The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

11 minutes ago, HOFsedins said:

Not sure what you mean by irreplaceable. Miller is a PPG player for a couple seasons now that costs 5.2M. Plays C or wing and is strong on faceoffs. Plays PP and PK and plays with his heart on his sleeve. It isnt a coincidence that he broke out once he was given top line minutes on our team. 

I love Bo but everyone knows what we have in him. He has played 1st line minutes for a few seasons already and has never gotten close to  PPG. 

To say "Miller isn't some irreplaceable player with a skill set that can't be matched" is foolish. And maybe Bo might reach Miller's level,  but to say he will be better is a longshot.

I agree that Bo isn’t the same level of Miller. Miller is better offensively, and plays literally in all situations. To have that kind of player is special. But a player with that kind of skill set is also of great value as well. He’s going to get us a king’s ransom if he’s traded, especially it seems the Rangers are wanting him so badly, the longer they wait, the better the deal will be for us. Rutherford can afford to wait, but the Rangers may not want to wait, and just give what the Canucks want, if getting Miller will get them far into the playoffs, maybe even win a Cup. That’s the whole goal of playing. 

Laff, Schneider, and a 1st. Would you do that deal for Miller? 

46 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

There's a rumour a few pages back regarding lafrennier/kakko and pick(s) about how the rags and nucks talks are heating up

Why not?  If we snag Lafrennier we can absolutely throw him to MTL for a 1st +

We get NYRs 1st/2nd this year, MTLs 1st this or next year plus a top prospect.  Lottery protect it for top 5 this year or open trade next year no restrictions.

That's 2 top prospects, 4 total 1st round picks over the next 2 seasons, one being high because the habs gonna be baaaad for a while

Yes. But does Montréal have a high end RHD that we would like? 

I like Schneider a lot. Seems to tick all the boxes for us, and it’s an area of need. He’s 20 years old, so it could very well be that he could actually make the roster next season and do relatively well. Hughes-Schneider pairing for the next decade? Yes &^@#ing please. 

On top of that, if you can get Laff/Kakko included in the package, as well as a 1st, then you’re all set in my books for the Canucks. That’s as good a deal as you can get. 

Could potentially flip Laff to the Habs if they’re just as desperate for a French-Canadian player to wear their colors, maybe even for a king’s ransom as well, depending on how badly the Habs want him. 

This Canucks’ management could very well make this team into a contender in a shorter period of time than it took Benning and Weisbrod. Amazing what happens when you put competent people in place. 

3 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I agree that Bo isn’t the same level of Miller. Miller is better offensively, and plays literally in all situations. To have that kind of player is special. But a player with that kind of skill set is also of great value as well. He’s going to get us a king’s ransom if he’s traded, especially it seems the Rangers are wanting him so badly, the longer they wait, the better the deal will be for us. Rutherford can afford to wait, but the Rangers may not want to wait, and just give what the Canucks want, if getting Miller will get them far into the playoffs, maybe even win a Cup. That’s the whole goal of playing. 

I'd do that deal in a heartbeat, in fact, I'd do it for Laf and Schneider alone. 

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I'd do that deal in a heartbeat, in fact, I'd do it for Laf and Schneider alone. 

I would do that deal too, I doubt rangers move laf tho cuz he was a 1st overall but I also agree with flipping him to mtl that is a great idea. we need centermen and right side 

Schneider fits perfectly. Ideally we get a guy like Schneider and a young C but I do not like chytil

1 hour ago, N4ZZY said:

Bo better than Miller? 

He’s only 2 years younger than Miller. I don’t see Horvat’s offense getting to the level of JT to be honest. 

Bo to me seems like a 60-65 point player, maybe he hits 70 points a few times in his career. He has yet to do it once in his career yet.

I dunno if I agree with that, but you may be right. When was the last time Bo was played as a 1C? The last few season I've almost always seen him discussed as a 2C behind Pettersson, and now behind Miller. Who's to say what he could accomplish with legitimate top line minutes, and if he were freed up of being used as our primary matchup center? Give him plum offensive minutes and our best wingers and I wouldn't be shocked if he hit Miller numbers. 

With the twins around he was never going to be top dog, and I don't think he ever really got a chance to be once Pettersson stepped in and had immediate success. And then Miller moved to center full time. 

