The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

We'll see how desparate the Rangers get if Carolina continues as expected...regardless I do not see Schneider or Lafreniere being offered in any trades for Miller.

Key Ranger assets: Kakko, Lundqvist, Kravstov, Othmann, Chytil, and draft picks.

I know they don't have a tonne to offer but the Leafs are likely the most desparate to acquire a playoff type player like Miller (playoffs next year will be key for them).

Key Leaf assets: Bunting, Engvall, Robertson (potential injury concerns), Niemela, Amirov, Knies, Steeves and draft picks

Ultimately, given the lack of game breakers in any Leafs trade (I wouldn't be interested in Nylander) any trade would be about quantity and the additional trades those assets would allow for.

To Van:                                                 To TO:

Bunting                                                 Miller

Kerfoot (cap space)

Niemela

Amirov

2022 1st

2023 2nd & 3rd

From there the Canucks could focus on some trades that would add more draft picks and free up cap space:

Canucks Army ideas:

Trade #15 to drop down (Mtl 29th, 33rd, and 5th round picks OR Arz 30th and 32nd picks)

Trade Leafs first round to drop down or move up

Trade Garland or Hoglander (love both but both are likely redundant)

I would like to see Hughes try the right side with OEL (I think it could extend OEL's playing career - don't think his contract is movable)

I think Myers contract is moveable (especially if the Canucks retain some salary) - I would like to see them push for d-replacements via trade this summer

2022/2023 transition lineup:

Bunting EP Boeser

Garland/Hoglander Bo Podz

Pearson Kerfoot xxx (Size/Grit??)

Highmore Lammikko Lockwood

OEL Hughes

xxx xxx

Rathbone Dermott

Demko

Martin

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, 5nothincanucksohno said:

We'll see how desparate the Rangers get if Carolina continues as expected...regardless I do not see Schneider or Lafreniere being offered in any trades for Miller.

Key Ranger assets: Kakko, Lundqvist, Kravstov, Othmann, Chytil, and draft picks.

I know they don't have a tonne to offer but the Leafs are likely the most desparate to acquire a playoff type player like Miller (playoffs next year will be key for them).

Key Leaf assets: Bunting, Engvall, Robertson (potential injury concerns), Niemela, Amirov, Knies, Steeves and draft picks

Ultimately, given the lack of game breakers in any Leafs trade (I wouldn't be interested in Nylander) any trade would be about quantity and the additional trades those assets would allow for.

Kerfoot (cap space)

Niemela

Amirov

2022 1st

2023 2nd & 3rd

From there the Canucks could focus on some trades that would add more draft picks and free up cap space:

Canucks Army ideas:

Trade #15 to drop down (Mtl 29th, 33rd, and 5th round picks OR Arz 30th and 32nd picks)

I would like to see Hughes try the right side with OEL (I think it could extend OEL's playing career - don't think his contract is movable)

I think Myers contract is moveable (especially if the Canucks retain some salary) - I would like to see them push for d-replacements via trade this summer

Bunting EP Boeser

OEL Hughes

xxx xxx

Rathbone Dermott

Demko

Martin

No thanks.  That’s a boatload of craperolla from the LOSER LEAFS. 

If we trade Miller I’m seeing it more a one guy coming back, and that guy has an elite ceiling.  So the LOSER LEAFS are out, because they have only scrubs.

The Rags could come in with several, but the team I’m watching is Florida.  Their forwards are playing soft, and I can see them wanting Miller.  And they have that Lundell kid.

Miller to FLA for Lundell.  That’s gonna be it!  

Spoiler

:towel:

29 minutes ago, 5nothincanucksohno said:

Kerfoot (cap space)

Niemela

Amirov

2022 1st

2023 2nd & 3rd

Canucks Army ideas:

Bunting EP Boeser

OEL Hughes

xxx xxx

Rathbone Dermott

Demko

Martin

There’s zero chance the Leafs are able to fit Miller’s next contract unless they unload one of the big three contracts. 

• Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, guntrix said:

There’s zero chance the Leafs are able to fit Miller’s next contract unless they unload one of the big three contracts. 

Besides, Miller plays with way too much passion for that bunch.

2 hours ago, Warhippy said:

When was the last time a 100 point player that could play C/RW or LW, killed penalties and was lethal on the PP while playing heavy was traded at a cost under $3 million?

Just....ask yourself that.

I get the idea of Miller being a diminished asset but any bubble team or contender would line up to lick the taint of the GM dangling that.

It's why I suggest New Jersey is a good home for him.  Based on NJs need for a veteran leader.  LA works.  Carolina.  Colorado.  New York.  Columbus.

All have the assets to give in spades for a player that would be cost controlled under $3 million for a year and have full bargaining rights or rights to trade towards the TDL or post season.

Remember, a $6 million Hall and a throw in body net Bahl, Merkely, Schnarr a 1st and conditional 3rd.  At that point Merkley was a well touted potential blue chip.  Bahl was a solid prospect.  Even Schnarr was touted as a decent bottom 6 potential centre.

I don't get the idea we have to add or retain on Miller at all to recoup a solid return, let alone line up for scraps.  A 50% retained Miller to any team on the bubble or in contention is something never traded in this league before in the modern era.  

it comes down to A LaF being a 1st oa. No one is moving a 1st oa + a bunch of goodies.

Now, there are almost certainly teams willing to give more than one player for Miller, its just how much do we want AL?

IF he's a potential top 10 1C, then a 1:1 deal would be fair value imo because we'd be getting his best years right when we need them.

Edited by JM_
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, JM_ said:

it comes down to A LaF being a 1st oa. No one is moving a 1st oa + a bunch of goodies.

Now, there are almost certainly teams willing to give more than one player for Miller, its just how much do we want AL?

