The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

1 hour ago, mll said:

Rutherford doesn't think the team can contend as they are built - hopes to contend in 2 years but says it's easy to sit there and say that.  It's better if they start earlier than to delay the inevitable.

JR’s job would have been a lot easier if the Habs would have offer sheeted EP40 for $10m and we got the first round draft picks coming back our way. 

Pretty sure that this year’s version of EP wouldn’t have hurt the hard tank that we are seeing in Mtl and the draft picks would have been very high.

Some of the picks, we could keep, but maybe one or two of them in a package to Az for Chychrun. 

Lots of excellent ideas on here.The whole narrative would be totally different right now had Bergevin offer sheeted EP. A man can dream.

34 minutes ago, mll said:

Depends who they are looking to move.  Do they want to already move on from players who won't be part of their contending window or will they let longer contracts expire and/or try and move them closer to the start of that window.  It could come down to retention vs a buyout.

They are talking to Miller's camp to know how much it would cost to retain him.  They can only file on 1 July but the deal can already be agreed now.  Trading Miller might not necessarily be the path followed.

I don't see any way they keep Miller and fix the structural and succession issues the team has.

IMO, the "talking to Miller's camp" is a smoke screen to raise his value. 

I doubt we buy out anyone. At most, Hamonic and only if he can't go.

Edited by aGENT
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

32 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I don't see any way they keep Miller and fix the structural and succession issues the team has.

IMO, the "talking to Miller's camp" is a smoke screen to raise his value

I doubt we buy out anyone. At most, Hamonic and only if he can't go.

The Office Yes GIF

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, tas said:

then the rangers can live without miller. 

and get bounced from the first round. 

or we trade Miller to an Eastern Conference rival that'll meet the Rangers in the playoffs. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

3 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Thanks for posting this.  Hope this makes it clear that JR/Allvin are not all in on dumping Miller and/or Boeser.  Personally, I think Miller will be re-signed, and I think it's the right decision.  Hughes, Petey, and Demko especially are on their value contracts.  Once those 3 become big contract players, the window will slam shut.  Demko's a UFA in 4 years.  Hughes is a UFA in 5.  You're not gonna win a cup in year 6 or 7.  I guarantee that.

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Thanks for posting this.  Hope this makes it clear that JR/Allvin are not all in on dumping Miller and/or Boeser.  Personally, I think Miller will be re-signed, and I think it's the right decision.  Hughes, Petey, and Demko especially are on their value contracts.  Once those 3 become big contract players, the window will slam shut.  Demko's a UFA in 4 years.  Hughes is a UFA in 5.  You're not gonna win a cup in year 6 or 7.  I guarantee that.

I don’t think you can read that much into what he said.

Clearly other teams are trying to turn up the temperature on the Canucks by leaking all sorts of names that have been discussed.  He is just using the media to push back on that.

There will be a big name player traded, probably before the deadline and certainly before next season.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Provost said:

I don’t think you can read that much into what he said.

Clearly other teams are trying to turn up the temperature on the Canucks by leaking all sorts of names that have been discussed.  He is just using the media to push back on that.

There will be a big name player traded, probably before the deadline and certainly before next season.

We'll see.  The message has softened over time.  When he first arrived, it sounded crystal clear that there was gonna be a major retool.  Fast forward several weeks and the message has changed. 

• Cheers 2

35 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Petey is on a VALUE contract right now...I beg to differ, large ass short term RFA contract with .5ppg stats is anything but value! I agree about Demko, Hughes is a good D but is being paid very nicely for his age and early access to UFA status with his 6 year deal.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

Petey is on a VALUE contract right now...I beg to differ, large ass short term RFA contract with .5ppg stats is anything but value! I agree about Demko, Hughes is a good D but is being paid very nicely for his age and early access to UFA status with his 6 year deal.

Do you think Petey, Hughes, and Demko will be more value on their next contract?  Demko and Hughes will be UFAs.  Petey will likely bounce back from the way he is playing now.  So yes, I think they are their value contracts (ie. Toews and Kane at $6M before they got $10M+ each, Doughty and Kopitar at $7M AAV rather than $11M and $10M AAV, etc).

Guess when Toews/Kane and Kopitar/Doughty won their Cups?  Do you think during or AFTER their value contracts?

Just now, Provost said:

Unlike the previous regime, I think Rutherford is more savvy.

It likely isn’t accidental that he did that interview on an Eastern media show.  He is negotiating using the press as a tool.  Other teams are putting names out there to put pressure on him, Rutherford made it explicitly clear in the interview that the names weren’t coming from him.

He is just putting out messaging that he won’t be pushed and there is no rush as these players aren’t on expiring contracts.

The first move may not be a top name and something just to clear cap space, but there is little chance it ends there.

We'll see... if Miller isn't move this TDL, I don't see his value increasing... JR can posture all he wants, but other GMs and teams aren't stupid either lol

• Cheers 1

On 2/4/2022 at 3:06 PM, coryberg said:

The point was sure thing prospects aren't always sure thing prospects. I like that you used the erat for forsberg example. People trade top prospects to load up. Ask Jerome Iginla.

Except Schneider is already playing at a pro level and doing exceptionally well. Gallant spoke highly of him at the Worlds, saying he has a demeanour of a veteran player. 

2 hours ago, Provost said:

Unlike the previous regime, I think Rutherford is more savvy.

It likely isn’t accidental that he did that interview on an Eastern media show.  He is negotiating using the press as a tool.  Other teams are putting names out there to put pressure on him, Rutherford made it explicitly clear in the interview that the names weren’t coming from him.

He is just putting out messaging that he won’t be pushed and there is no rush as these players aren’t on expiring contracts.

The first move may not be a top name and something just to clear cap space, but there is little chance it ends there.

Just like they're "talking to his agent on what it would take to extend him" :lol:

• Vintage 1

17 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Just like they're "talking to his agent on what it would take to extend him" :lol:

Exactly!  He probably isn't outright lying, but he also keeps saying to everyone that the "plan" is to be a consistent playoff team in two years... so they are evaluating all their players with that filter.  Unless Miller is strongly saying he wants to stay and sign a reasonable extension July 1st, he doesn't seem to be in the plans for the team.

Talking to Eastern media makes sure opposing GMs hear that messaging pretty loud and clear.  I am assuming there is enough smoke around the Rangers that he is trying to do something like move them off of Lundkvist as the return and onto Schneider who fits our needs better.  We will keep hearing trade rumours filtering out about teams who the Rangers will be competing against to have an arms race start.

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 2

4 hours ago, Provost said:

Exactly!  He probably isn't outright lying, but he also keeps saying to everyone that the "plan" is to be a consistent playoff team in two years... so they are evaluating all their players with that filter.  Unless Miller is strongly saying he wants to stay and sign a reasonable extension July 1st, he doesn't seem to be in the plans for the team.

Talking to Eastern media makes sure opposing GMs hear that messaging pretty loud and clear.  I am assuming there is enough smoke around the Rangers that he is trying to do something like move them off of Lundkvist as the return and onto Schneider who fits our needs better.  We will keep hearing trade rumours filtering out about teams who the Rangers will be competing against to have an arms race start.

Yes and as evidenced by today's statement. 

"Pay up, or we'll just keep him until the draft"

We don't "have" to move Miller now. So if you want him for 2 runs at $5.2m (or less, with retention). Fork over the goods.

• Vintage 1