The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

Yup, I get blasted for it, but this is what I think the package will look like... either one, but I think Package B is more likely to happen...

Package A

1. A-level Prospect (ie. Schneider)

2. Middle-6 forward or Lower Tier Top 4 Defenceman (mostly depends on the quality of the prospect)

3. 2nd Round Pick (you won't get an A-Level Prospect AND a 1st unless the forward/defenceman above is a 4th line forward or 3rd pairing D-man)

Package B

1. B-Level or borderline A-Level Prospect (ie. Lundkvist or Kravtsov)

2. Middle-6 forward or Lower Tier Top 4 Defenceman

3. 1st Round Pick (a late one... 20th or later)

I'd say Package B is more likely what the NYR would offer as their final offer.

Lundkvist

Chytil

1st

If we don't take it, they shop that package around for guys like Giroux or Pavelski.  With Klingberg likely moving on, the package above would be pretty enticing for Dallas I would think.

Miller is signed for another year unless somebody ponies up a top tier package I’d keep him. Don’t have to move him and do favours for other teams.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, HKSR said:

Yup, I get blasted for it, but this is what I think the package will look like... either one, but I think Package B is more likely to happen...

Package A

2. Middle-6 forward or Lower Tier Top 4 Defenceman (mostly depends on the quality of the prospect)

3. 2nd Round Pick (you won't get an A-Level Prospect AND a 1st unless the forward/defenceman above is a 4th line forward or 3rd pairing D-man)

Package B

Lundkvist

Chytil

1st

If we don't take it, they shop that package around for guys like Giroux or Pavelski.  With Klingberg likely moving on, the package above would be pretty enticing for Dallas I would think.

Ya, you might be right. If that is the case, I would not do that deal. Better to wait for the draft/summer (more clarity on draft picks available and more teams with flexibility).

Mgmt should pick three players (as close to blue chip, can't miss prospects as they can id) and target them. Don't take anything less. The remainder of the assets recovered in the trade can be 1st and 2nd round draft picks. 

2 hours ago, HKSR said:

Package A

Package B

Lundkvist

Chytil

1st

Klingberg would be an interesting add for sure. I know he’s not what he was but still a very effective puck moving dman and probably a stellar fit with OEL

2 hours ago, HKSR said:

Package A

Package B

Lundkvist

Chytil

1st

love the package A. Would be a great deal for VAN. I think JR is in a very favorable position to negotiate with the Rangers, because it's the Rangers that want J.T.  It should start with Schneider from my perspective an a first round pick, besides that the third piece should be a prospect, ideally a center or a proven roster player for our bottom 6. Rangers are the best trade partner from my perspective, because they have the assets (for example Schneider).

2 hours ago, HKSR said:

Package A

Package B

Lundkvist

Chytil

1st

This is what my media is saying they want for Miller.

50 minutes ago, Provost said:

Well since basically every comment in this entire thread actually says completely otherwise… I think you are being a drama Queen.  

I know you think it makes you sound clever to be smarmy and patronizing, but really it just comes across as dumb since you are whinging about something that is just objectively not true.

There seems to be a solid consensus that it will be a high end prospect/young blue chip player, a high pick, and another piece, which is probably a roster player that means taking money back.

That is what the hockey analysts outside the market also seem to be saying so the folks on the forum seem to have a really good grasp on the value it would take to move on from Miller.

So much hockey IQ Craig Button is that you?!

16 minutes ago, Westcoastcanucks777 said:

So much hockey IQ Craig Button is that you?!

I wish... he is the guy with the best amateur draft record (along with Pronman) with his 1st round draft lists for the last decade.  If teams fired all their scouts and just used his lists they would be further ahead.

Being Button is a FAR better option than being a guy who either can't even be bothered to read a thread he is making smarmy comments on, or just likes outright lying to make himself feel important.

... we know which one you are in this little conversation.

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, Provost said:

I wish... he is the guy with the best amateur draft record (along with Pronman) with his 1st round draft lists for the last decade.  If teams fired all their scouts and just used his lists they would be further ahead.

Being Button is a FAR better option than being a guy who either can't even be bothered to read a thread he is making smarmy comments on, or just likes outright lying to make himself feel important.

... we know which one you are in this little conversation.

Your getting carried away now nice try Pierre McGuire 

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl-trade-deadline-trade-bait-1.1758411

One of these pieces moving might give us an idea of the 'market' at the moment.  Although many are not direct comparables to Miller, when any of the 'contenders' make their first move it should start the dominoes at least. 

For sure... we need to see what the market is.  There is a theory that prices could be depressed because of how many teams in the East already know they are sellers.  On the other side, the top assets still seem to get top prices... and Miller is a top asset.

