The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

2 hours ago, Canucks Curse said:

Speaking of the wild 

do you think they would trade Calen Addison for hoglander?

afdison was drafted by….Alvin 

No.  Addison is ear-marked as Dumba's replacement which could be as early as next season with how ugly their cap looks going forward.  There's also no real fit for Höglander.  

When Guerin took over, the 1st trade call was from Rutherford asking for Zucker.  Guerin waited out until Rutherford agreed to also add Addison in the deal.

Edited by mll

51 minutes ago, mll said:

No.  Addison is ear-marked as Dumba's replacement which could be as early as next season with how ugly their cap looks going forward.  There's also no real fit for Höglander.  

When Guerin took over, the 1st trade call was from Rutherford asking for Zucker.  Guerin waited out until Rutherford agreed to also add Addison in the deal.

I agree, for Hoglander.  But if the Wild have any interest in acquiring Boeser, Addison should be a 'must' in the return package.

2 hours ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

I agree, for Hoglander.  But if the Wild have any interest in acquiring Boeser, Addison should be a 'must' in the return package.

The Wild are really unlikely to be interested in Boeser though.   They will have to create space in the off-season because their dead cap is going to increase by 8M to reach 13M.  Boeser is also not the best fit with how they want to play and how they are set up. 

Edited by mll

1 hour ago, Russ said:

Oh geeze JT was just going off in trade proposals all last night on Twitter.  It was quite the fights between people asking the moon and people saying he's ok.

People are stupid. JT is the best player in all these stupid trade rumours, better than Giroux even.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

After listening to David Amber this morning I’m thinking this would be Toronto’s trade proposal 

does it move the needle?

To Toronto:

JT Miller

To Vancouver

Kerfoot

Robertson 

Topi Niemela

2022 1st Round pick 

decent RHD prospect, Decent forward Prospect, a 3rd line Center with a good contract and a first round pick 

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Off_The_Schneid! said:

After listening to David Amber this morning I’m thinking this would be Toronto’s trade proposal 

does it move the needle?

To Toronto:

JT Miller

To Vancouver

Kerfoot

Robertson 

Topi Niemela

2022 1st Round pick 

decent RHD prospect, Decent forward Prospect, a 3rd line Center with a good contract and a first round pick 

No way, that's garbage.  The 1st might be good though, as I'm assuming TOR is out in the 1st round

10 hours ago, Nave said:

He'd be pretty sick with Pettersson. Him and Horvat could talk about their London Knights days.

You Son of a Bitch, I'm In | Know Your Meme

Kidding aside. Isn't the reason we might trade Miller because we don't want to give him a huge contract? How is taking in $11M/year achieving that? 

Not that I think even Toronto would be that stupid, but I'd look at it as dumping cap with Miller. 

Marner for Miller+Dickinson+Poolman

I feel we're stuck with Dickinson and Poolman for the duration of their contracts, so...

Miller + Dickinson + Poolman = $10.4M out (Dickinson is paid until 2023-24, Poolman until 2024-25)

Marner = $10.9M in (he is paid until 2024-25)

If we re-upped Miller at $8.5M, it's basically $8.5M + $2.65M + $2.5M = $13.65M vs $10.9M.

Marner is also great on the PK, so that would help a lot.

57 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Not that I think even Toronto would be that stupid, but I'd look at it as dumping cap with Miller. 

Marner for Miller+Dickinson+Poolman

I feel we're stuck with Dickinson and Poolman for the duration of their contracts, so...

Miller + Dickinson + Poolman = $10.4M out (Dickinson is paid until 2023-24, Poolman until 2024-25)

Marner = $10.9M in (he is paid until 2024-25)

If we re-upped Miller at $8.5M, it's basically $8.5M + $2.65M + $2.5M = $13.65M vs $10.9M.

Marner is also great on the PK, so that would help a lot.

Except that is three roster players for one roster player.

We still have to pay guys for those other two spots.

I try to re-sign Miller at $8.5 million x 6 years in the summer before doing any sort of deal like that.

Neither of those choices is great though.

6 minutes ago, Provost said:

Except that is three roster players for one roster player.

We still have to pay guys for those other two spots.

I try to re-sign Miller at $8.5 million x 6 years in the summer before doing any sort of deal like that.

Neither of those choices is great though.

I reckon if Poolman is healthy, he still wouldn't draw into the lineup given how Schenn and Hamonic are playing.  He'd be $2.5M on the cap and sitting in the press box.  Dickinson is probably not far off from that either.  That's $5.15M sitting in the press box and impacting our cap since their replacement players would be on the ice, and hitting the cap as well.  They're basically dead cap moving forward if we keep them on the roster.

I'd rather use that dead cap than having it sit in the press box.

Just now, HKSR said:

I reckon if Poolman is healthy, he still wouldn't draw into the lineup given how Schenn and Hamonic are playing.  He'd be $2.5M on the cap and sitting in the press box.  Dickinson is probably not far off from that either.  That's $5.15M sitting in the press box and impacting our cap since their replacement players would be on the ice, and hitting the cap as well.  They're basically dead cap moving forward if we keep them on the roster.

I'd rather use that dead cap than having it sit in the press box.

That is still $2-3 million to replace those roster spots with other players.

Even then, I would rather Miller at what he would cost than Marner at what he costs.

Toronto signed all those deals assuming that cap inflation would make them cheaper over the long run.  That isn’t going to happen, so those deals are not aging well.

Friedman is talking about TOR wanting Miller and Schenn

Who would TOR have that VAN could use?  Not sure Marner fits, even if TOR picks up some of his salary). The guy disappears in the playoffs.

Kerfoot, Dermott, Liligren and 1st?

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Who would TOR have that VAN could use?  Not sure Marner fits, even if TOR picks up some of his salary). The guy disappears in the playoffs.

That’s just it, they don’t really have what the Canucks need. 

This rumor stinks of TO media trying to stir up a story. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Toronto has garbage prospects and overhyped players.

No way we ever do a deal with them. But thanks for boosting Millers value!

• Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Toronto has garbage prospects and overhyped players.

No way we ever do a deal with them. But thanks for boosting Millers value!

Just trying to think realistically, the return for Miller.  I'm not a fan of TOR's players, but JR said they want to get younger and faster. Maybe there is no deal to be made with TOR, Friedman just trying to crank up the hype machine for Leafs and Canucks fans.  

3 minutes ago, Screw said:

I’m ok if the TO hype machine talks up Miller.    They have nothing Vancouver could use as I see it.

This.  TO can inquire all they want, we just need them to pump up The bidding war. 

Let's see, Miller has been tied to the Rangers, Wild, Leafs, Av's, Capitals, anyone else?  I'm sure Bruins will have interest and maybe another team out east like the Penguins as I can't see us moving Miller within the division.

On 11/22/2021 at 5:35 PM, Podzilla said:

It would not be a 1 for 1 trade that is for sure...

48 minutes ago, BabychStache said:

That’s just it, they don’t really have what the Canucks need. 

This rumor stinks of TO media trying to stir up a story. 

Toronto doesn't have good enough prospects or the Dman we would want in return...they make no sense as a trade partner. 

Edited by Harold Drunken
  • Like 1