The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

2 minutes ago, JM_ said:

If all of the deals are basically equivalent, then why wouldn't winning matter to him? I never said he'd leave a lot on the table. He'll get market value from whatever team he decides to go to.

He may be willing to sign here a year early as well, since you never know what can happen. If he turns down an extension this July and we decide to keep him, he risks a down year or injury too. 

I think the only scenario where he might take a discount is a team in a very tax friendly state.......I should say, I don't blame him at all if he does

Edited by stawns
  • Cheers 1

7 hours ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

I'm not a fan of a 6 year deal, but a 3-4 year extension for Miller would not alarm me.  He's earning every dollar of it and he brings a lot to the team.  Miller is 28, not 33.

Lol, you're living in a dream world. 

• Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I honestly don't know how some of these posters think we're signing him for 4 years or $7m. It's like...:blink::blink::blink:

9 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

i mean why wouldnt he get john tavares money?

Cuz he loves Vancouver so much and wants to win with this team that he’s willing to sign a very cap friendly contract.

Lol

:P

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, JM_ said:

covid flat cap and big losses around the league. His timing sucks for getting 10-11 mil from anyone. 

backstrom got 9.2 as a 32 year old. zibanejad got 8.5 8 years at 29. id say he would demand at least 7 years and hes looking between 8.5 and 9.5m. hes better than backstrom and at least as good as zibenajad or better. still think he could get 10 mill on the open market

• Vintage 1

Man, the more Miller plays like this, the more painful it would be if he's traded away.  He's quite literally one of the best players in the entire league.  Has a guy like this ever been traded in the middle of their prime? 

Mark Stone comes close, but he's a winger.

28 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Man, the more Miller plays like this, the more painful it would be if he's traded away.  He's quite literally one of the best players in the entire league.  Has a guy like this ever been traded in the middle of their prime? 

Tons of guys........most notably

Nba Finals Smile GIF by NBA

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, JM_ said:

covid flat cap and big losses around the league. His timing sucks for getting 10-11 mil from anyone. 

Hamilton and Pietrangelo both got paid as the top UFA's of their class, there's no reason to believe Miller couldn't get 9M or more.

He wont get 10M+, but the flat cap won't impact his ability to get paid, top players always get paid.

20 minutes ago, Screw said:

Unless there is a franchise redefining offer I would try to resign Miller for a deal around  5 years.

Good luck getting him to take less than 7-8 years on his big cash in deal, do you really expect him to give up 10M+?

It's baffling how folks think this'll happen. Would you walk away from what likely amounts to 17M or more over two years? Anyone here who says they would is talking out their ass.

He almost certainly gets 7 years wherever he goes, possibly 8 of he re-signs.

Edited by Coconuts
  • Vintage 2

19 minutes ago, Screw said:

Unless there is a franchise redefining offer I would try to resign Miller for a deal around  5 years.

And why would he do that?  Zibinajad was a year younger and signed for 8 years.  This is his last big contract and his only shot at a generational payday

• Vintage 2

They'll re-sign Miller. Trading him will be like ripping the heart out of the team, it would destroy the room.

It wouldn't matter what player or how many picks and prospects would be coming back. They wouldn't be able to replace what Miller brings. Yes, he is getting older (like all of us), but he's probably got at least 5 really good years left. Canucks might even get to the Show again in that span with him.  

IMO they should be trading Boeser and Garland +, to get a couple of good youngish Ds. 

Edited by NUCKER67

1 hour ago, Petey_BOI said:

backstrom got 9.2 as a 32 year old. zibanejad got 8.5 8 years at 29. id say he would demand at least 7 years and hes looking between 8.5 and 9.5m. hes better than backstrom and at least as good as zibenajad or better. still think he could get 10 mill on the open market

Miller doesn't have Backstrom's resume tho. People were talking Tavares money, no one is giving Miller 11 million. 

Edited by JM_
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Hamilton and Pietrangelo both got paid as the top UFA's of their class, there's no reason to believe Miller couldn't get 9M or more.

He wont get 10M+, but the flat cap won't impact his ability to get paid, top players always get paid.

really depends on the term imo. It will be the total package offered not necessarily the highest aav. 

2 hours ago, stawns said:

I think that's wishful thinking.  People always go to the "he wants to win do he'll leave money on the table" argument and no one ever does.

yup very rare unless the guy was drafted by the team and played his career there, at the tail end chasing a cup, or joining a juggernaut for short term chasing a cup. Miller is neither of the first 2 and we are not a juggernaut competing for a cup either.

• Vintage 1

35 minutes ago, HKSR said:

If this part of your statement is true - which I'm not saying it is or it isn't - then the suggestions (not by you HK) that he sign for anything less than 9 or 10mil on a max term deal are totally unrealistic.  If you look at the entire NHL and see the supposedly 'best players in the league' then that is the range - 9 or 10 mil on long-term contracts with NTC/NMC. 

The suggestions on this thread (again, not by you) that he take a 'hometown discount' or a 'short-term' deal, or look at 'low-ball' comparisons to other players is laughable.  No agent in the league would recommend their client do that - especially not a client as you say yourself HK, that is literally one of the best players in the entire league. 

This is why many here, including myself, suggest that the team seriously explore trading this asset and maximizing the return while his value is at an all-time high.  Any contract he signs here could have the potential to cripple this team financially short-term, and be a burden to move long-term. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1