The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

1 minute ago, spook007 said:

Tanev and marky was kept because of bubble play offs... 

Demko only broke through during the play offs... before that a lot of CDC'ers wanted to keep Marky and trade Demko... Glad that didn't happen. The cost of this was to let go of Marky for free afterwards... Demko would have been snapped up by Seattle

Lets just look forward and hope it all ends well for us...

There are plenty of teams that would have made offers on demko before the expansion draft. No way we would have lost him for nothing. I'm glad we kept demko though, Marky is great but I don't think his body will hold up throughout his big contract.

I think the biggest hit was losing tanev, if you take hamonic off the team and put tanev back on we are so much better and Quinn would have the Ying to his yang.

• Vintage 2

Just now, coryberg said:

There are plenty of teams that would have made offers on demko before the expansion draft. No way we would have lost him for nothing. I'm glad we kept demko though, Marky is great but I don't think his body will hold up throughout his big contract.

I think the biggest hit was losing tanev, if you take hamonic off the team and put tanev back on we are so much better and Quinn would have the Ying to his yang.

I agree with losing Tanev... yet have to say prior to him leaving almost every trade proposed had Tanev as part of it, and I don't think many really realised how much the team would struggle without him until it happened. 

Tanev had a lot of injuries here, and that was one of the concerns from fans... That he turned into Iron man since he left for Flames, not many envisaged... 

Maybe playing under Boudreau would have made him less injury prone... one can only guess...

But yes Tanev was a perfect foil to Hughes... It one of the reason, I'm not too concerned about us acquiring a d-men based on points... Need one to compliment Hughes...

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Warhippy said:

If I am speaking to Colorado my ask starts with Byram and their 1st.  Miller and if they could add him, Kane would make them the unequivocal threat for a cup win.  Barring their goaltending of course which would still be suspect.

20 years old. 4th overall a couple years ago. 
Had like 11 points and solid defence in like 17-18 games.    The kid is amazing.  
Pretty much untouchable.    
Avs wouldn’t trade him for Miller 1 for 1, let alone as a middle piece in a trade including a 1st +. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Yeah, but Petey said this summer that he wants to play for organization that wins. We’re currently not that organization or team. 

So does he want out after this current contract is done? 

He may.... but selling him now, would be selling him at his lowest value... same with Brock... with Petey wait until next year, and if it doesn't work by all mean let him go.

10 minutes ago, spook007 said:

I agree with losing Tanev... yet have to say prior to him leaving almost every trade proposed had Tanev as part of it, and I don't think many really realised how much the team would struggle without him until it happened. 

Tanev had a lot of injuries here, and that was one of the concerns from fans... That he turned into Iron man since he left for Flames, not many envisaged... 

Maybe playing under Boudreau would have made him less injury prone... one can only guess...

But yes Tanev was a perfect foil to Hughes... It one of the reason, I'm not too concerned about us acquiring a d-men based on points... Need one to compliment Hughes...

As I recall, the Nucks coaching staff finally figured how to utilize Chris without making him vulnerable to injury.  In his final year, he played a full season and 17 playoff games.  Had his best offensive season as well.

He is still missed, but soon they will find a player that can fulfill his role even better.

Demko and Garland are great replacements for Marks and Toffi.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, D.B Cooper said:

20 years old. 4th overall a couple years ago. 
Had like 11 points and solid defence in like 17-18 games.    The kid is amazing.  
Pretty much untouchable.    
Avs wouldn’t trade him for Miller 1 for 1, let alone as a middle piece in a trade including a 1st +. 

I strongly suggest looking at comparable trades for 1st line ppg centres before making an absolute statement of that nature.

How do you think Colorado drafted Byram

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

As I recall, the Nucks coaching staff finally figured how to utilize Chris without making him vulnerable to injury.  In his final year, he played a full season and 17 playoff games.  Had his best offensive season as well.

He is still missed, but soon they will find a player that can fulfill his role even better.

Demko and Garland are great replacements for Marks and Toffi.

Yes you are right...

But I'm sure you also remember all the proposals that included Tanev... injury prone and too old..  (same as being said about alot of our D's now, although I totally disagree)...

Totally agree all.

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Yes you are right...

But I'm sure you also remember all the proposals that included Tanev... injury prone and too old..  (same as being said about alot of our D's now, although I totally disagree)...

Totally agree all.

So far, we have JT, Bo, Pete, Brock, Motte, Pears, Dixy, Poolman, Hamonic, Rathbone

It's fun playing around with various trades, but they don't usually happen the way we think.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

37 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I strongly suggest looking at comparable trades for 1st line ppg centres before making an absolute statement of that nature.

