The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

16 hours ago, aGENT said:

It didn't actually have misleading onformation in it. It was quite balanced. I didn't say they will move Theodore, I said it's being discussed as a possibility.

Guys like Dadanov will cost them an arm and a leg to move and they have limited options as to who they can move between clauses, contracts etc. The article brought up real, actual issues that might cause a guy like Theodore to shake lose. Or if not him, potentially Hague.

Either way, they're going to need to give up big time assets (prospects and picks) to move guys like Dadanov, or lose guys like Theodore, Hague etc. The canucks being in position to take advantage of either of those scenarios is a good thing. But that doesn't fit your little view, so you're still yelling at clouds.

That article is purely speculative.

The fact is the article incorrectly states that Martinez has a NTC.  He has an m-NTC.  That's a major difference, especially when there's only 12 teams on his list next year.

Also, did you actually watch Dadonov last night?  He has plenty of gas left in the tank.  It won't cost an arm and a leg to move him.  ESPECIALLY when he's entering the last year of his contract. 

Bottomline is if you know what kind of player Theodore is, or heck, even watched last night's game, it would be idiotic to even think for a moment that Vegas would move him over all of the other options on the table.  Like I said, it would be like the Canucks moving Hughes.  In your dreams if you think Theodore would be moved for scraps and that the Canucks would be able to take advantage of it. 

If you want Dadonov or Martinez for cheap, then sure, trade Miller away for them.  I'm sure that would help this franchise.

Like other posters have asked of you, why don't you come up with some trade options for Miller that actually make sense for both teams.  Then we can have an actual intelligent debate over it.  Making it sound like you can get Theodore from VGK for a 2nd round pick is a fantasy.

7 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

yeah, not really a fan of the person either, but I can only hope that was because he was immature, back then the Canucks had this "rule" about video games, and Laine made some comments. In hindsite, banning video games was silly. These guys are millionaire professionals. Laine is a goal scorer, and maybe playing with Petey and Podz would even increase his production. 

As with all transactions, it would be a gamble... just not one I'd be willing to take unless I knew how big of a contract he wants.  Kinda the same situation as Boeser. 

29 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I'd love to, but I don't think we going to be able to get rid of Dickinson, unless we buy him out.

Plus, I have to hope that somewhere in there is the player (probably as winger though) that he was in Dallas, and hope that this year was just a case of new city/new team/not fitting in to the hoped for C role/bad Green start to the season etc.

WAY too early to give up on Hoglander IMO. That'll age almost as well as the people wanting to trade Pettersson IMO.

That said, depending on the return, I'm not opposed to moving him. I wonder what him and Rathbone packaged could get us...?

I see a lot of Baertschi in Hoggy, hope I'm wrong. 

Packaged with Rathbone and Garland, e.g., I'd be thrilled if we could get Severson for that. I doubt NJ would bite but that kind of deal would be great. 

VAN has had an inferiority complex for a long time, maybe since the beginning, losing that #1 pick to BUF.  Always chasing. They came close (SCF) 3 times in 52 years.  Doesn't seem like a great record.  52 years is a long time.

Henrik and Daniel used to say they want to play the right way, but maybe the right way is how teams like BOS, TB and PIT play - every player plays hard every game. Or building an exciting young team like CAR. Look at what DET, BUF, ANA, LA, NJ etc are doing - tons of good prospects developing. 

Canucks are way behind, because they mortgaged the future to try and compete now. Silly. They have nothing in the prospect pool, other than another small mobile Dman. 

They have some very good pieces already in place, but they need more high end younger guys

Horvat, Pettersson, Boeser, Podkolzin, Hoglander, Lockwood

Hughes, Dermott, Burroughs

Demko

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, JM_ said:

Packaged with Rathbone and Garland, e.g., I'd be thrilled if we could get Severson for that. I doubt NJ would bite but that kind of deal would be great. 

Severson will be 28 next season and a pending UFA after that.

That’s way too much for a player that is severely overrated on here. He’s also going to be commanding a big payday which we can’t afford with the money already allocated to our D.

We won’t be trading Rathbone. We’re gonna need as many young D men with upside on ELC’s as we can get. He could easily be as good as Severson when all is said and done anyways.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Severson will be 28 next season and a pending UFA after that.

That’s way too much for a player that is severely overrated on here. He’s also going to be commanding a big payday which we can’t afford with the money already allocated to our D.

