The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

58 minutes ago, garthsbutcher said:

No, he’s playing as a 20 year old against kids

lol, I keep pouring over Rangers assets and articles and saw his name pop up. His stat progression is nice but I guess he's just big, and 20 with a good shot. I don't think I realized he was 20, otherwise that would be damn good, lol. 

Alrighty, carrying on. Othmann sounds a heck of a lot better. I know Schnieder is preferred by most but I think Lundqvist could very well be the better defender in the long run. In my opinion either is a huge step towards remaking our D, which is paramount to this teams future. Currently we have about 6 forwards that are young, make decent money, and are bonafide NHL players worthy of a spot in almost any NHL team. Petterson, Horvat, Boeser, Podkolzin, Hoglander, and maybe Lammikko. That's 6/12 spots secured. 

With that I would conclude our forwards are about 50% set. On the other hand we have the defensive side where I would only include Hughes as a young player making fair money who I would think a team wants to build around. That's only 1/6 or 17%. The other hockey position is goaltender and we have Demko, that's gotta be about 80% secure or more.

This is why I keep arguing for a Miller trade is because the defence needs to become a respected position for the Canucks again. We can't just keep trotting out rubbish 60% of the time and expect better results. It's impossible to beat the Panthers, Avs, Hurricanes, Rangers, and Penguins, and even the Oilers sometimes this way.

I've found sometimes in life if you have a problem you should just actually address it fully and solve it, instead of a bunch of possible solutions. Miller trade does this more than anything. I'm a little tired of throwing half ass solutions out like Hamonic/Poolman, Schmidt, Stetcher, Benn, Garrison, Pouliot, Gudbranson, Biega, Larsson, and on and on. You have to give to get.

Lundqvist, Othmann, Chytil, 1st

That is something I would seriously consider.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Cheers 3

1 hour ago, RWJC said:

Miller and Pearson to Pens for Poulin, Joseph, Kaspanen and a 1st round pick?

When Zucker comes off IR for playoffs, adding Miller, this gives the Pens their final window to push for another Cup (maybe 2) with Sid, Geno and Letang.

Essentially JR again wipes out PIT’s prospect pool but this time brings it with him here.  Not sure PIT does this though, considering the long term damage it does, but it dramatically increases playoff chances. Thoughts?

That doesn't even begin to make it a deal I'd seriously consider considering the assets involved from our end, and especially as we'd have to retain salary to make it work realistically so that the penguins could afford to do a little bit more off to the side of that.  Kapanen is a salary piece, who is also a complimentary player.  He comes back because you need someone ready to play now, but also mainly for the salary component.  I'd rather see Marino in that place, as, well, he fits a need, his salary is comparable, and it works for both teams.  That's the 'hockey trade' part out of the way.  From the quality of the other pieces, you better start jacking up those picks, and adding to the pile.  The media for all of Pittsburgh, NYR, and Boston have us jumping at packages that leave me a little insulted, and possibly a bit angry.  I mean, I get it.  I'd  trade the least amount possible to get the player I want too.  But they're starting to fall into the realm of raymond, ballard and a first territory.

• Cheers 1

Still think the Kings are a great trading partner for the Canucks + Boeser.  They are low on RW and LD, while loaded with

RD and C.   Brown is a UFA at the end of the season and at 36yrs, his numbers are dropping quickly.  Brock would fit perfectly as the #1RW alongside Kopitar.

Meanwhile, LA also has 3 very good vet C's, as well as Byfield, Kaliyev, Lizotte and Turcotte, Valardi and Kupari playing in the AHL.

For RD, they have 3 playing well + Walker on LTIR. Prospects include Brandt (killing the OHL) while Grans + Spencer

are playing in the AHL.

To LA  Boeser + Rathbone

To Van  Turcotte C +  Grans RD  

Turcotte: playmaker 2-way C with elite skating and hockey smarts.  Need I say more?  He has several quality C's

to pass in LA, but would likely play 3C in Van next season.  Projection: top 6

Grans :transitional player, with a great 1st pass.  To be more effective defensively, he needs to

get stronger physically (which shouldn't be a problem for him, considering his frame).  Projection: 2nd RD

https://hockeyroyalty.com/2021/09/23/ontario-reign-previewing-helge-grans-2021-22-season/

I think Quinn's defensive game is at a level where he no longer requires the big, defensive-defensman partner anymore. 

