The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

12 minutes ago, stawns said:

Correct, I miscounted the seasons on cap friendly.  I have no issues with OEL as he's smart and smooth.......guys that play his style, such as lidstrom, never really drop off much and are effective players right to retirement 

Fully agree. He just needs a more steady, d first righty with him. OEL is capable of way more with a reliable partner. Like a Methot type. 

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Almost every argument against the “declining asset” theory is playing in the Stanley Cup Final representing the Eastern Conference.… and they’ve won the cup the past 2 years consecutively.

RM just turned 33 and is on a $6.75m caphit, let's see how that look in 2-3 years...........Miller will be far higher than that

1 minute ago, rekker said:

Fully agree. He just needs a more steady, d first righty with him. OEL is capable of way more with a reliable partner. Like a Methot type. 

he was a surprisingly good defensive dman, better than I thought he was going to be.  That said, I'd like to see them add another defensive dman who can take some of that responsibility off his plate.  I also think he should be the ppqb and free up QH as a rover type

1 minute ago, stawns said:

RM just turned 33 and is on a $6.75m caphit, let's see how that look in 2-3 years...........Miller will be far higher than that

Miller is 30 and going into his prime.

He is the biggest leader on this team, and a high points producing forward. 
If he stays, his contribution now pays dividends back to the team with the leadership (Captaincy Like) and style of play he has installed to the younger players advancing with him now.

His points totals may drop in 3 years, but not drastically, .  

a point in hockey is a point shared 3 ways..

the players whose play style he is mentoring to produce now, will continue to put points back on his stick..

At the same time his leadership style still exists to ignite this team, night in and out.

The 8 - 9 m he probably gets is easily worth the total package this player is,  and right now, with Boudreau , he will getter better yet.

Let's say that we keep Miller and make a move for a RHD.  Are we saying that ALL of our young players and prospects are going to keep taking big steps forward?  BB's affect on the team will not diminish at any point?

Anything could happen of course but I'm still waiting for Jensen-Hodgson-Schroeder to become the best line in the league!  Grabner should become Marion Gaborik 2.0 for us any day now as well!

1 minute ago, SilentSam said:

If he stays, his contribution now pays dividends back to the team with the leadership (Captaincy Like) and style of play he has installed to the younger players advancing with him now.

the players whose play style he is mentoring to produce now, will continue to put points back on his stick..

At the same time his leadership style still exists to ignite this team, night in and out.

The 8 - 9 m he probably gets is easily worth the total package this player is,  and right now, with Boudreau , he will getter better yet.

So there's no chance that last year was his career year?

2 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

You can stamp your feet all you want, but it's looking more and more like a sure thing that you'd be watching him do it for another team.  

5 hours ago, spook007 said:

It's not a question of, whether Rutherford likes Petey or not. Its a question of, where Petey sees the future of the franchise...

The team may very well push through, get better and becomes relevant, Rutherford will be hailed as the best ever, and rightfully so, but....

if the team stalls for a few years, the question is, does Petey see himself winning here or not? Its a valid question bearing in mind the statement he put out himself...

Nobody but Petey really knows, what goes on between his ears, so we'll just have to wait and see...

Regardless of this, I don't think we should break the bank for JTM...

I think he was saying Petey is a smart and a genuine person who will make a smart decision when the time comes. We have to trust that the team will have enough direction and traction that Petey will want to stay at that point without one singular player being the deciding factor.

Having said that and in relation to your statement on not breaking the bank it almost feels like we're being held hostage to a JT signing in some respects that way. We can't compete without him, we don't have any leadership without him, Petey won't stay without him, etc. It doesn't feel like the right move if we're being forced into signing him. There must be other ways achieve the goal of a winning hockey team.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Gawdzukes said:

I think he was saying Petey is a smart and a genuine person who will make a smart decision when the time comes. We have to trust that the team will have enough direction and traction that Petey will want to stay at that point without one singular player being the deciding factor.

Having said that and in relation to your statement on not breaking the bank it almost feels like we're being held hostage to a JT signing in some respects that way. We can't compete without him, we don't have any leadership without him, Petey won't stay without him, etc. It doesn't feel like the right move if we're being forced into signing him. There must be other ways achieve the goal of a winning hockey team.