Edited by Coconuts

Just now, Coconuts said:

I dunno if I agree with that, but you may be right. When was the last time Bo was played as a 1C? The last few season I've almost always seen him discussed as a 2C behind Pettersson, and now behind Miller. Who's to say what he could accomplish with legitimate top line minutes, and if he were freed up of being used as our primary matchup center? Give him plum offensive minutes and our best wingers and I wouldn't be shocked if he hit Miller numbers. 

I’d be interested to see if Miller is traded, that Bo gets elevated to number 1 centre. I’d be interested then to see if he can produce what Miller produced during his time here. I say Pettersson probably is now #2 Centre (or he has to be if Miller is traded), and who’s #3? Dickinson? Lammikko? Our centre depth takes a slight hit. But yeah, I’d like to see Horvat be given the opportunity. If he can produce at the level that Miller was producing, then we’re good! But if not, then we know what have in Bo moving forward. And Pettersson, you hope, regains his former offensive form. 

And this season, it’s not like he’s had bad wingers either. Hasn’t he been playing with Garland and Höglander? 

Just now, N4ZZY said:

I’d be interested to see if Miller is traded, that Bo gets elevated to number 1 centre. I’d be interested then to see if he can produce what Miller produced during his time here. I say Pettersson probably is now #2 Centre (or he has to be if Miller is traded), and who’s #3? Dickinson? Lammikko? Our centre depth takes a slight hit. But yeah, I’d like to see Horvat be given the opportunity. If he can produce at the level that Miller was producing, then we’re good! But if not, then we know what have in Bo moving forward. And Pettersson, you hope, regains his former offensive form. 

And this season, it’s not like he’s had bad wingers either. Hasn’t he been playing with Garland and Höglander? 

good discussion, I think what we need if we are trading miller is a young Rside D and a young playmaking centre- Petey is a good playmaker bo is bit more straight line which is great, 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

good discussion, I think what we need if we are trading miller is a young Rside D and a young playmaking centre- Petey is a good playmaker bo is bit more straight line which is great, 

Yeah, which is why I think the Rangers are the perfect trading partners for us for Miller. 

You get a 1st back, Schneider (this has to be the centre piece coming back) who is a RHD, and Laff/Kakko. Not sure if Kakko is a centre, but Laff definitely is. Both of them seem to be quite underwhelming since being drafted, but they’re really young too, so they have some time on their side to grow and get better. 

20 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Yes. But does Montréal have a high end RHD that we would like? 

I like Schneider a lot. Seems to tick all the boxes for us, and it’s an area of need. He’s 20 years old, so it could very well be that he could actually make the roster next season and do relatively well. Hughes-Schneider pairing for the next decade? Yes &^@#ing please. 

On top of that, if you can get Laff/Kakko included in the package, as well as a 1st, then you’re all set in my books for the Canucks. That’s as good a deal as you can get. 

Could potentially flip Laff to the Habs if they’re just as desperate for a French-Canadian player to wear their colors, maybe even for a king’s ransom as well, depending on how badly the Habs want him. 

This Canucks’ management could very well make this team into a contender in a shorter period of time than it took Benning and Weisbrod. Amazing what happens when you put competent people in place. 

Lafrennier is a 1st OA pick, not lighting it up yet but 2 years removed.  A brand new GM in Montreal and the fan base needing something or someone to rally around.

I think it's a deal that would interest the Habs

If the Habs have a decent prospect of any type plus a first, lottery protected this year, wide open next year for a french Canadian 1st overall trending upwards still salary protected I'd absolutely do that.

I'd even eat a small salary for a season to get an additional 2nd out of them

Just now, N4ZZY said:

Center depth would take a hit, but I don't think trying to run three straight up offensive centers down the middle was the way to go. Two top six centers, a matchup third line center, and a guy who can match up decently as a fourth line center is what I'd like. Having Sutter and Beagle wasn't a bad thing, I'd love to have two center's in that vein. Ideally you'd get a bit more offense from your third guy than we did from Sutter, but it depends on who's out there. Even as it stands, I'm not sold on our centers. Not having Sutter hurt us early when our PK was killing us, we never really replaced him as Dickinson couldn't replicate what he did at center. We never really replaced Beagle. 

