The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

34 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Miller has been real good, but I'm now back on the "Trade Miller" bandwagon. 

JR/PA commented that the players need to come to camp ready and to be ready for Game 1 next season. I think this was a notice to Pettersson, and maybe a bit of a challenge.  They want Pettersson to take that next step and become more of a leader, what Miller was last season. Time to grow up Petey, take hold of the reins and do your thing. I sure hope he's using this off season to get stronger.

Miller to BOS for a 1st (2023), DeBrusk and Beecher

I don't think (Beecher) is enough for a Miller trade.  I think the Canucks would want the 1st + Debrusk +  Lysell

If Bergeron retires, they will jump all over a Miller trade. 

5 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

I don't think (Beecher) is enough for a Miller trade.  I think the Canucks would want the 1st + Debrusk +  Lysell

That would be a very sweet trade. However, I think this is our best chance to trade for an RD - whether he's already playing in the league or we acquire him (Nemec or Jiricek) via the draft.

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

650 just now talking about how the Canucks interviewed Stafloski.  Not sure of the spelling, but know he's expected to go in the top five picks.  So is Miller going to return a top 5 pick?  Seems JR is making sure he's prepared to move up, and move way up!!!

I've been listening to that too, Drance is such a tool.

Didn't they comment on the idea of a possible trade with NJ for the #2?

Now they're talking about the idea of an offer sheet for Tkachuk 

Fun show (except for Drance's voice)

Imagine if both of those worked out

Tkachuk - Pettersson - Boeser

Slafkovsky - Horvat - Podkolzin

Me likey

3 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Isn't Debrusk a cap dump at this point?  We need Carlo

19 hours ago, NucknAsia said:

So where did we say we have to take someone from Chytil's draft? Is that a pre-requisite? You do realize he was drafted in 2017 an its 2022...so there's 5 years (soon) of prospects we could look at.

Secondly, Chytil was arguably the main piece of that offer, Lundquist was drafted a year later and has only played 25 games in the NHL

The other part was a pick (late first).

When you are trading your best player, who is an Elite center, you have to get back the potential for elite back. What are you expecting? You want a Kelser 2.0 deal? Do Lucas Sbisa, Nick Bonino and a first make you happy? Because that's pretty much the same deal and we have a player not asking to be traded to only one team and hold all the cards.

Because let's be real, one playoff heater does not make Chytil the next Patrice Bergeron dude..

Too many here want to scream they are right because of 12 games in the playoffs.

Funny how the same people will scream JB was wrong for overvaluing the performance of prospects like Juolevi in brief tournaments (aka WJC).

Funny...how that works

And no, I don't want Cody Glass, but the hyperbolic binary argument is also funny. Just because someone doesn't think a Kesler 2.0 trade is enough, doesn't mean they want a center who seems to have busted. Perhaps it means, the value offered by NYR was not enough.

Interestingly, the smarter hockey minds, who run the show, agreed.

Could become Ville Leino after his one hot playoff, while he was also fairly young.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I've been listening to that too, Drance is such a tool.

Didn't they comment on the idea of a possible trade with NJ for the #2?

Now they're talking about the idea of an offer sheet for Tkachuk 

Fun show (except for Drance's voice)

Imagine if both of those worked out

Tkachuk - Pettersson - Boeser

Slafkovsky - Horvat - Podkolzin

Me likey

Where is this Tkachuk offer sheet rumour you’re talking about?

1 hour ago, Gawdzukes said:

is that we're left with offers like the Montreal 26 and 29 some poster suggested or Debrusk and a first. What if JT is 100% out of the door, do we just take anything for him? I probably would reluctantly. I don't want to play guessing games and waste an entire season on this myself. Time to pick a direction, plot the course, and get the galver pointed the right way.

