The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

Just now, Canucks Curse said:

does anyone think we could get Cole silenger and Carson cuelemens from CBJ for Miller?

Not a chance - CBJ are building around Sillinger, Johnson and co.  Miller is far too old to fit their timeline.

45 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I'd argue Bo has really turned his game around.  Heck, he's a 30+ goal scoring centre now.  Not many of those around.

I’ll agree with Bo ,.  I was losing faith in him around Christmas,.  
but I think Bo is buying into the ethic that JT is bringing.

JT could score half as many goals ,  but it’s that ethic that gets installed on our better players and brings the best out of them.

That is JTs big value,  his leadership.. he is vocal, physical, and plays with emotion.

yes emotion,  ever top end player smashes sticks. Slams doors, and gets pizzed  with a ref..  things matter to them, and they use that energy to bring out the best.

Unfortunately,

I think Boeser will be out, and moved after arbitration settles the best deal for the team.

id be happy to see Debrusk and Carlo come back for him.

3 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

I’ll agree with Bo ,.  I was losing faith in him around Christmas,.  
but I think Bo is buying into the ethic that JT is bringing.

JT could score half as many goals ,  but it’s that ethic that gets installed on our better players and brings the best out of them.

That is JTs big value,  his leadership.. he is vocal, physical, and plays with emotion.

yes emotion,  ever top end player smashes sticks. Slams doors, and gets pizzed  with a ref..  things matter to them, and they use that energy to bring out the best.

Unfortunately,

I think Boeser will be out, and moved after arbitration settles the best deal for the team.

id be happy to see Debrusk and Carlo come back for him.

Getting Carlo doesn't feel particularly realistic even in a Miller trade.  Boston have been looking for another LD for quite some time - reason why they were initially in on OEL.  Now that they've fixed that hole in their lineup don't see why they would create it all over again.  

• Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, mll said:

Getting Carlo doesn't feel particularly realistic even in a Miller trade.  Boston have been looking for another LD for quite some time - reason why they were initially in on OEL.  Now that they've fixed that hole in their lineup don't see why they would create it all over again.  

Wait what? They want OEL? :ph34r:

34 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Wait what? They want OEL? :ph34r:

Obviously not - it never got really serious per Friedman although it did leak that he would waive for only Boston and Vancouver (was Arizona's 1st attempt to trade him - Canucks got Schmidt that off-season).  On the 2nd run when he finally got traded, Boston had already backed out.  Just gives an indication of how long they've been looking for a top-4 LD on top of Carlo and it's only this TDL that they've finally filled that hole when it's been a priority for so long.  They also considered Chychrun.

Edited by mll

21 minutes ago, mll said:

Obviously not - it never got really serious per Friedman although it did leak that he would waive for only Boston and Vancouver (was Arizona's 1st attempt to trade him - Canucks got Schmidt that off-season).  On the 2nd run when he finally got traded, Boston had already backed out.  Just gives an indication of how long they've been looking for a top-4 LD on top of Carlo and it's only this TDL that they've finally filled that hole when it's been a priority for so long.  They also considered Chychrun.

I'm in the minority I think, but I actually like having OEL on the D core.  He provides insurance in case Hughes is injured.  Clearly OEL is capable of way more, so hopefully we find him a RHD partner that allows him to unleash his offence.

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Boeser will re-sign, at a discount?  ($7) 

Bo will take a discount and re-sign  ($6.5)

That isn't a discount for Boeser I'd say. If they want to keep him I'm hoping they sign him for under $5 million a year longer term or do another bridge for 1-2 years if he wants to bet on himself. Anything around 7-8 million (or signing his qualifying offer) is a big risk I think based on how his play has gone the last little while. Which like many have said I can see them shopping him around even if they sign an extension. 

I'd be happy signing Bo for 6.5 (or less!) for 7-8 years. Let's him have a nice long Canucks run as Captain and if he stays at this level of 30 goals per season for a while more then I think that's good value for the Canucks. 

5 hours ago, HKSR said:

This thread and the article was about Miller being traded.  Fiala as a return was a possible option.  At the time, it was a real possibility that Miller was gonna be traded.  Heck, it still is a real possibility.

The other article is about Theodore.  It's not gonna happen.  That's why nobody has started any discussion nor threads about it. 

In fact, if you actually read the article, it's not even specifically pinpointing Theodore to be moved for cheap.  It brings up several different options for VGK to be cap compliant... THIS YEAR.  The article was from Nov 2021.  There are ZERO rumours about Theodore being moved.  That's why it annoyed me when the fellow poster made it sound like Theodore could be had for cheap, just to try and make a point that cap space means you can acquire franchise players for peanuts.  Miller was luck.  He wasn't a Top 10 1C when we acquired him.  He was a 3rd line (maybe 2nd line) winger.

No.

3 hours ago, Bobby James said:

That isn't a discount for Boeser I'd say. If they want to keep him I'm hoping they sign him for under $5 million a year longer term or do another bridge for 1-2 years if he wants to bet on himself. Anything around 7-8 million (or signing his qualifying offer) is a big risk I think based on how his play has gone the last little while. Which like many have said I can see them shopping him around even if they sign an extension. 