Horvat would be a 1C on some teams as is. Could see him being 1C in Anaheim, he'd be top dog in Seattle, Arizona easily, maybe Chicago as Toews has fallen off, probably Minnesota, Columbus, Buffalo, maybe Montreal, Ottawa. Maybe a couple others. 

He was never going to be top dog with the twins around, and then Pettersson stepped in and had immediate success. And then Miller moved over to center. Has Bo ever had a legitimate chance to be 1C here? I don't recall. But he's used as our primary matchup guy which takes him away from playing offensively. Give him prime offensive minutes, get someone else to play top matchup guy, and give him our best wingers and I think he surprises some people. 

Just because he's had solid wingers doesn't mean he's had top wingers. His most consistent line mate has Pearson. How long have people been screaming for management to get someone to play with Bo? He's just finally gotten one in Garland. 

3 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Center depth would take a hit, but I don't think trying to run three straight up offensive centers down the middle was the way to go. Two top six centers, a matchup third line center, and a guy who can match up decently as a fourth line center is what I'd like. Having Sutter and Beagle wasn't a bad thing, I'd love to have two center's in that vein. Ideally you'd get a bit more offense from your third guy than we did from Sutter, but it depends on who's out there. Even as it stands, I'm not sold on our centers. Not having Sutter hurt us early when our PK was killing us, we never really replaced him as Dickinson couldn't replicate what he did at center. We never really replaced Beagle. 

Horvat would be a 1C on some teams as is. Could see him being 1C in Anaheim, he'd be top dog in Seattle, Arizona easily, maybe Chicago as Toews has fallen off, probably Minnesota, Columbus, Buffalo, maybe Montreal, Ottawa. Maybe a couple others. 

He was never going to be top dog with the twins around, and then Pettersson stepped in and had immediate success. And then Miller moved over to center. Has Bo ever had a legitimate chance to be 1C here? I don't recall. But he's used as our primary matchup guy which takes him away from playing offensively. Give him prime offensive minutes, get someone else to play top matchup guy, and give him our best wingers and I think he surprises some people. 

Just because he's had solid wingers doesn't mean he's had top wingers. His most consistent line mate has Pearson. How long have people been screaming for management to get someone to play with Bo? He's just finally gotten one in Garland. 

He’s played with Garland for a bit too hasn’t he? Garland’s a pretty player in my books. He’s also played with Brock too. Those guys are good players. They’re no slouches. 

I agree that on some teams, Bo would be the #1 guy, and if I were a betting man, I’d be willing to bet that Boudreau moves Horvat to #1 centre if Miller is traded. I think we might and could see an incline in terms of his offense, depending of course chemistry with his line mates, and who those line mates are going to be. 

Sutter would have been a great fourth line centre, maybe even slotting into the #3 spot down the middle. Dickinson for whatever reason hasn’t worked out down the middle for us. I can see him being moved for maybe better centre-depth. Lammikko has surprised me with the way he’s played over the last few games. Beagle was just slow nearing the end of his time with the team. But he was a great soldier on the ice, gave it his all every time he stepped on, and he killed the PK pretty well, something we didn’t have entering into this season. 

The more the rumors come out about Miller, the more I feel and sense that it’s inevitable that he’ll be traded, and we get a pretty good package coming back this way. Bo signs a long term deal, because you know, this management and executive team already communicates far better than Benning and Weisbrod did during their near decade long term here. I think players are starting to gain the confidence of JR and the front office he’s starting to put together. Wouldn’t be surprised to see Bo sign 6/7 year deal here worth just over 6.5 or 7M. 

19 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Your absolutely right that his value is sky high. If that was the package offered, I would defintely take it. At the same time, you gotta wonder what it will do to the team moving forward because that is a big hole to fill especially with our core players either in their prime or going into their prime and none of them matching Miller's production atm.

2 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

He’s played with Garland for a bit too hasn’t he? Garland’s a pretty player in my books. He’s also played with Brock too. Those guys are good players. They’re no slouches. 

I agree that on some teams, Bo would be the #1 guy, and if I were a betting man, I’d be willing to bet that Boudreau moves Horvat to #1 centre if Miller is traded. I think we might and could see an incline in terms of his offense, depending of course chemistry with his line mates, and who those line mates are going to be. 