How do you think Colorado drafted Byram

You could be right……… but I don’t think so.  Lol.  
Maybe on HF, but not here. Hahah

5 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

It’s funny that Colorado is so good, except for their goaltending. 

Who else in their prospects pool do they have that we would want? 

I know Makar is untouchable for them, or close to it. Byram isn’t a RHD, though, is he? And their 1st could be lower than NY’s. 

Their target is Giroux per Friedman - right hand C and UFA.  

I think if Miller is asked , and he says he wants to stay,.  This management group will make it happen .

He is everything this team needs ,  he is positive in every check box.

There are others worth trading that will bring everything that’s missing here.

But to move this vet moves us back 3 years, and leaves us without his powerhouse leadership.. the latter almost irreplaceable.

The argument here is his trade value and that he will bring the best return.

The return is unknown,.  And will definitely not return what we lose in Miller.

Others traded might not bring the “best” return, but they should be able bring the right returns to the positional strengths we need.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

9 hours ago, SilentSam said:

I think if Miller is asked , and he says he wants to stay,.  This management group will make it happen .

But to move this vet moves us back 3 years, and leaves us without his powerhouse leadership.. the latter almost irreplaceable.

Others traded might not bring the “best” return, but they should be able bring the right returns to the positional strengths we need.

Miller can play rhd now?

10 hours ago, SilentSam said:

And what assets do they have that will bring anything close to Miller?

21 hours ago, aGENT said:

A veteran to lead those "kids" Trouba, Kreider, Panarin, Zib etc?

Rangers have cap space and they can either let Strome walk or move someone else (Kreider?) to retain Miller. A team looking to win, with a need for a gritty top 6 C, will find space to keep him.

I keep reading, the Rangers have enough to retain Miller after his current deal is up. However, I just don’t see it. They have a ton of players coming off their entry level deals, and I think they are more of a priority then re-signing Miller to a huge contract. I mean, there’s a reason why they moved Buchnevich.

They could possibly move Krieder’s contract, but if you have the option of a 32-yrs old with 4 more years at 6.5M or re-signing a 30-yrs old to a 8M+, 6+yrs deal. I think I would choose the former and hope Krieder can continue to play at a high level at that age. Trading Krieder would also mean giving up more assets to a team to take on his contract, which the Rangers probably will not have, if they trade for Miller.

Edited by shiznak

1 hour ago, stawns said:

And what assets do they have that will bring anything close to Miller?

Horvat / Boeser  …

why does it  h a v e to be what Miller would bring. Why can it not be a lesser value?

Miller has proved to be more to this club than either of the above.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, SilentSam said:

Will trading Horvat or Boeser not bring a RHD ?

Is moving Horvat or Boeser a condemnable offence?

At this point, they'll be lucky to get a 2nd or 3rd for Boeser.......if it's a roster player, it's likely a reclamation project of some kind, a #4-5-6 dman, like Myers out of Nash.  Boes has very little value right now.

I see zro logic in keeping 29 year old Miller on a long deal that will take him into his declining years and move Horvat whop is just coming into his prime.  By doing that, you are saying they are ready to win right now..........is that what you think?

42 minutes ago, shiznak said:

I keep reading, the Rangers have enough to retain Miller after his current deal is up. However, I just don’t see it. They have a ton of players coming off their entry level deals, and I think they are more of a priority then re-signing Miller to a huge contract. I mean, there’s a reason why they moved Buchnevich.

They could possibly move Krieder’s contract, but if you have the option of a 32-yrs old with 4 more years at 6.5M or re-signing a 30-yrs old to a 8M+, 6+yrs deal. I think I would choose the former and hope Krieder can continue to play at a high level at that age. Trading Krieder would also mean giving up more assets to a team to take on his contract, which the Rangers probably will not have, if they trade for Miller.

but they do get Miller for two legitimate shots at the Cup on a sweetheart deal.  For teams looking to get to that level, especially big market teams, that's huge.

33 minutes ago, stawns said:

but they do get Miller for two legitimate shots at the Cup on a sweetheart deal.  For teams looking to get to that level, especially big market teams, that's huge.

Are they willing to mortgage their future for an off chance of winning a Cup? What if, they don’t win in those two years? Then they essentially lose Strome and Miller to free agency; Chytil and Schneider in a trade, and a first. Their center depth will be completely gutted.

Like I mention in another thread, it would be a lot cheaper for them to go get a rental player (ie Giroux, Pavelski) without selling the future.