The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

12 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Yeah I agree. The media's paid to speculate but that doesn't mean they're going to know any better in the end plus there are a lot of factors in between now and July 1st even. After that, there's still an entire year even to get this deal done if it happens.

That being said, it should be interesting to see if/when the deal gets done. We've been used to seeing Benning take his time in these signings in the past. Will we see more of the same in that regard or will there be contracts signed more sooner than later? One could argue we have a lot of skill in the front office with the recent hirings, but that could mean a lot of things. We could play more hardball with the players in the negotiations to make it take longer. We could have better communication skills and quicker thinking to get things done faster. It could mean anything.

Agree that management will want to get on this and resolve it one way or the other.  If they can't make an acceptable deal with Miller's camp, they have up to free agency to deal him on favourable terms.  After that, teams lose roster flexibility and there will be fewer potential partners.  But I still think there's a decent chance of Miller re-signing here and that some of these "insider" leaks may reflect preliminary discussions. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, Maniwaki Canuck said:

Agree that management will want to get on this and resolve it one way or the other.  If they can't make an acceptable deal with Miller's camp, they have up to free agency to deal him on favourable terms.  After that, teams lose roster flexibility and there will be fewer potential partners.  But I still think there's a decent chance of Miller re-signing here and that some of these "insider" leaks may reflect preliminary discussions. 

I mean, yes, if you look at things strictly from Miller without considering other factors. However, who know what other transactions happen in between now and then. Maybe we end up more flexible by that point? Who knows. lol

Zibanejad is good comparison, but I certainly hope that's not the term they're giving Miller.

8 years at $8.5 for a 29 year old player?  

I'd go as high as 6 years at $8.5  (or 5 years at $9),  but Miller might still want to play in the US and he may ask for the maximum to play in VAN. That's a heck of a commitment for a player, I've seen on many occasions, just give up on plays. Tough call. 

I think the GMs are planning the core, who to build the team around. Could this be it?

Miller and Horvat - Leaders, top scorers and Top 6Cs

Pettersson, Podkolzin, Hoglander - Top 6 wingers

Lammikko, Highmore, Lockwood - Bottom 6

OEL and Schenn - Veteran Ds

Hughes, Dermott and Rathbone - young Ds

Demko

Trade:  Boeser, Garland, Pearson, Dickinson, Myers, Poolman - Fortify the D, add young players (another Top 6 winger) and picks

FA - add to Bottom 6, add backup goalie (or go with Martin), add depth

6 hours ago, Jester13 said:

8.5 I would do; it's the term that scares me.

100% this. For those of us who want to trade Miller it has little to do with the AAV and definitely not the player. The term is what terrifies me about signing Miller. If he is willing to take a 5 year term, heck yeah, let's do it. But I would be extremely nervous if we went any longer then 5.

I personally have a hard time seeing Miller's game age overly gracefully once he starts past his prime. Guy always leads the forwards in hits and plays hard minutes. I just picture his descent to be quick once his play slows down and he doesn't have access to that higher gear anymore. 

Edited by Shayster007
  • Vintage 2

58 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

100% this. For those of us who want to trade Miller it has little to do with the AAV and definitely not the player. The term is what terrifies me about signing Miller. If he is willing to take a 5 year term, heck yeah, let's do it. But I would be extremely nervous if we went any longer then 5.

I personally have a hard time seeing Miller's game age overly gracefully once he starts past his prime. Guy always leads the forwards in hits and plays hard minutes. I just picture his decent to be quick once his play slows down and he doesn't have access to that higher gear anymore. 

There is this for sure.

But I would like to add, I think that what happens is whether they think they can make a move or 2 in the summer and become competitive in a hurry or will it take longer....2, 3, 4 years?  If it's going to take longer, then Miller may be aged out before they are truly competitive.  Miller 29 (just had his birthday) is only 2 years older than Horvat (b'day early April).

Of course the bare bones core is young  Petey (23), Hughes (22), Demko (26)

1 hour ago, Crabcakes said:

There is this for sure.

But I would like to add, I think that what happens is whether they think they can make a move or 2 in the summer and become competitive in a hurry or will it take longer....2, 3, 4 years?  If it's going to take longer, then Miller may be aged out before they are truly competitive.  Miller 29 (just had his birthday) is only 2 years older than Horvat (b'day early April).

Of course the bare bones core is young  Petey (23), Hughes (22), Demko (26)

I just don't see how this team can be anywhere close to competing for real when you look at the other top teams in the league...

That D core is just so suspect to me, our forward depth isn't anywhere close, and our organizational depth is not cup contending. 