Sutter would have been a great fourth line centre, maybe even slotting into the #3 spot down the middle. Dickinson for whatever reason hasn’t worked out down the middle for us. I can see him being moved for maybe better centre-depth. Lammikko has surprised me with the way he’s played over the last few games. Beagle was just slow nearing the end of his time with the team. But he was a great soldier on the ice, gave it his all every time he stepped on, and he killed the PK pretty well, something we didn’t have entering into this season. 

The more the rumors come out about Miller, the more I feel and sense that it’s inevitable that he’ll be traded, and we get a pretty good package coming back this way. Bo signs a long term deal, because you know, this management and executive team already communicates far better than Benning and Weisbrod did during their near decade long term here. I think players are starting to gain the confidence of JR and the front office he’s starting to put together. Wouldn’t be surprised to see Bo sign 6/7 year deal here worth just over 6.5 or 7M. 

He's played with Boeser, but once Pettersson stepped in didn't he primarily get Boeser as a linemate? Up until this season wasn't that the case? Bo's most consistent linemate has been Pearson, he's always had a mixed bag thrown at him. Garland is this season, what about up til now? My point isn't that Bo hasn't had good linemates, it's that he hasn't consistently had great linemates. Unlike Miller he hasn't ever seen an extended period of playing with players of Pettersson and Boeser's caliber. Not as a Canuck anyway. 

Who's he had? Boeser now and again? Baer? Pearson? Now Garland? Player Name? Goldobin? Virtanen? Leivo? Gaudette? Hoglander as of last season? Garland as of this season? Not exactly premium linemates, Garland excluded. Hoglander was a rookie, now he's a sophomore. Pearson's a solid middle six tweener who produces offense in streaks. 

I'm just saying, I don't we should be putting a cap on what Bo's capable of given he's never been put in the position to be top dog offensively. Could see him being a 60-70 point guy if surrounded and utilized properly. Does he actually do it or get the opportunity? Anyone's guess. 

If Miller is moved I wouldn't be surprised to see Bo a 1C while Elias figures his stuff out. If Elias proves he can do it, even better. You keep Bo as 2C and give him the best linemates you can. But I still think having someone to take tougher matchups and free him up offensively is important going forward. 

Wasn't Dickinson primarily used as a winger in Dallas? Lammikko's been respectable and may be found money. Not sold on Dickinson as a 3C though. 

I think Miller goes, and I'd do everything we can to retain Bo. He's easily worth 6.5-7M, maybe a little more. 7.25M. But the key will be showing him that this team is committed to competing and making this roster better in the midst of making changes. 

1 minute ago, HOFsedins said:

Your absolutely right that his value is sky high. If that was the package offered, I would defintely take it. At the same time, you gotta wonder what it will do to the team moving forward because that is a big hole to fill especially with our core players either in their prime or going into their prime and none of them matching Miller's production atm.

Might take a step back offensively, but you fill a need, and pray to the hockey gods that Laff will grow into a juggernaut offensive role with the Canucks. 

If the Rangers are going all in, then it doesn't really matter for them. Their timeline isn't to develop prospects, it's win-now mode. I don't know the Rangers very well, are they in win now mode? Cause if they are, then that would explain their aggressiveness to attempt to get Miller, and probably for them as cheap as possible. 

40 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Yeah, which is why I think the Rangers are the perfect trading partners for us for Miller. 

You get a 1st back, Schneider (this has to be the centre piece coming back) who is a RHD, and Laff/Kakko. Not sure if Kakko is a centre, but Laff definitely is. Both of them seem to be quite underwhelming since being drafted, but they’re really young too, so they have some time on their side to grow and get better. 

That's why I think Chytll, Schneider and a high pick is a good deal.  They get a blossoming #2-3 damn in Schneider, a cman with size in chytll and a high pick.  There's been a bit of concern with chytll at centre, but hes young and had time to grow into it.  He's got good speed, good size and lots of offensive creativity

1 hour ago, N4ZZY said:

No way NYR give that package. JR would jump on that like no body's business..  

3 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

No way NYR give that package. JR would jump on that like no body's business..  

I don't see it either.  However, as his current deal still has a year at an amazing cap hit, he's going to bring in a big payday if they do move him.  

• Upvote 1