I don't see a forward on that list that would be above Miller in my wish list considering a combination of term/cap hit/production.  Some contenders may just want a pure rental who they get off the books at the end of the season, but they won't pay as much in trade for that kind of piece than a team who gets team friendly term on a guy like Miller.

32 minutes ago, Provost said:

For sure... we need to see what the market is.  There is a theory that prices could be depressed because of how many teams in the East already know they are sellers.  On the other side, the top assets still seem to get top prices... and Miller is a top asset.

I don't see a forward on that list that would be above Miller in my wish list considering a combination of term/cap hit/production.  Some contenders may just want a pure rental who they get off the books at the end of the season, but they won't pay as much in trade for that kind of piece than a team who gets team friendly term on a guy like Miller.

Miller is going to be a very attractive piece to a team who's win window is now and next year because he is on a sweetheart of a deal for the rest of this year and next.

Edited by Ohthehumanity
  • Upvote 2

13 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

i'm ok with laffy too or schneider. i think ppl are underselling laffy too much.. rangers have brought him along slowly he started his career and this season rarely on the top 6 and hardly got any powerplay time. although RHD is more preferred but if we can get lafrenier a line of boeser if we keep him EP lafrenier would work... lafrenier is an elite playmaker and boeser ep both have elite shot.. on paper it would look good as a line anyways. laffy's goal per 60 is on pace with miller boeser etc so it shouldn't be much of a drop off.. then we can figure something out with the defense either thru trades or FA with the picks/prospect we got. and he's only in his 2nd season in the NHL.. Jack hughes is on his 3rd season before becoming almost ppg guy

I don't think the Rangers are willing to part with Laff. 

Rumors are that they're not willing to part with Schneider either. So I'm not exactly sure what they're willing to give up for one, if not the top prize in terms of the trade deadline. How often does a 28 year old, PWF, point producing, all situations kind of player becomes available? 

The Rangers will have to part with something of worth and value, if they're going to land Miller. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Provost said:

I wonder if JR is trying to get ahead of whoever is going to "set the market" instead of following the market. 

Makes me wonder if JR and PA and the rest of the management team is attempting to get out ahead, and determine what the market value is. If the market is low, then they're not going to get much for Miller. But if they dictate the market, then the dominoes fall for all the other teams and pieces that other teams want to acquire. 

8 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I wonder if JR is trying to get ahead of whoever is going to "set the market" instead of following the market. 

Makes me wonder if JR and PA and the rest of the management team is attempting to get out ahead, and determine what the market value is. If the market is low, then they're not going to get much for Miller. But if they dictate the market, then the dominoes fall for all the other teams and pieces that other teams want to acquire. 

I am honestly hoping that is the case.  We are in a different situation than teams he has managed, but he does seem predisposed towards being proactive.

There have been reports that he has already gotten serious offers, like from the Rangers.

I can really see it right now being a case where it is developed enough that the Rangers are offering something like Lundvquist, 1st, and another piece with us retaining money on Miller.... and Rutherford is trying to get them to Schneider, a 1st, and a better extra piece with no money retained.

Then it is just who blinks first, when he thinks is the best time to pull the trigger, and how to narrow the gap or get a 3rd party in place to maybe launder some money through.  If he can get two teams that deeply on the hook we are golden because they also don't want competitors they have to face being the ones getting Miller.

8 hours ago, HKSR said:

Package A

Package B

Lundkvist

Chytil

1st

Lol so as good as Miller is with 1 extra year under cost control. you say he's only worth a declining rental giroux or Pavelski? okay then

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, N4ZZY said:

I don't think the Rangers are willing to part with Laff. 

Rumors are that they're not willing to part with Schneider either. So I'm not exactly sure what they're willing to give up for one, if not the top prize in terms of the trade deadline. How often does a 28 year old, PWF, point producing, all situations kind of player becomes available? 

The Rangers will have to part with something of worth and value, if they're going to land Miller. 

Who knows maybe things will heat up when teams around them make moves. Honestly rangers should be trying to make a move now while they still can with the elc and cheaper contract they still have.. in couple years they will be having cap issue and won't be close to what they could be now with Miller 

14 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

Lol so as good as Miller is with 1 extra year under cost control. you say he's only worth a declining rental giroux or Pavelski? okay then

No, I'm saying he's worth more than that, but teams likely won't give up enough to meet our demands.  

5 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Miller 50% retained for Schnieder, Kravtsov and Chytil. Would people do that deal? I don’t think you could also ask for a 1rst round pick. Maybe a 2023 2nd round pick that turns into a 1rst if NYR win the cup this year or next year. 

I’d rather have the pick than Kravtsov.  
He isn’t projecting very well

• Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1