The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

45 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Friedman is talking about TOR wanting Miller and Schenn

Who would TOR have that VAN could use?  Not sure Marner fits, even if TOR picks up some of his salary). The guy disappears in the playoffs.

Kerfoot, Dermott, Liligren and 1st?

LOL, doesn't matter what TO's situation is/was, their media will simply target the most enticing player and say they're interested.  After living in the GTA for two years a while back, you can't imagine what their local media talk-shows are like - it's ridiculous and this is coming from someone who calls the Vancouver market their home. 

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Friedman is talking about TOR wanting Miller and Schenn

Who would TOR have that VAN could use?  Not sure Marner fits, even if TOR picks up some of his salary). The guy disappears in the playoffs.

Kerfoot, Dermott, Liligren and 1st?

Their first round picks for the next 5 years?

Marner with $3 million retained?

Nylander?

Honestly this story just sounds like some Toronto media wanting to cook up a story to engage their fans a little who may be feeling left out.  I am sure Toronto has called, just like every other team… but there just doesn’t seem to be an obvious deal.

They have a bunch of overpaid players, not a great prospect pool, and can’t afford to let go players who aren’t overpaid to keep their cap situation in order.

Edited by Provost
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

LOL, doesn't matter what TO's situation is/was, their media will simply target the most enticing player and say they're interested.  After living in the GTA for two years a while back, you can't imagine what their local media talk-shows are like - it's ridiculous and this is coming from someone who calls the Vancouver market their home. 

Yip. It's part of the reason we all hate on the Lafs like we do. It's ridiculous at times. 

53 minutes ago, Provost said:

That is still $2-3 million to replace those roster spots with other players.

Even then, I would rather Miller at what he would cost than Marner at what he costs.

Toronto signed all those deals assuming that cap inflation would make them cheaper over the long run.  That isn’t going to happen, so those deals are not aging well.

The problem with that argument is that Poolman has already been replaced as of this current roster.  So we are paying for his replacement AND for Poolman right now. 

Likewise, I don't see Dickinson holding his spot for that much longer if we bring in better players.  So again, he'd be in the press box, so we'd be paying for him AND his replacement.

• Like 1

Why do people keep saying Marner disappears in the playoffs?  He has 25 points in 32 games in the playoffs. 

For reference, Miller has 28 points in 38 games in the playoffs with TBL and VAN.  So ... does Miller disappear in the playoffs too? lol

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Why do people keep saying Marner disappears in the playoffs?  He has 25 points in 32 games in the playoffs. 

For reference, Miller has 28 points in 38 games in the playoffs with TBL and VAN.  So ... does Miller disappear in the playoffs too? lol

He hasn't scored a goal in his last 12 playoff games

10 minutes ago, 250Integra said:

He hasn't scored a goal in his last 12 playoff games

He's not a goal scorer though.  My expectation is that he will rack up a lot of assists.  Henrik Sedin paced for about 7 goals in 32 games in the playoffs... so he's not that far off from our beloved Captain Sedin.

54 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Just trying to think realistically, the return for Miller.  I'm not a fan of TOR's players, but JR said they want to get younger and faster. Maybe there is no deal to be made with TOR, Friedman just trying to crank up the hype machine for Leafs and Canucks fans.  

I know I just get tired of Leafs media always trying to peddle the Leafs scraps thinking they can acquire every star player.

The best they’ll be able to get at the deadline is Tanner Pearson level player

33 minutes ago, HKSR said:

The problem with that argument is that Poolman has already been replaced as of this current roster.  So we are paying for his replacement AND for Poolman right now. 

Likewise, I don't see Dickinson holding his spot for that much longer if we bring in better players.  So again, he'd be in the press box, so we'd be paying for him AND his replacement.

The problem with that argument is that it isn’t true.

I think both players are overpaid and bad signings.  Neither of them have been knocked off the active roster yet aside from injury.

At worst they are pushed as healthy scratches, not removed from counting against the cap.  To replace even those spots costs money. 

3 minutes ago, Provost said:

The problem with that argument is that it isn’t true.

I think both players are overpaid and bad signings.  Neither of them have been knocked off the active roster yet aside from injury.

At worst they are pushed as healthy scratches, not removed from counting against the cap.  To replace even those spots costs money. 

So we have Myers, Hamonic, and Schenn on the RHD.  Who does Poolman kick out? 

What happens to Burroughs who is also on the cap right now?  And with the recent call-up, Madison Bowey?

So if we trade Poolman away, we need to bring up a 5th or 6th RHD to carry on the roster?  Just because?

I'm starting to warm up to the idea of trading Miller for Marner.
He's only 24 years old, and already has a 94 point season. He's never scored less than 61 points in a season, and Miller never exceeded that until he was 27.
For all the talk of him being soft and disappearing in the playoffs, he's great on the penalty kill and is almost a point per game in the postseason. 

We would be getting younger, and bringing in a top line RWer who can play with Pettersson or Horvat.

We could offload Poolman, and Toronto would get a RHD which they need.

Miller + Poolman

for Marner (20% retained)

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

TSN has Miller at 27 on their trade bait list. :picard:

Way behind the likes of Kessel and Domi…

I think the trade bait board has to do with likelihood of being traded too... the fact Miller has dropped down to 27 tells me experts believe the likelihood of him being traded has decreased significantly.. not necessarily that his value has dropped.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Nave said:

I'm starting to warm up to the idea of trading Miller for Marner.
He's only 24 years old, and already has a 94 point season. He's never scored less than 61 points in a season, and Miller never exceeded that until he was 27.
For all the talk of him being soft and disappearing in the playoffs, he's great on the penalty kill and is almost a point per game in the postseason. 

We would be getting younger, and bringing in a top line RWer who can play with Pettersson or Horvat.

We could offload Poolman, and Toronto would get a RHD which they need.

Miller + Poolman

for Marner (20% retained)

Yes and then ship Marner back out somewhere for what we really need.

No Laffs rejects please. They all come with entitlement issues, haha jk

58 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Fiala heating up lately. On pace for a 70+ point season. I wonder if they’d do Fiala, Lambos and Beckman.

Russo again assured that there's absolutely no chance that the Wild trade Fiala this season.  The chemistry with Boldy is too good.

Russo had an article up today where he says that he's being inundated by tweets from Wild fans worried that they won't be able to extend Fiala.  He simulated the cap situation and his gut feeling is that they won't be able to make it work. He actually forgot to account for the performance bonuses so it's even uglier than he projects.  

There are apparently quite a few teams interested in Fiala and in all likelihood he'll be traded for futures because they can't take cap back.  

12 minutes ago, HKSR said:

So we have Myers, Hamonic, and Schenn on the RHD.  Who does Poolman kick out? 

What happens to Burroughs who is also on the cap right now?  And with the recent call-up, Madison Bowey?

So if we trade Poolman away, we need to bring up a 5th or 6th RHD to carry on the roster?  Just because?

He doesn’t have to kick out one of those three to be on the active roster… you are falsely trying to argue that trading away three roster players and bringing back just one means you don’t have to spend any money to replace the other two empty roster spots.

We are going to carry 7 or 8 D on the roster at any given time and at least 13 forwards.  Forget the names or specific players… if you trade away some of them, you have to pay someone for those spots, you don’t just get to say you are saving their full salaries.  You are only saving their salaries minus the player that replaces that roster spot.