This team has played unreal since Bruce has come in, but I still don't see this team competing in a best of 7 against Florida or Carolina. I think our young core has potential, but they need time and support for several more years before it's go time. I don't want go time starting with a 32 year old Miller, likely on the decline, getting paid 9 million.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

11 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

I just don't see how this team can be anywhere close to competing for real when you look at the other top teams in the league...

That D core is just so suspect to me, our forward depth isn't anywhere close, and our organizational depth is not cup contending. 

This team has played unreal since Bruce has come in, but I still don't see this team competing in a best of 7 against Florida or Carolina. I think our young core has potential, but they need time and support for several more years before it's go time. I don't want go time starting with a 32 year old Miller, likely on the decline, getting paid 9 million.

I agree.  I've said this before, I think that they're going to move somebody who people will be upset about.  They have to.  I'm not sure who it will be and it may be 2 players who some people think are core but holes in the line up have to be filled.

Good teams nowadays have 3 lines who can score.  They badly need a 3C at the right price.

The D needs reworking.  I'm liking Dermot so far.  Step 1

I think the right money and term will be worked out with Miller..

I think the bigger “sticking” point will be the ability to move him.

I think it would be fair for team AND player to able to start that “limited” process in year 4.

If we aren’t ready to push deep for a Cup by then, it should only be fair that this player gets that opportunity in his career to be on a team that is,.  And hopefully we can rebuild with a fair return then.

My feelings all along in this matter is Miller is a bigger contributor to this team , than his point totals right now.

Yes,  his numbers might decline somewhat, but his leadership by example ability , won’t .

We are NOT talking about another LE , or Tavares “like” contract..

This will be a very well thought out contract for both parties.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Crabcakes said:

I agree.  I've said this before, I think that they're going to move somebody who people will be upset about.  They have to.  I'm not sure who it will be and it may be 2 players who some people think are core but holes in the line up have to be filled.

Good teams nowadays have 3 lines who can score.  They badly need a 3C at the right price.

The D needs reworking.  I'm liking Dermot so far.  Step 1

We need a top 4, Myers is fine but won't be when it's time. He have 2 in Hughes and OEL. That's it, with minimal coming up in the pipeline. We need to get lucky or create luck. This team is still a long ways away from being a top contender. I don't want to slip in and try to go on a miracle run, I want a team that can actually compete.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

We need a top 4, Myers is fine but won't be when it's time. He have 2 in Hughes and OEL. That's it, with minimal coming up in the pipeline. We need to get lucky or create luck. This team is still a long ways away from being a top contender. I don't want to slip in and try to go on a miracle run, I want a team that can actually compete.

You are discounting the value of having kids play in the playoffs for as many games as they can go. Invaluable lessons learned for the next time, toward a Cup.

You don’t just park your a$$ at the golf course until the year you think you have all the pieces. You’ll get decimated due to inexperience alone.

So much un calculated in this type of mentality. Still “why try if you’re not gonna get it anyways”.

That’s a cubicle life right there.

45 minutes ago, Me_ said:

You are discounting the value of having kids play in the playoffs for as many games as they can go. Invaluable lessons learned for the next time, toward a Cup.

You don’t just park your a$$ at the golf course until the year you think you have all the pieces. You’ll get decimated due to inexperience alone.

So much un calculated in this type of mentality. Still “why try if you’re not gonna get it anyways”.

That’s a cubicle life right there.

How am I discounting that? I'm not advocating we tank. I'm just advocating against mediocrity. How is me expressing concern that we still need to unearth 2 legit top 4 D man to even get this core in the conversation of being a legit cup running D core, "cubicle life".

Honestly you just put a lot of words in my mouth. These seems more like you issues then Me_ issues.

Edited by Shayster007
  • Vintage 2

3 hours ago, Shayster007 said:

97bc4a7e308fece778d14cb0d524bd24.gif

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

4 hours ago, Shayster007 said:

I hear you. But Miller isn't 32 until 3 years from now. If we aren't competing within the next 3 years then the rest of the team is also getting too old to be just starting to open your window:

Demko 29

Horvat 29

OEL 33

I think we need to open our contending window as soon as possible, or do a full rebuild.

I'd like to see us improve the team to make the playoffs (get experience) next season. And the season after that we need to be contending. Otherwise a large part of the team will be too old to fit the contending window.

In my opinion if we trade Miller this off season, then we aren't making the playoffs. If we trade Miller next TDL, then we might make the playoffs but we won't be contending the year after, or for another 2-3 years after that.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Shayster007 said:

How am I discounting that? I'm not advocating we tank. I'm just advocating against mediocrity. How is me expressing concern that we still need to unearth 2 legit top 4 D man to even get this core in the conversation of being a legit cup running D core, "cubicle life".

Honestly you just put a lot of words in my mouth. These seems more like you issues then Me_ issues.

