The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

On 2/11/2022 at 10:01 AM, HKSR said:

Yup, I get blasted for it, but this is what I think the package will look like... either one, but I think Package B is more likely to happen...

Package A

1. A-level Prospect (ie. Schneider)

2. Middle-6 forward or Lower Tier Top 4 Defenceman (mostly depends on the quality of the prospect)

3. 2nd Round Pick (you won't get an A-Level Prospect AND a 1st unless the forward/defenceman above is a 4th line forward or 3rd pairing D-man)

Package B

1. B-Level or borderline A-Level Prospect (ie. Lundkvist or Kravtsov)

2. Middle-6 forward or Lower Tier Top 4 Defenceman

3. 1st Round Pick (a late one... 20th or later)

I'd say Package B is more likely what the NYR would offer as their final offer.

Lundkvist

Chytil

1st

If we don't take it, they shop that package around for guys like Giroux or Pavelski.  With Klingberg likely moving on, the package above would be pretty enticing for Dallas I would think.

Whatever Rutherford decides to do with Miller, his game against the Laffers on HNIC simply boosted his value. I cannot see how any fan could watch the Canuck d-zone play last night and think this club is anywhere close to contention. Time to step back, trade Miller for a package, or some other vet package that boosts the d-core. If Demko ever gets hurt it will be a moot point anyway. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

I think what we do with Miller should really depend on what he wants. If he wants to fight for us and win with us then great, sign him up long term and we can rotate him down the depth chart as he gets older and worse. If he's sick of losing and wants to be on a playoff team, and we're nowhere near the playoffs, then let's trade him, even if that's only next season.

Everyone here would love a Miller for Schneider + player + 1st but I think NYR rates Schneider quite highly now, so they'll try to off load Lundquist who wouldn't be as ideal. I'd take Schneider and a 1st for Miller straight up - a top line PPG center for a top pairing righty to play with Hughes long-term is pretty worth it.

Then we flip Garland + Poolman to NJD for Zacha and a 2nd/3rd and we fill our 3C role and save some more cap with ease.

Could use all that extra cap + Luongo's 3M to add an extra scoring winger and that's great asset management.

Miller + Garland + Poolman for Schneider + Zacha + 1st + 3rd + forward (eg. Neiderreiter).

---

Boeser - Pettersson - Podkolzin

Pearson - Horvat - Neiderreiter

Hoglander - Zacha - Motte

Highmore - Lammikko - Lockwood

Hughes - Schneider

OEL - Myers

Schenn - Hamonic

Rathbone

Even then, plus a 1st and 3rd, we'll still have a few million in cap space. We add size across our lineup.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I think what we do with Miller should really depend on what he wants. If he wants to fight for us and win with us then great, sign him up long term and we can rotate him down the depth chart as he gets older and worse. If he's sick of losing and wants to be on a playoff team, and we're nowhere near the playoffs, then let's trade him, even if that's only next season.

Everyone here would love a Miller for Schneider + player + 1st but I think NYR rates Schneider quite highly now, so they'll try to off load Lundquist who wouldn't be as ideal. I'd take Schneider and a 1st for Miller straight up - a top line PPG center for a top pairing righty to play with Hughes long-term is pretty worth it.

Then we flip Garland + Poolman to NJD for Zacha and a 2nd/3rd and we fill our 3C role and save some more cap with ease.

Could use all that extra cap + Luongo's 3M to add an extra scoring winger and that's great asset management.

Miller + Garland + Poolman for Schneider + Zacha + 1st + 3rd + forward (eg. Neiderreiter).

---

Hughes - Schneider

OEL - Myers

Schenn - Hamonic

Rathbone

Even then, plus a 1st and 3rd, we'll still have a few million in cap space. We add size across our lineup.

Sadly I think the ?Rags are trying to dump one of their two bustaroos on us:  Laugher or Crappo.  

5 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

---

Hughes - Schneider

OEL - Myers

Schenn - Hamonic

Rathbone

There is not much speed in this lineup. They specifically stated numerous times that speed and skill is the #1 target. I’d say this lineup is even slower than the current one we have. I’d love for us to target players like Alex Tuch who have speed and grit and would trade Boeser or Garland straight up. Other players I’d target are Martin Necas, Mason Appleton, Anthony Duclair and similar types of skill sets. 

• Vintage 1

13 minutes ago, KyGuy123 said:

There is not much speed in this lineup. They specifically stated numerous times that speed and skill is the #1 target. I’d say this lineup is even slower than the current one we have. I’d love for us to target players like Alex Tuch who have speed and grit and would trade Boeser or Garland straight up. Other players I’d target are Martin Necas, Mason Appleton, Anthony Duclair and similar types of skill sets. 

