidity or arrogance at this point. He is over coaching the tactics when he should be revamping the strategic.

What agravates me is the post game interview when he keeps insisting the team played well. Apprently the concept that they're still losing despite his belief just doesn't sink in. It's tough to swallow that despite "playing well" the team is  at the botom of the standing and more than likely out of the play-offs already, 'fess up Travis they're a lousy team

2 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

How did Pettersson play.? Missed the game .

Looked a little more like his old self.

Still refusing to one time it when he has a chance. And when he’s finally forced to he shoots it high or at the defender.

I don’t blame him for that though. Why the coaches keep putting a guy that refuses to shoot in that position is stupid. Put Miller there and we likely have double the chances.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, AC30 said:

Yup - JB put the weight on the shoulders of the youngsters way too soon 

Imagine the Sedins carrying the weight of the team 3 seasons into their lengthy illustrious career - they probably would have crumbled under the pressure much like Petey seems to be 

Not a fan of this POV. 

Both Quinn and Petey played the waiting game all summer and essentially strong armed the team into signing them to fat contracts. Neither of these guys is going to get any pity from me. 

If a guy like Petey keeps playing the way he has for the $$$ he’s received, he’s just as much a handicap to the team as Green is. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

I don't buy all the excuses about goalposts and shot totals.  When you hit the goalpost and it bounces off, your shot was off... and a lot of goalposts were after Fleury got a piece of the puck... and therefore a good save.

Decent teams find a way to win... especially when they are up against a team which is coming off a brutal back to back game.

The shot total is also misleading... there were very few close in chances... most of them were shots from a long distance.

And the same issues with the Canucks' defense remain... they gave up multiple gold plated chances which Demko bailed them out of... wasn't just Fleury playing well.

---

One thing I did notice with all of Green's incessant line juggling...  HE FINALLY FOUND THE COMBINATION TO GET PETTERSSON GOING... but then typically... didn't have the smarts to notice.

Midway through the third he put Pettersson with Garland and Podkolzin... and the line was on fire for the entire shift.  Of course it was... Garland and Podkolzin are exactly the types of players Pettersson needs... they're fluid in their playmaking, they criss cross, they drop pass, they move all over the ice.  Suddenly Petey had the opportunity to use his passing skills.

But the very next shift, the line was gone... never to be seen again.  Green had the key to the door and instead of opening that door, he tossed the key into the garbage.

Now Benning is telling us Green is going nowhere... well if that is what Benning is saying, I change my vote... Benning has to go too.

Yeah, I don't understand the reasoning there.

Like, the reason why you blend the lines is to find a combo that works... and when he found one...

I think one thing that is obvious now is that Garland and Podkolzin can get anyone going. You put Horvat, Miller, EP, Dickinson, or even Lammikko and they would still generate chances.

I think Garland-x-Podkolzin is our real first line.

x-EP-Boeser is a decoy first line to draw out the opposition's best players.

Horvat line is just a match up line at this point. Hoglander's offensive capabilities are being wasted on that line. Horvat and Pearson don't have any idea on how to provide puck support and maintain puck possession to increase offensive zone time. Hoglander is just alone out there every shift.

Next game lines should be:

Garland-Miller-Podkolzin (da real 1st line)

Hoglander-EP-Boeser (decoy 1st line)

Pearson-Horvat-Dickinson (checking line)

Motte-Motte-Motte

Or switch up Motte and Dickinson.

I've been disappointed with Horvat's play as of late. He doesn't look like a top 6 player. Playing with Pearson has made him play like... Pearson.

2 minutes ago, khay said:

Like, the reason why you blend the lines is to find a combo that works... and when he found one...

I think one thing that is obvious now is that Garland and Podkolzin can get anyone going. You put Horvat, Miller, EP, Dickinson, or even Lammikko and they would still generate chances.

Horvat line is just a match up line at this point. Hoglander's offensive capabilities are being wasted on that line. Horvat and Pearson don't have any idea on how to provide puck support and maintain puck possession to increase offensive zone time. Hoglander is just alone out there every shift.

Motte-Motte-Motte

I've been disappointed with Horvat's play as of late. He doesn't look like a top 6 player. Playing with Pearson has made him play like... Pearson.

Have you watched any of the last 50 or so nuck games?  Boeser and petey have zero chemistry.   

Edited by EddieVedder

10 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

If Klimovich can be ready for next year then we have a ready made replacement for Brock.  That way we can trade Brock for a 2022 1st and a top prospect.  That's what I would do.  Trade Miller for a legit 3C and some help on defense.  And with the extra cap space we can plug the holes on the 4th line with legit penalty killers.

Whether it's Benning or a new GM making those deals, that is what needs to be done in my opinion in order to take the next step.  

Boudreau seems like the best replacement for Green at this point. 

Hogz, podz and garland have already replaced Boeser.  Klim will make him even more expendable

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, khay said:

Motte-Motte-Motte

The Pettersson/Podkolzin/Garland line generated the single best chance in the game... the one where Petey fed a driving Podkolzin with a perfect pass right in front of the net and only a miraculous save by Fleury and a goalpost stopped it going in.

Also have to question why the heck Green is putting Dickenson in the top 6. 

I have watched him blow gold plated chance after chance... missed one timers, not shooting fast enough, fumbling passes, etc. etc. etc.

He should be on the third or fourth lines.

Edited by *Buzzsaw*

4 minutes ago, khay said:

Motte-Motte-Motte

I have an idea.  Play Horvat with Podkolzin and Garland.  Keep the Lotto line as the decoy line.  Horvat will get out of his slump and we would be playing with 2 #1 lines.

The 3rd line you can have Pearson  Dickinson  Hoglander.  I would try this out for a full game.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

oh but he managed to destroy the team/culture in that time frame

Team was in a mess (no pun intended) before he got here.  He made it worse true but the nightmare was less than two years.  We've had Green & Willie D for 7 years.  Not worse but still it's the length of the purgatory that's the issue.

4 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

Boeser and petey have zero chemistry.  

and this is really strange, because they used to play together with Miller, aka Lotto Line. How is it that their chemistry has now just suddenly fallen off the cliff?