The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

9 minutes ago, Spoosh said:

Harsh but true to a degree I guess :lol:

I think this is why stars have a say in trades and what not. To build the team around them. I  don't get the fixation on Canuck retreads. I don't think it added to building chemistry with that team. Maybe their stars have seen the teams miss mash development and want out.

Edited by Hairy Kneel
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

I'm wondering what the Canucks' offer to Miller was, supposedly just before the draft.  Miller's agent said that they were still some ways apart on term, but seemed to imply that AAV was not a sticking point.  MacIntyre seems to accept that framework and guesses that they've offered Miller 6 years:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/as-pressure-points-pass-canucks-miller-saga-inevitably-sliding-into-next-season/

I'm going to guess that they've agreed on something like 8 mil AAV and are fighting it out over 6-8 years.  The obvious compromise would be 7 years @ 8 mil but maybe 6 years @ 8.5.  We all know what the range of opinion on this board is about whether or not a deal in that range would be good for the club.  But all that aside, there's still the question  of what's on the table.  What do people think?

I would think that if they are going to re-sign him 6 x $8.5M would be the absolute max. I'm fine either way, if he was available I'd go all in on getting Barzal out of NYI.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

I wonder if 50 mil would get it done.  

6 x 8.33?  It’s one of those “fair” deals that makes me wince a bit thinking about the 5th and 6th year though.

Not happening, I’m thinking he has been offered something around 7.5 

7 minutes ago, LegionOfDoom said:

Not happening, I’m thinking he has been offered something around 7.5 

If he’s willing to take 45 mil total contract I wonder if it’s better to go 7.5 x 6 or just go 9 x 5 if he’d take that. 

I think I’d do 9 x 5 if they can make it work.

5 hours ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

I'm wondering what the Canucks' offer to Miller was, supposedly just before the draft.  Miller's agent said that they were still some ways apart on term, but seemed to imply that AAV was not a sticking point.  MacIntyre seems to accept that framework and guesses that they've offered Miller 6 years:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/as-pressure-points-pass-canucks-miller-saga-inevitably-sliding-into-next-season/

I'm going to guess that they've agreed on something like 8 mil AAV and are fighting it out over 6-8 years.  The obvious compromise would be 7 years @ 8 mil but maybe 6 years @ 8.5.  We all know what the range of opinion on this board is about whether or not a deal in that range would be good for the club.  But all that aside, there's still the question  of what's on the table.  What do people think?

Players/their agents could give a flying &^@# about AAV. All they care about is total money. $8-something mil x 5-6 years is MILES off $8-something mil x 8 years.

5 hours ago, HKSR said:

I think it's just a lesson to not wait until the 11th hour to try and re-sign your best player(s).  Re-sign them 1 year before their deals expire, or trade them.  Don't try and re-sign them when their contract runs out next week.

All well and good until your a playoff favorite with a potential shot at a cup. Imagine COL trading Kadri and Nuke last summer because they hadn't extended.... yeah....

2 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

If he’s willing to take 45 mil total contract I wonder if it’s better to go 7.5 x 6 or just go 9 x 5 if he’d take that. 

I think I’d do 9 x 5 if they can make it work.

Unfortunately, the $45m is the problem part :lol:

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, aGENT said:

All well and good until your a playoff favorite with a potential shot at a cup. Imagine COL trading Kadri and Nuke last summer because they hadn't extended.... yeah....

Since we are in pretty much the same situation as Colorado?

Silly comparison, cup favourite vs playoff almost ran. 

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Since we are in pretty much the same situation as Colorado?

Silly comparison, cup favourite vs playoff almost ran. 

No, we're not. Remotely. And the discussion was in regards to Gaudreau and the Flames FYI ;) 

• Haha 1

Doesn't seem that long ago the trade proposals for JT Miller were astronomical. 

Carlo, Lysell and a 1st

Schneider, Chytil and a 1st

Marino, Poulin and a 1st

etc.

Time is gone by since then though, and JR/PA continue to wait for Miller to change his mind and take less. Now I imagine the return coming back would be much more realistic - like a player for player trade. 

What once was Kakko, Lundkvist and a 1st for Miller, is probably now Kakko straight up, or maybe NYR add a mid-pick

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Players/their agents could give a flying &^@# about AAV. All they care about is total money. $8-something mil x 5-6 years is MILES off $8-something mil x 8 years.

Agreed about the arithmetic.  But obviously AAV matters to the club and the player as part of the equation.  If they're already offering 6 years at some agreed amount that is 3/4 of the way to the amount on an 8 year deal, which might be why the agent is making conciliatory noises about a pathway to a deal.  Anyway, I was trying to avoid the usual bluster about what is right or wrong for the club here, what Miller will or won't accept and focus in on what the offer might have been.

31 minutes ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

Agreed about the arithmetic.  But obviously AAV matters to the club and the player as part of the equation.  If they're already offering 6 years at some agreed amount that is 3/4 of the way to the amount on an 8 year deal, which might be why the agent is making conciliatory noises about a pathway to a deal.  Anyway, I was trying to avoid the usual bluster about what is right or wrong for the club here, what Miller will or won't accept and focus in on what the offer might have been.

No, teams care about AAV. Players/agents don't care. All they care about is total dollars.

3/4 of $60m is $45m. Or a $15m difference. That's not "close" in any way, shape or form.

55 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Carlo, Lysell and a 1st

Marino, Poulin and a 1st

etc.

Time is gone by since then though, and JR/PA continue to wait for Miller to change his mind and take less. Now I imagine the return coming back would be much more realistic - like a player for player trade. 

What once was Kakko, Lundkvist and a 1st for Miller, is probably now Kakko straight up, or maybe NYR add a mid-pick

Injury risk is a real and ownership not wanting to miss the playoffs is real. But if JT makes it to Feb safely, the return will creep up again. At this point in the summer, other teams have all the leverage but by the TDL Canucks will gain leverage back and could end up getting a huge return. Let's just hope they trade him in Feb/March and don't over think it again.

2 minutes ago, 5nothincanucksohno said:

Injury risk is a real and ownership not wanting to miss the playoffs is real. But if JT makes it to Feb safely, the return will creep up again. At this point in the summer, other teams have all the leverage but by the TDL Canucks will gain leverage back and could end up getting a huge return. Let's just hope they trade him in Feb/March and don't over think it again.

Sure sounds like it’s only bad news playing Miller this coming season.  

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

Carlo, Lysell and a 1st

Marino, Poulin and a 1st

etc.

And that’s likely why he hasn’t been traded yet. Fact is we don’t even know if what was rumoured to be offered was actually true either. It could be that the quality of offers have been relatively the same then as they are now. 

42 minutes ago, aGENT said:

No, teams care about AAV. Players/agents don't care. All they care about is total dollars.

3/4 of $60m is $45m. Or a $15m difference. That's not "close" in any way, shape or form.

And AAV factors into total dollars, so as a matter of basic logic, players care about it too, although not for quite the same reason as clubs.