We won’t be trading Rathbone. We’re gonna need as many young D men with upside on ELC’s as we can get. He could easily be as good as Severson when all is said and done anyways.

curious why you think he's over rated? he's durable, plays over 20 mins, good producer on a bad team, top 4 RHD. whats wrong with that?

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, JM_ said:

curious why you think he's over rated? he's durable, plays over 20 mins, good producer on a bad team, top 4 RHD. whats wrong with that?

Ristolainen is all those things too. Doesn’t mean I want him on my team.

Again though it comes down to cap allocation. We can’t be adding another D that’s going to be commanding 6+ mil. We need cost controlled defensemen. 

If we’re making a trade it will be for someone like Marino who’s locked in for 4 more seasons.

29 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Henrik and Daniel used to say they want to play the right way, but maybe the right way is how teams like BOS, TB and PIT play

Yes, this is how the early '90' - mid '00's Canucks teams played and they were tough and exciting. The 1994 cup run team was one of the best examples of team toughness in Canuck history and the west coast express era was similar. 

I'd like to go back to seeing a team that doesn't get pushed around when the going gets tough.

If not re-signing Miller then maybe a trade with BOS?  Maybe add some contracts we may not want?

Miller + Myers + Dickinson

for

Debrusk (he wanted out before signing his extension) + Carlo + Lysell + 2023 1st?

15 minutes ago, BPA said:

If not re-signing Miller then maybe a trade with BOS?  Maybe add some contracts we may not want?

for

Debrusk (he wanted out before signing his extension) + Carlo + Lysell + 2023 1st?

I'd do that one.  I like that we don't lose RHD depth with Carlo coming back at a lower cap hit.

29 minutes ago, BPA said:

for

Boston's priority this season was to find another top-4 LD - doesn't feel likely that they would move Carlo when they felt they needed more help on that side.  

12 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

To CBJ

Miller

2023 2nd

To VAN

sillenger

Ceulemens

Jenner

CBJ just named Jenner their captain with Davidson saying he is part of their fabric.  They are also in a rebuild after trading Jones.  Miller doesn't fit their timeline.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, mll said:

CBJ just named Jenner their captain with Davidson saying he is part of their fabric.  They are also in a rebuild after trading Jones.  Miller doesn't fit their timeline.  

you are right... sad tho shoulda/woulda he was the centerman for Nick Jensen in junior. for some reason we drafted the big soft winger Jensen that year in the first after getting beat up by the bruins-instead of the rugged two way big C Jenner on the same line, Jenner even had better numbers, why Gillis why!!!!!!!!!???????

They decided to draft by position, we already had Hodgson and schroeder :( booohooohooo, Jensen always had issues with fitness and speed and not using his size, some armchair GMing (like this)

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Ristolainen is all those things too. Doesn’t mean I want him on my team.

Again though it comes down to cap allocation. We can’t be adding another D that’s going to be commanding 6+ mil. We need cost controlled defensemen. 

If we’re making a trade it will be for someone like Marino who’s locked in for 4 more seasons.

except Risto isn't really a top 4, he's worse than Myers. 

Marino would be great too. 

50 minutes ago, JM_ said:

except Risto isn't really a top 4, he's worse than Myers. 

Marino would be great too. 

Is he great though?  Or would he just be better/cheaper than what we have other than QH? 

1 hour ago, BPA said:

for

I've been looking at a trade with Boston, but I've come to the conclusion that it is not likely,

unless they have a decent play off run.  They are looking like their window is starting

to close, as their best players are in the late 20's to mid 30's and their prospect pool is

middling to shallow.

If the Bruins think they can make another run (or 2) at the cup, they just might go for a trade

that would bring them a better chance.  I don't see them paying Miller the kind of term + $ 

people have been suggesting because they have always managed to sign their players to home

discount contracts.  I would think that they would have permission to talk to Miller's agent before

even thinking of a trade.

That said, there is no way that Boston takes the Myers + Dixie contracts and I don't see Lysel or

a 1st involved.  Carlo has very high traded value, as he an ideal RD for Hughes.  He's 25yrs and

has an attractive contract and is the Bruins 2nd RD (behind McAvoy).  I don't know whether

the Bruins would let him go.

Miller for Carlo + Dubrusk = $8.1 salary cap.  Just because Debrusk isn't a good fit for the Bruins,

doesn't mean he has low value or that they'll give him away.  If they can sign Miller for 7-7.5m

they would be in good shape, but I don't know what they do to replace Carlo.

So not an impossible trade, but probably not likely (unfortunately).

3 hours ago, JM_ said:

I'm with DeNiro. Aim higher.