Pair him with a dman that plays the transitional game and is creative offensively.  Grans is probably 1-2 yrs away from

becoming an NHL player as he needs to grow into his large frame and continue improving his defensive game.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

We lose on every single proposal on this board.

We should be building around Miller. We have the best power forward in the league for next season at 5.5m? Extend him, give him what he wants with a modified no movement that suits both parties' needs and then figure out how to add another top 4 RHD to the mix.

I expect big things from Hogs and Podz. We are looking good up front as these guys grow into their roles as pros.

Every proposal/rumour here is a futures type move that revolves around getting younger.

I'm tired of this seemingly unanimous philosophy. We need more veterans. This team needs leadership. All the best teams have all star calibre thirty somethings on their team. Our young stars (you know who I'm talking about) aren't natural leaders. I'm sorry but the only way I'm OK with Miller being traded is if we are certain he won't re sign here.

Any other option is a losing endeavour. He's our best player. Admit it and let's stop with the "we need to get younger and be ready to compete in 2-3 years" narrative.

Try selling that to the rest of this team. You move core players like Millsy for picks you will lose the room.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bad alice french said:

We should be building around Miller. We have the best power forward in the league for next season at 5.5m? Extend him, give him what he wants with a modified no movement that suits both parties' needs and then figure out how to add another top 4 RHD to the mix.

I expect big things from Hogs and Podz. We are looking good up front as these guys grow into their roles as pros.

Every proposal/rumour here is a futures type move that revolves around getting younger.

I'm tired of this seemingly unanimous philosophy. We need more veterans. This team needs leadership. All the best teams have all star calibre thirty somethings on their team. Our young stars (you know who I'm talking about) aren't natural leaders. I'm sorry but the only way I'm OK with Miller being traded is if we are certain he won't re sign here.

Any other option is a losing endeavour. He's our best player. Admit it and let's stop with the "we need to get younger and be ready to compete in 2-3 years" narrative.

Try selling that to the rest of this team. You move core players like Millsy for picks you will lose the room.

If they're building around a player coming out of his prime and into his 30's, it's going to be a painful 8 years or so.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, stawns said:

If they're building around a player coming out of his prime and into his 30's, it's going to be a painful 8 years or so.

He's a core player. He's 28. Just entering his prime. Heart and soul of the team. Sniper. Physical. Bomb for a shot. Will drop the gloves. PPG player. Big. Fast. Built for the playoffs. Durable. This guy ticks every box you can think of.

Yeah let's trade him because he won't be this good in 7 years. Ridiculous.

Edited by bad alice french
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, bad alice french said:

He's a core player. He's 28. Just entering his prime. Heart and soul of the team. Sniper. Physical. Bomb for a shot. Will drop the gloves. PPG player. Big. Fast. Built for the playoffs. Durable. This guy ticks every box you can think of.

He'll be 30 before he plays a single game of that contract. Are you telling me you have zero concerns. How does a 4x9 LE contract grab you?

• Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, bad alice french said:

Lol and how do you propose the team compete now instead of 2-3 years? Trading boeser? Hoglander and podz in ur top 6?? They are clearly not ready to be full time top 6 players and if they are ur top 6.. better pray we win games 1-0 2-1 every night..  wheres the goals gonna come from? So how does the defense magically fix itself next season? There's literally 0 moves the team can make that will make this team a cup contender now.. but management should hypnotize themselves to convince this team will be a cup contenders for years to come with a minor move or 2 so they can fit into miller's prime window?

• Cheers 3

8 minutes ago, bad alice french said:

lets trade him because I have zero doubts that he's headed south after this contract is up and his value will never be higher than it is right now

• Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, bad alice french said:

He'll be 29 in 15 days actually

And there's a good chance he's actually at his peak, or close to it, players peaking during their early 30's is pretty uncommon 

• Cheers 2

9 minutes ago, bad alice french said:

No offense meant at all Alice but you’re coming into a proposal section of the board that is all about hypothetical trades and movement.

Should we shut down the entire section based on your assessment/hopes for Miller? 

I love him as a player but like anything else he’s an asset in a business. It’s entirely fair and plausible for anyone to make proposals about his value and what folks might think he’s worth to us or his return from another team.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Also, can we stop going on about Miller's willingness to drop the gloves? He's got seven career fights, four with the Rangers and three here.

Cool, he's averaged a fight a season here, big whoop. Stop acting like he's genuinely fighty, he may play with heart but fighting isn't his game.

• Cheers 1