I'd be happy signing Bo for 6.5 (or less!) for 7-8 years. Let's him have a nice long Canucks run as Captain and if he stays at this level of 30 goals per season for a while more then I think that's good value for the Canucks. 

I was thinking Boeser is worth Toffoli numbers at best. TT has a much better resume than BB. Brock will be coming off 16 goals(edit:Oops 19), that’s Virtanen territory (without the baggage of course).

I like Brock a lot but 7M for him would cripple this franchise.  

Edited by DrJockitch

4 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

I was thinking Boeser is worth Toffoli numbers at best. TT has a much better resume than BB. Brock will be coming off 16 goals(edit:Oops 19), that’s Virtanen territory (without the baggage of course).

I like Brock a lot but 7M for him would cripple this franchise.

yeah based on his play I'd say TT is a fair comparable. Boeser of course has some more upside, but TT is better in other areas of the game currently so kinda a trade off. 

On 4/13/2022 at 3:06 PM, Bobby James said:

I'm very excited for the playoffs to start. 

Vancouver will likely be looking to move 1-2 of Miller, Boeser, Garland and I think the best trading partners won't be known until after the first round. Some teams who are planning on going on a decent run will naturally lose in the 1st round and I think those will be the best targets for a trade with Vancouver. 

Boston feels like a good choice (right now looking at their current roster and age range) for Miller or Garland but they will need to give up something (especially for Miller). Carlo would be the piece I want and even though he is a really good player on a great contract, I would say Boston might be open to moving him. If offense in the playoffs are an issue I think Carlo is the piece they move out where they get something excellent back. Mcavoy is their #1 and now they signed Lindholm long term and it could be argued is their #2, so sometimes you gotta move your next best asset. 

But if Boston goes on a great run here then they may not feel they need such a big change in the offseason and look for smaller adjustments for next year's run. I guess we'll see who needs what out of the contending teams after the playoffs. 

Was thinking the same thing - best scenario is we move him to a team who wants a one year push to go deep in the playoffs next year. At this point I would be happy to recoup a 1st and a prospect for him at the draft.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, MikeBossy said:

Was thinking the same thing - best scenario is we move him to a team who wants a one year push to go deep in the playoffs next year. At this point I would be happy to recoup a 1st and a prospect for him at the draft.

I’m hoping we get a young prospect, who has a very good pedigree, but is struggling a bit.  Lafreniere or Kakko or Chytl would be nice.  

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, JM_ said:

the one interesting part to me is the escrow piece. Most of the rest of that is stuff like taxes and food which everyone has to do. Nice to see it broken down though for interest sake. 

Yeah, I thought the escrow bit was interesting too, I wonder if we'll continue to see the players artificially raising the cap going forward. 

10 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Sorry, I can't feel sorry for Chris Pronger and his millionaire athlete friends.  Maybe half of them are broke in retirement because they never managed their money.

Me either, but simping for millionaires wasn't the point so much as digging into why players grab every dollar they can. Lot of folks I've run into see a 6x6 deal and assume the player gets most of it when that's not really the case.

Better paid players may have more flex to leave money on the  table, but those bottom to middling type players? Their careers are a more uncertain.

6 hours ago, HKSR said:

I'd argue Bo has really turned his game around.  Heck, he's a 30+ goal scoring centre now.  Not many of those around.

Ehh, his numbers are pretty on par with where he's been the last 4-5 years and were prior to this hot goal scoring streak. He was still on pace to hit 40-45 points which is the lower end of where he's been if I recall correctly. He's been good for 40-60 points the last seven seasons if you include this one.

His goal scoring had had an uptick though, no question.

He got a ridiculous amount of flack 2-3 months back and he's made a lot of people eat crow.

• Huggy Bear 1

5 minutes ago, King Loui said:

No, let's keep him and keep missing the playoffs....

Our owner stepped 8n and made the decision to re-sign Miller a couple weeks before the TDL.  The talk around Miller switched from him being traded to him being re-signed.  Friedman mentioned we were going to sign JT as a number one centre.  

So no worries, we will continue along the same path as Benning.  

10 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Yeah, I thought the escrow bit was interesting too, I wonder if we'll continue to see the players artificially raising the cap going forward. 

Me either, but simping for millionaires wasn't the point so much as digging into why players grab every dollar they can. Lot of folks I've run into see a 6x6 deal and assume the player gets most of it when that's not really the case.

Better paid players may have more flex to leave money on the  table, but those bottom to middling type players? Their careers are a more uncertain.

The cap is now going to increase per a so-called lag formula - was part of the changes introduced in the CBA approved ahead of the bubble.  This should avoid the cap being artificially too high and limit escrow going forward.  They've agreed on an escrow scale for the transition - the cap was artificially too high + they have to reimburse the escrow balance (over 1 billion) due to the pandemic.  Escrow started at 20%, was formula based this season, will drop to 10% next season and then down to 6% for the remaining length of the CBA.  It's only once the escrow balance is reimbursed that the lag formula will come into effect - till then the cap can't increase by more than 1M.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1