The mythologizing of Miller on this board is ridiculous

• Vintage 4

1 minute ago, Baratheon said:

Let's say that we keep Miller and make a move for a RHD.  Are we saying that ALL of our young players and prospects are going to keep taking big steps forward?  BB's affect on the team will not diminish at any point?

Anything could happen of course but I'm still waiting for Jensen-Hodgson-Schroeder to become the best line in the league!  Grabner should become Marion Gaborik 2.0 for us any day now as well!

Big year for Pettersson to take the reins. The time is now.

Miller is too old (no offence) and will want too much money. Why would the Canucks handcuff themselves like that again for the hundredth time? Hopefully they learned from the LE lesson.

If they rebuild that D, and with Demko in net and steps taken by Pettersson, Boeser and Podkolzin, it'll still be exciting Canucks hockey with a bright future. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2

51 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Not buying that list for guys who have almost single handedly put this team on their back vocally and physically spearheading leading by example of play..

id say those on your list are more grateful for Millers leadership and will be highly effected by his loss.

Id say those on your list have responded to Millers actions, and have played better for it.

It will be a mudslide in Vancouver if he leaves, or is traded.

Two words that I can use to define JT Miller, ..   Nucleus and Catalyst .

There would be a mudslide if we weren’t able to agree to signing him it was a distraction talking point all season and TDL and if we were in playoff picture you can’t trade him and we’d lose him to UFA.

Trading him for a huge haul now would not result in a mudslide. If we mess up the trade and got something mediocre there would be.

but if we turned down lundqvist chytil and a 1st I have confidence we are only trading him if we get a grade A package or have a younger player / asset with superstar potential. 

I trust our new management crew. It’s looking rock solid and motivated.

Edited by R3aL
  • Cheers 3

48 minutes ago, stawns said:

well OEL is only signed until he's 34, so we're good!

OEL with be nearly 36 when his contract is up and has a full NMC. I hope OEL can get back to a 40pt minimum D for us for most of his contract. I really think they should use OEL and Hughes on the 1st PP unit also. Hughes is a playmaker and distributor, OEL can score more goals with having a better shot. Will we deploy them together next year on the PP though, I doubt it. 

Sucks paying a 7m plus D man for maybe 30pts, only way makes me feel better is if we can trade Myers and get a cheaper RHD to free up some cap space. Hopefully if we trade JT/Boeser/Garland we get an NHL ready RHD back in return that can play top 4 right away or real soon

JT Miller

Jack Rathbone

15 OA

for

Brandt Clarke

Alex Turcotte

Helge Grans

19 OA

Draft Lian Bichsel at #19 if available.

A bunch of magic beans, but potentially a huge overhaul to the D-corps.

Edited by nergish
  • Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, R3aL said:

There would be a mudslide if we weren’t able to agree to signing him it was a distraction talking point all season and TDL and if we were in playoff picture you can’t trade him and we’d lose him to UFA.

Trading him for a huge haul now would not result in a mudslide. If we mess up the trade and got something mediocre there would be.

but if we turned down lundqvist chytil and a 1st I have confidence we are only trading him if we get a grade A package or have a younger player / asset with superstar potential. 

I trust our new management crew. It’s looking rock solid and motivated.

I agree that if Miller is traded, but the assets aren't grade A assets coming back, then yes, it would set us back. At that point, you have to wonder if the rest of the core actually wants to stay here in Vancouver for another rebuild. I can't see Bo wanting that. Can't see Petey wanting that, or Demko, or Hughes. They want to win, and a rebuild isn't that. So management has to "retool" the current roster, and make them as competitive as possible and win as many games as possible, including the playoffs. 

How are they going to do that, if they resign Miller? That's not looking to medium to long term needs of the franchise. That's looking at short term only. And management needs to be looking not just at short term, but medium to long term plans as well. It's a hard gig, and Rutherford and Allvin have their work cut out for them. 