Tuch would be a great addition if we could somehow get him, not sure why BUffalo would want to move him though. Necas would be great to try get but can't see him being available. I do wonder if Carolina does try to make a big upgrade to try and push themselves to a whole new level aka a Stanley Cup finals appearance...will be tough in the Eastern Conference so a top team might try to add a JT Miller type of forward

58 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

Tuch would be a great addition if we could somehow get him, not sure why BUffalo would want to move him though. Necas would be great to try get but can't see him being available. I do wonder if Carolina does try to make a big upgrade to try and push themselves to a whole new level aka a Stanley Cup finals appearance...will be tough in the Eastern Conference so a top team might try to add a JT Miller type of forward

Tuch is on a great value contract like Garland. He’s a middle 6 winger.  Would cost at least a 1st + prospect (I think) value wise.

14 minutes ago, BPA said:

Tuch is on a great value contract like Garland. He’s a middle 6 winger.  Would cost at least a 1st + prospect (I think) value wise.

Tuch grew up a Sabres fan and they specifically targeted him for that.  Don't think they'll be willing to part with him - changing their culture and bringing in players who legit want to be Sabres has too much value.  

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Canuckster86 said:

I would even consider Dahlin and Tuch for Hughes and Boeser. This would free up lots of cap and make the team more competitive. Dahlin and Pettersson could be a nightmare for teams and it would allow Miller to be freed up or Horvat with Tuch coming in to Center the second line. 
if you can get a Schneider out of a Miller trade and a first it would change the dynamic of the team and allow cap flexibility. 

Edited by KyGuy123
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, KyGuy123 said:

I would even consider Dahlin and Tuch for Hughes and Boeser. This would free up lots of cap and make the team more competitive. Dahlin and Pettersson could be a nightmare for teams and it would allow Miller to be freed up or Horvat with Tuch coming in to Center the second line. 
if you can get a Schneider out of a Miller trade and a first it would change the dynamic of the team and allow cap flexibility. 

well-that-escalated-quickly-quick-meme-com-19310781.png

• Haha 1

https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/frank-seravalli-nhl-trade-deadline-war-room-metropolitan-division-objectives/

New York Rangers

Primary Objective: Top 6 right wing
Secondary Objective: Reliable checking line winger
Briefing: Here’s the imbalance on Broadway: Artemi Panarin and Chris Kreider on the left side, Alexis Lafreniere and Kaapo Kakko on the right side. Stanley Cup contender on the left; lottery balls on the right. Thankfully for GM Chris Drury, as he navigates his first trade deadline, his arsenal is the envy of the NHL. He has cap space, a full array of picks, and a bevy of prospects to deal. The primary target (by a long shot) is J.T. Miller, who has already played right wing in New York. Reilly Smith also played for Gerard Gallant and would be a fit with Vegas’ need to unload cap space. The Rangers have also talked about adding a responsible checking line winger (think Ryan Carpenter in Chicago) to help round out the lineup. But keep an eye on Miller, as the Rangers would like a reunion and they can afford to sign him to an extension, too.
Pieces potentially in play: 2022 1st Round Pick, Kaapo Kakko, Braden Schneider, Vitali Kravtsov, Alexandar Georgiev

---

Oh ok NYR, let's just keep things simple... you want Miller right?  Here... let's just copy and paste the first three items we see as pieces that are potentially in play for the paperwork.

So you guys get Miller. 

We get "2022 1st Round Pick, Kaapo Kakko, Braden Schneider" ...

There.  Done.  Let's send it off to Bettman.

2 hours ago, HKSR said:

https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/frank-seravalli-nhl-trade-deadline-war-room-metropolitan-division-objectives/

New York Rangers

Primary Objective: Top 6 right wing
Secondary Objective: Reliable checking line winger
Briefing: Here’s the imbalance on Broadway: Artemi Panarin and Chris Kreider on the left side, Alexis Lafreniere and Kaapo Kakko on the right side. Stanley Cup contender on the left; lottery balls on the right. Thankfully for GM Chris Drury, as he navigates his first trade deadline, his arsenal is the envy of the NHL. He has cap space, a full array of picks, and a bevy of prospects to deal. The primary target (by a long shot) is J.T. Miller, who has already played right wing in New York. Reilly Smith also played for Gerard Gallant and would be a fit with Vegas’ need to unload cap space. The Rangers have also talked about adding a responsible checking line winger (think Ryan Carpenter in Chicago) to help round out the lineup. But keep an eye on Miller, as the Rangers would like a reunion and they can afford to sign him to an extension, too.
Pieces potentially in play: 2022 1st Round Pick, Kaapo Kakko, Braden Schneider, Vitali Kravtsov, Alexandar Georgiev

---

Oh ok NYR, let's just keep things simple... you want Miller right?  Here... let's just copy and paste the first three items we see as pieces that are potentially in play for the paperwork.

So you guys get Miller. 

We get "2022 1st Round Pick, Kaapo Kakko, Braden Schneider" ...

There.  Done.  Let's send it off to Bettman.

Article also says NYR want a responsible checking line winger.  That describes Motte perfectly.

Or perhaps Canucks can sell them on Dickinson instead.

:P