IF he's a potential top 10 1C, then a 1:1 deal would be fair value imo because we'd be getting his best years right when we need them.

Mackinnon was a 1st OA who produced far better even in his first few years than AF

AF is a 29 pps average winger right now.  Taylor Hall far outpaced him as well.

Was he a 1st overall?  yes.  Is he playing like one?  No.  

Draft pedigree after year 2-3 is out the window.  I mean...Juolevi was a 5th OA.  Virtanen a 6th OA.  Get where I'm heading with this?

Miller is a 100 point player C/LW/RW that could be had for under $3 million for even one single season.  That has serious value and I'd argue far more than a former 1st OA who is producing under 30 points per season per average in his first 2 seasons.

I don't know what the equivalent would be but I'd imagine something like Podkolzin for Barkov/Huberdeau/Forsberg for $3 million for a season and the rights to re-sign

Edited by Warhippy
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

Mackinnon was a 1st OA who produced far better even in his first few years than AF

AF is a 29 pps average winger right now.  Taylor Hall far outpaced him as well.

Was he a 1st overall?  yes.  Is he playing like one?  No.  

Draft pedigree after year 2-3 is out the window.  I mean...Juolevi was a 5th OA.  Virtanen a 6th OA.  Get where I'm heading with this?

Miller is a 100 point player C/LW/RW that could be had for under $3 million for even one single season.  That has serious value and I'd argue far more than a former 1st OA who is producing under 30 points per season per average in his first 2 seasons

thats fair. And Alexi might be the wrong target because of the pedigree part. I just wonder if he'll be the target given our AGM was his agent and there's a good tie in there.

And a top 6 of him and Petey in their prime... could be deadly.

What if it was just 1:1 (Miller 50% retained)?

• Like 1

On 5/20/2022 at 6:26 PM, JM_ said:

Forbort would be a nice fit here, it would allow us to move Rathbone in part of a different trade package. 

Is Forbort worth the 3 mil tho?

Beat writer Fluto Shinzawa did a who stays who goes for The Athletic.  Forbort is on his "the not going anywhere" list so is Carlo.  

He has Matt Grzelcyk under "lets make a deal" list while saying that management doesn't want to move him but he would bring back the most in a trade.  Reilly also on that list.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, JM_ said:

thats fair. And Alexi might be the wrong target because of the pedigree part. I just wonder if he'll be the target given our AGM was his agent and there's a good tie in there.

miller at 50% retention for just Alexis Lafrenier would be 100% a loss for this org on what is arguably our most valuable asset post Bertuzzi trade.

We would not get a pick out of it

We would not get full cap relief from the trade

We would not secure another C to replace him

We would not obtain an RHD either

That would be an enormous loss in my opinion

Edited by Warhippy

3 hours ago, HKSR said:

Miller for Lafreniere 1-for-1 would be this generation's Nieuwendyk for Iginla.

True.  That would be a good comparison. 

That would be a good trade for us but I can't see the Rangers parting with Lafreniere. 

Lafreniere has performed well in the playoffs this year and he is only 20 years old.  I don't know why a young Rangers team would want to give up on him now.  I see Miller going to a team that is already a Stanley Cup contender (or at least a top 6 team).  I don't think the Rangers are quite there yet but they are close.

I know that we really need D prospects but a Lafreniere  trade for Miller would be too good to turn down (anytime you can add assets that can be kept or traded is a good thing).  We need to get additional young players that fit in with the age of our core.  

Edited by sockeye
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, sockeye said:

True.  That would be a good comparison. 

That would be a good trade for us but I can't see the Rangers parting with Lafreniere. 

Lafreniere has performed well in the playoffs this year and he is only 20 years old.  I don't know why a young Rangers team would want to give up on him now.  I see Miller going to a team that is already a Stanley Cup contender (or at least a top 6 team).  I don't think the Rangers are quite there yet but they are close.

I know that we really need D prospects but a Lafreniere  trade for Miller would be too good to turn down (anytime you can add assets that can be kept or traded is a good thing).  We need to get additional young players that fit in with the age of our core.  

And I see Miller remaining a Canuck.

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

No thanks.  That’s a boatload of craperolla from the LOSER LEAFS. 

If we trade Miller I’m seeing it more a one guy coming back, and that guy has an elite ceiling.  So the LOSER LEAFS are out, because they have only scrubs.

The Rags could come in with several, but the team I’m watching is Florida.  Their forwards are playing soft, and I can see them wanting Miller.  And they have that Lundell kid.

Miller to FLA for Lundell.  That’s gonna be it!  

Reveal hidden contents

:towel:

FLA could very well end up being one of those desparate teams needing a playoff performer. Would like to see Canucks pull a little more out of FLA but Lundell is solid 

• Cheers 1

NYR's can't afford to resign Miller after next season, so they would be trading for just one season and with no extension in place. Therefore they are not going to spend too much to get Miller.

I think Miller is more likely to stay in VAN or go somewhere where they can afford to extend him after next season, e.g. BOS, PIT, LA

• Like 1

1 hour ago, guntrix said:

Agreed as is - it would purely be a rental option for the Leafs or insurance if they need to move on from (AM, Nylander, etc.) after another playoff flop

1 minute ago, 5nothincanucksohno said:

FLA could very well end up being one of those desparate teams needing a playoff performer. Would like to see Canucks pull a little more out of FLA but Lundell is solid 

FLA are in cap hell, they can't afford Miller's salary

42 minutes ago, JM_ said:

If the Rags offered AF (ha ha) straight up for Miller I’d hope our owner would allow JR to make that deal.  Lafrenierre would fit in nicely with our young core.  

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

FLA are in cap hell, they can't afford Miller's salary

Are they in cap hell next year though?  Several guys, like Geroux are UFAs.  We take Lundell + Reinhart as a cap dumperoo?