It'll be an interesting summer, and it'll be interesting how closely they communicate to their players, unlike Benning and his crew. When Benning was responsible here, it didn't seem like he communicated to his players very well, so nobody knew what was going on. Hoping that's different with Allvin and Rutherford at the helm here now. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

OEL with be nearly 36 when his contract is up and has a full NMC. I hope OEL can get back to a 40pt minimum D for us for most of his contract. I really think they should use OEL and Hughes on the 1st PP unit also. Hughes is a playmaker and distributor, OEL can score more goals with having a better shot. Will we deploy them together next year on the PP though, I doubt it. 

Sucks paying a 7m plus D man for maybe 30pts, only way makes me feel better is if we can trade Myers and get a cheaper RHD to free up some cap space. Hopefully if we trade JT/Boeser/Garland we get an NHL ready RHD back in return that can play top 4 right away or real soon

Honestly I liked our PP better with OEL on it as opposed to Hughes.  

PP1 is always out there for more then a minute and PP2 ends up getting 20 seconds.  As long as OEL is on PP2, he won't be hitting 40 points which is okay.  He is our top shutdown d-man and eats up minutes and helps his partner out.  I love the way OEL plays, he's the least of my worries even at 7.25 mil/year. 

2 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I agree that if Miller is traded, but the assets aren't grade A assets coming back, then yes, it would set us back. At that point, you have to wonder if the rest of the core actually wants to stay here in Vancouver for another rebuild. I can't see Bo wanting that. Can't see Petey wanting that, or Demko, or Hughes. They want to win, and a rebuild isn't that. So management has to "retool" the current roster, and make them as competitive as possible and win as many games as possible, including the playoffs. 

How are they going to do that, if they resign Miller? That's not looking to medium to long term needs of the franchise. That's looking at short term only. And management needs to be looking not just at short term, but medium to long term plans as well. It's a hard gig, and Rutherford and Allvin have their work cut out for them. 

It'll be an interesting summer, and it'll be interesting how closely they communicate to their players, unlike Benning and his crew. When Benning was responsible here, it didn't seem like he communicated to his players very well, so nobody knew what was going on. Hoping that's different with Allvin and Rutherford at the helm here now. 

the issue I have with the sign Miller crowd is that they completely ignore that fact that JT may very well, even likely, doesn't want to continue his career in Van.  In which case, you get what you can for him, so the return might not really be in control of the management team.  They may have to be happy with whatever they can get.

Not moving him at the deadline was a mistake

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, stawns said:

Correct, I miscounted the seasons on cap friendly.  I have no issues with OEL as he's smart and smooth.......guys that play his style, such as lidstrom, never really drop off much and are effective players right to retirement 

I agree to disagree with his contract & play to age badly.

IF we move Miller, I'm hoping it's a bit more "hockey trade-ish", seeing as nobody seems willing to give up their A+ entry level guys. A top 4 RD in their mid 20's would go a long ways towards fixing our blueline for the foreseeable future. Even moreso if we move a winger like Boes or Garland for one as well.

Hughes- Carlo

OEL- Marino

That's a pretty goddamn solid looking top 4, and our blueline would be set for years 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, 48MPHSlapShot said:

IF we move Miller, I'm hoping it's a bit more "hockey trade-ish", seeing as nobody seems willing to give up their A+ entry level guys. A top 4 RD in their mid 20's would go a long ways towards fixing our blueline for the foreseeable future. Even moreso if we move a winger like Boes or Garland for one as well.

Hughes- Carlo

OEL- Marino

That's a pretty goddamn solid looking top 4, and our blueline would be set for years 

I think it's definitley a hockey trade, though they should be targetting players on the younger side of that hockey trade idea.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, nergish said:

JT Miller

Jack Rathbone

15 OA

for

Brandt Clarke

Alex Turcotte

Helge Grans

19 OA

Draft Lian Bichsel at #19 if available.

A bunch of magic beans, but potentially a huge overhaul to the D-corps.

This term always makes me laugh!  Has anyone actually read Jack and The Beanstalk?  Those beans grow in to the largest plant of all time and lead him to a hen that lays golden eggs!

Take the beans!!

• Haha 3