I don't want to slip in and try to go on a miracle run, I want a team that can actually compete.”

8 minutes ago, Me_ said:

I don't want to slip in and try to go on a miracle run, I want a team that can actually compete.”

Yes and? The fact you interpreted your entire novel of an assumption from that line, again, speaks far more about your head space then mine.

That's all fine and dandy if you're content with a mediocre team that wants to slip in to the playoffs but I'm keen on my team trying to build a contender.

39 minutes ago, Muttley said:

Did you hear Miller is getting nine million per year on a new contract?  Wow.  

Miller takes good care of himself. He'll be good to 35 without notable decline. He leads by example.  Who else is going to do that other then Horvat who is barely younger.

What the heck is "our young core"?  Quinn, Petey and Demmer?  That's three guys!  Matter of fact, Pettersson barely this year and a good part of last.

Hopefully he'll be great for years to come but he's going to have to do the unthinkable and put on weight. Too skinny. I think he knows now and he'll have a good summer.

We already have one of the best leaders in hockey here in Miller. Obviously if he want's to stay and be part of this for a long time and for reasonable moneys, extend him!

We need a stellar RHD-man and a bit more size and grit in the bottom six.  Yes, I mean a guy or two that can drop the gloves when it's advisable to. I used that word

because it's accurate. Most contenders have that base covered.  We do have some help coming up from the farm.

32 yr. old Miler on the decline  ................................................................................................................................................................................:rolleyes::rolleyes:

lol miller takes good care of himself and will be good till 35?? doesn't all NHL player take good care of themselves and still decline past 30? henrik takes great care of himself and was one of the ironman in the NHL.. his stats declined every year since he reached his peak at 29

Miller is a great player but he hardly leads by example.. he's relatively lazy on defense.. throws a lot of temper tantrum.. and gives up on play far too often.. and when he gives up on the play.. it stands out because it's so obvious.. like the minnesota OT.. he see he couldn't catch up.. so he just gives up and stop skating.. same with hughes.. i guess he's expecting demko to let them score and won't make a save.. coz god forbid demko makes a save and leaves a rebound.. Miller will be no where coz he already given up on the game.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol miller takes good care of himself and will be good till 35?? doesn't all NHL player take good care of themselves and still decline past 30? henrik takes great care of himself and was one of the ironman in the NHL.. his stats declined every year since he reached his peak at 29

Miller is a great player but he hardly leads by example.. he's relatively lazy on defense.. throws a lot of temper tantrum.. and gives up on play far too often.. and when he gives up on the play.. it stands out because it's so obvious.. like the minnesota OT.. he see he couldn't catch up.. so he just gives up and stop skating.. same with hughes.. i guess he's expecting demko to let them score and won't make a save.. coz god forbid demko makes a save and leaves a rebound.. Miller will be no where coz he already given up on the game.

This post is complete rubbish. 

Complete rubbish.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Me_ said:

This post is complete rubbish. 

Complete rubbish.

complete rubbish? there's 3 or 4 occasion where JT completely gave up on the play that lead to the game winning goals.. even Boudreau publicly said he spoken to Miller.. and we see the same thing happened in recent games like calgary and Minnesota where he's caught on TV completely given up on the play.. he didn't even shown an ounce of effort skating back to take away possible rebound chance. there's countless of examples of him giving up on a play throughout the season. perphaps there's a reason why he leads the team in defensive zone turnover by forwards by double digits.. and one of the only top 6 forwards to have more turnovers than takeaways.

great skilled player.. hardly a great leader as he let his emotion take over him and get frustrated easily. wonder what demko is thinking on the minnesota OT breakaway when he see EK coming in and Miller completely stop skating as soon as he hit the blueline.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

19 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

At a minimum, he could easily get 9M+, especially as a UFA. 

And he'll get 7-8 years to go with it wherever he signs. 

Nothing new there, just a well known talking head saying what several of us have been saying for a while. 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

complete rubbish? there's 3 or 4 occasion where JT completely gave up on the play that lead to the game winning goals.. even Boudreau publicly said he spoken to Miller.. and we see the same thing happened in recent games like calgary and Minnesota where he's caught on TV completely given up on the play.. he didn't even shown an ounce of effort skating back to take away possible rebound chance. there's countless of examples of him giving up on a play throughout the season. perphaps there's a reason why he leads the team in defensive zone turnover by forwards by double digits.. and one of the only top 6 forwards to have more turnovers than takeaways.

great skilled player.. hardly a great leader as he let his emotion take over him and get frustrated easily. wonder what demko is thinking on the minnesota OT breakaway when he see EK coming in and Miller completely stop skating as soon as he hit the blueline.

Yup.  Miller will not sign this summer, which means the league knows we have to trade him.   Going to hurt our return.