I'm not the least bit worried about the return or where he goes - what worries me, quite a bit actually, is injury.  Miller has been quite durable over the course of his career, but he isn't getting any younger and he's played more minutes the last few years then he ever has in his career.  If we begin next season with Miller on the roster and he gets a long-term injury (or worse, season ending injury) before the TDL we're effed as we could end up losing him to UFA for nothing. 

• Vintage 2

If Canucks are sniffing around the picks 2-5 teams perhaps (Philly? Devils?)....it's JT Miller and likely another player for a package

For Philly it has to be for Provorov (and their #5 pick)

For Devils it has to be a combo of Holtz and one of Smith/Severson (prefer Severson) + the #2 (Canucks add of course)

If Miller gets traded, got to wonder if they replace him short term with Malkin & Trochek as UFA signings (both decent players)? 

Slavofsky could be useful to the Canucks in that he's young, big, and can score goals and rumored to be able to play in the NHL right away ...

Edited by BureBurrito

54 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Ha ha, Yeah I got some folks here all worked up when all I was trying to say was that Chytil had a little more prospective value then 2 months ago when people were slagging him as part of a trade.

Thanks for talking me off the ledge. Hey hey, he will have some value to someone or he'll be back for a year I guess. That would be a huge failure on management in my opinion to just waste a year because we don't know what to do with Miller though. Time to turn the page and focus on the future. I really hope we pick up another first. This is the most I've been excited about the draft since Hughes. Probably more so then the Podkolzin year.

There's easily 15-20 prospects I'd love to have on the team. We should get a real good player ... in the immortal words of JB ::D

well to be fair, Chytil didn't really show up like this before. And he may yet be in the cards if NYR wants to replace Strome with Miller. 

1 minute ago, Pears said:

Where is this Tkachuk offer sheet rumour you’re talking about?

I just overheard them talking about it on SN650, for a minute. I think someone just texted in the idea and they brought it up. Doubt it actually happens, but you never know. JR could be aggressive and CGY's cap is an issue.  

Be a nice payback after they signed Markstrom and Tanev

• Cheers 1

42 minutes ago, Alflives said:

650 just now talking about how the Canucks interviewed Stafloski.  Not sure of the spelling, but know he's expected to go in the top five picks.  So is Miller going to return a top 5 pick?  Seems JR is making sure he's prepared to move up, and move way up!!!

I take this as a signal they might already have a deal getting worked on with New Jersey.  That team makes sense because they need more toughness in their forwards group.  But I’d w@nt more than just their 2nd overall.  I’d want a prospect too.  

• Cheers 1

47 minutes ago, Alflives said:

All due diligence,.  If any management didn’t Interview the top 15-30 pick’s on the sheet,  they would not gain insight to any offer that might drop in their lap.

Its one thing to ask about possibilities,  

..it’s another to receive an offer that could open a door your not prepared for.

preparation..   “how to play hockey” ;) 

Edited by SilentSam
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

All due diligence,.  If any management didn’t Interview the top 15-30 pick’s on the sheet,  they would not gain insight to any offer that might drop in their lap.

Its one thing to ask about possibilities,  it’s another receive an offer that could open a door your not prepared for.

Teams don’t usually interview players outside their draft bracket, if the Canucks are interviewing Stafloski they’re showing their cards. 

Edited by Pure961089
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Its one thing to ask about possibilities,  

..it’s another to receive an offer that could open a door your not prepared for.

preparation..   “how to play hockey” ;) 

Spot on Sam...

It would be incredible unprofessional not knowing everything there is to know about the players in the first round in particular, just in case...

Could also be an opportunity arose later...

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

That would be a very sweet trade. However, I think this is our best chance to trade for an RD - whether he's already playing in the league or we acquire him (Nemec or Jiricek) via the draft.

This trade would improve team assets.  DeBrusk, Lysell, Rathbone, etc.  These assets can be used in a trade for

whatever.  In the meantime, the RD side can be improved temporarily until the best RD trade comes along

(or move up in next year's draft and scoop on).