The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

38 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Haha no kidding.  That deal everyone hates is starting to look like a miss now.  Too small a sample set I know but Chytil appears to be arriving.

Ya still too early...Chytl is looking great but he's on a streak...let's see how his career ends up over time....being on a heater can distort perception

• Cheers 1

57 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Kid's realizing his potential. Good for him but it looks like we missed that boat.

missed-the-boat-too-late.gif

Naw. We still have a very active and leader Miller. Nothing lost.

We also have Pettersson, Hughes, Horvat, Podkolzin and Demko.

Nothing lost at all.

Teams are allowed to have their own coming out prospect parties too you know…

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, NucknAsia said:

Ya still too early...Chytl is looking great but he's on a streak...let's see how his career ends up over time....being on a heater can distort perception

he was a first round pick though, not like this is out of nowhere, the potential was always there

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Haha no kidding.  That deal everyone hates is starting to look like a miss now.  Too small a sample set I know but Chytil appears to be arriving.

not everyone

• Cheers 3

On 5/31/2022 at 11:15 AM, Warhippy said:

How do you improve your team when you're up to the cap have no depth, have no assets and even with a near league topping run failed to squeak in to the playoffs?

We have a number of players we need to replace.  free agency isn't cheap.  We have glaring holes that need filling.  We don't have the picks or prospects to fill them.

So how do we improve?  IN fact, how do we improve to beat any of the following right now?

This is the reality.  Sorry mate, keeping Miller for the $8.5+ million he'll want is NOT viable.

I think Dickinson, Sutter and Poolman with get you 7 mill in cap space they don’t need to trade Miller.  And I don’t think Miller will get them what they really want. They really want a potential star, like what a #2 Overall pick could do but Miller won’t get that done, they would have to give up Horvat.  

38 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

I think Dickinson, Sutter and Poolman with get you 7 mill in cap space they don’t need to trade Miller.  And I don’t think Miller will get them what they really want. They really want a potential star, like what a #2 Overall pick could do but Miller won’t get that done, they would have to give up Horvat.  

You're not getting the #2 for Bo imo. You bring in Bo as a #2, you trade for Miller as a #1. Not only that but Bo is arguably worth more to the Canucks than what we could get via trade imo.

We don't have anyone in the system who can replicate his combination of production and faceoff prowess, and we lean on him hardddd for faceoffs. He was 6th in the league at faceoffs taken last season despite only playing 70 games. It's no coincidence we stumbled down the stretch without him.

Edited by Coconuts
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

40 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

They don't have to use #2 - they have prospects and other picks.  Fitzgerald thinks they have too much of the same up front - ie not all prospects are going to be part of the team.  Wants some straight line players and heavier skill to have a better mix of players.

5 years ago they made the playoffs with Hall winning the Hart and Hischier in his rookie season.  They missed the following year and one of their co-owners Harris or Blitzer noted that they have picks and prospects so there's no reason they can't improve their roster.  That off-season they went on to trade multiple picks for Gusev and Subban.

They haven't made the playoffs since.  It sounded like Fitzgerald bought himself some time - Shero was fired in January 2020 but got to wonder if there's not some pressure to get in.  It's 2 seasons that they've pretty much let things just be up front, and as talented as some of their players are, they seem to need some more external help to reach that next step + they don't have the players in house to change the "too much of the same" up front.

4 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

Nobody thought anyone would take Beagle and Schaler either.   We got at least 1 pick from those 2 

No picks came back in either of those trades.  Schaller was a cap dump in the Toffoli trade and Beagle in the OEL/Garland trade where Vancouver gave up 9th overall.  

• Vintage 2

On 5/31/2022 at 2:36 PM, rekker said:

I just never saw it in OJ, and a previous poster eluded to it as well. I just can't defend the pick.

I didn't like it at the time either - though we needed to improve our D and I generally trusted the drafting ability of Benning and Co.

I, like many, wanted MT. I felt we needed that aggressiveness if nothing else. Other than that, nobody stuck out to me to be the obvious pick for us. But OJ wasn't it.

• Cheers 1

13 hours ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

13 hours ago, aGENT said:

Kid's realizing his potential. Good for him but it looks like we missed that boat.

missed-the-boat-too-late.gif

Well maybe people can use this to understand trading depleting assets for prospects. Some people wants polished 30 goal prospects but that's unrealistic. These are the next generation of players who are going to be the 'next' Millers. There is always some element of unknown and that's why you're able to trade for them.

Oh well. The Chytil has left the building. Hopefully people aren't sleeping next time around.

• Cheers 2

Miller + Myers for Marino + Kapanen + Blueger?

Podkolzin Pete Boeser

Pearson Horvat Garland

Hoglander Blueger Kapanen 

Dickenson Lamikko Highmore

Chiasson (re-sign him), Lockwood

Hughes Marino

OEL Schenn

Dermott Poolman

Rathbone, Burroughs (or sign Stecher back)

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, AK_19 said:

Miller + Myers for Marino + Kapanen + Blueger?

Podkolzin Pete Boeser

Pearson Horvat Garland

Hoglander Blueger Kapanen 

Dickenson Lamikko Highmore

Chiasson (re-sign him), Lockwood

Hughes Marino

OEL Schenn

Dermott Poolman

Rathbone, Burroughs (or sign Stecher back)

Miller + Myers ($1m retained) for Marino, Kapenen, Blomqvist, Poulin and their 1st.

Then sign Lyubushkin

Hughes, Marino

OEL, Lyubushkin

Rathbone, Schenn

Dermott, Burroughs (Poolman in IR)

Just now, aGENT said:

Miller + Myers ($1m retained) for Marino, Kapenen, Blomqvist, Poulin and their 1st.

Then sign Lyubushkin

Hughes, Marino

OEL, Lyubushkin

Rathbone, Schenn

Dermott, Burroughs (Poolman in IR)

It's certainly a better trade for us (compared to my proposal) but I just don't think the Pens are going to give up that much. Marino hold a lot of value because of his position and great contract. I hope you're right though.

• Cheers 1