The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

The Pens are in the dreadful position of not looking like a contender, but not ready to rebuild.  This makes them a

great trading partner in that sense.  Unfortunately, they don't have any great assets and their 1st round pick is in

the late teens.

Marino is a bit of an unknown around here.  I found this article that states that he is a defensive dman with offensive

upside.  He has size, plays +20mins a game and is a great PKer.  Sounds ideal for the Canucks.

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/john-marino-canucks-trade-target

The rest of the package isn't bad with Kapanen or Bluger + Poulin.  I don't know if Pitts adds the 1st.

Miller for Marino + Kapanen or Bluger(my preferance) + Poulin would be a decent trade; especially

if they add the 1st.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I can see Malkin going back to Russia. Motherland. 

Even if you’re Russian, would you want to go back given the turmoil right now? Yeah he is rich but there are a lot desperate people out there who are barely surviving and Putin doesn’t care about them or these sanctions. Easy mark for robbery, extortion, etc. 

I wouldn’t want to be seen in public if I was Malkin or his family….

18 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

It just goes to show how most of our fanbase is Vancouver exclusive when it comes to the game of hockey. Very little understanding of how the rest of the league operates. Not sure how many guys need to be currently in the league and playing top tier game all approaching or in mid 30's for them to understand.

I would still move Miller with that said because I'm not interested in reading all the complaints for the next 8 years 

There's that...but I also get the vibe that if Miller's return isn't outstanding, there will be some unbearable whining to read

through. 

20 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

He has more sources than us yes, But admitted many times its agents.

Agents leak things to build interest in their clients, if he leaks it that means our franchise is not the ones that's showed interest. It's the other way around 

Don't you have some mackerel or trout on a hockey stick to go sell in the parking lot of the LC bud? 

17 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Miller got a 7 year deal (the max he can get right?) from a team in the league. 

But one year at 99 points doesn't produce a career. And for most of his career, he hasn't been producing that, and now he's at this cross roads in his career where he's 30, and he's had a few good seasons. I can't imagine Miller at 36, producing 30-40 points for 9M. 

Can probably kiss a few of the younger players who will be needing new deals, good bye at that point. 

I think other gms are thinking the same.  He is a very good player in many ways, so he definitely adds a lot of

value to any team, especially a contender.  Most of those teams will only want him for this season; unless they

have insurance that he will sign a reasonable contract in the off season.

I suspect that the Canucks will sign him if it looks like he will go for a contract that they can afford.  $7.5m x 7yrs.

If he is in that range (or a bit higher-certainly not $9m), a team on an upward trend towards contending might

want to re-sign him. 

Is there anyone that thinks JT will get $9m x 7 yrs?  Seems ridiculous to me.

• Vintage 1

20 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

The Pens are in the dreadful position of not looking like a contender, but not ready to rebuild.  This makes them a

great trading partner in that sense.  Unfortunately, they don't have any great assets and their 1st round pick is in

the late teens.

Marino is a bit of an unknown around here.  I found this article that states that he is a defensive dman with offensive

upside.  He has size, plays +20mins a game and is a great PKer.  Sounds ideal for the Canucks.

The rest of the package isn't bad with Kapanen or Bluger + Poulin.  I don't know if Pitts adds the 1st.

Miller for Marino + Kapanen or Bluger(my preferance) + Poulin would be a decent trade; especially

if they add the 1st.

JR has stated several times we have a key three: Demko, Petey, Hughes.  Does JR believe those three are elite enough (or will become elite enough) to be the core of a Cup winner, or does he think we need to add another key core piece?  If he thinks those guys can lead a group to the Cup then Miller returning Marino, Krapanen, and picks is exactly the type of return we will see.  If JR thinks we need another key core piece then we will see more of a Miller for one (potentially) key piece.  

• Vintage 1

13 minutes ago, Provost said:

They don't JUST want picks... picks are also welcome :)

If Pittsburgh wants to push a rebuild for a couple years... then we have the pieces for them!

They can get Miller with 50% retained for an unprotected 2023 1st rounder and Marino+Poulin... and we get to give them Myers to replace a departing Letang as a bonus for them!  We can take Kapanen back if that is needed to make the money work.

We can then use our Pittsburgh connections to sign Malkin for a team friendly 2 year deal  as a bridge until we have some more prospects ready :)

Petterson-Malkin-Podkolzin  ... there is a nice top line with a veteran Russian to mentor Podkolzin and Kuzmenko!

Yeah, @DeNiro JR mentioned it several times that they also wanted to acquire picks but their main focus was on younger players closer to playing. I think this team absolutely needs it's first rounders and hopefully a couple more top picks in the next 2-3 years to produce some additional ELC players.

It seems JR and Allvin have recognized they need to do this in order to sustain competitiveness in an ongoing basis moving forward. I feel this is an incredibly important part of the process for the plan JT and Allvin have laid out. An additional first rounder at minimum and hopefully another first or second would be incredibly important as a means of augmenting the core and our prospect pool moving forward. We need those high picks in our system sooner than later.

After all the Sedin's need someone to work with. Not really the focus but that's all part of having this great new development plan set up. Gorilla Glue # 4 ... good stuff lol :emot-parrot:

:towel:

• Cheers 2

13 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

I think other gms are thinking the same.  He is a very good player in many ways, so he definitely adds a lot of

value to any team, especially a contender.  Most of those teams will only want him for this season; unless they

have insurance that he will sign a reasonable contract in the off season.

I suspect that the Canucks will sign him if it looks like he will go for a contract that they can afford.  $7.5m x 7yrs.

If he is in that range (or a bit higher-certainly not $9m), a team on an upward trend towards contending might

want to re-sign him. 

Is there anyone that thinks JT will get $9m x 7 yrs?  Seems ridiculous to me.

Well, we are entering soon into the most ridiculous time of the year. Free Agency. So who knows what will happen. 

Between the draft and free agency, there are some GM's who will do some really crazy things. We've seen this in Benning, but there are others. 

13 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yeah, @DeNiro JR mentioned it several times that they also wanted to acquire picks but their main focus was on younger players closer to playing. I think this team absolutely needs it's first rounders and hopefully a couple more top picks in the next 2-3 years to produce some additional ELC players.

It seems JR and Allvin have recognized they need to do this in order to sustain competitiveness in an ongoing basis moving forward. I feel this is an incredibly important part of the process for the plan JT and Allvin have laid out. An additional first rounder at minimum and hopefully another first or second would be incredibly important as a means of augmenting the core and our prospect pool moving forward. We need those high picks in our system sooner than later.

After all the Sedin's need someone to work with. Not really the focus but that's all part of having this great new development plan set up. Gorilla Glue # 4 ... good stuff lol :emot-parrot:

:towel:

2 1sts in 22, 23, & 24 would give the Sedins great job security. :bigblush:

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

JR has stated several times we have a key three: Demko, Petey, Hughes.  Does JR believe those three are elite enough (or will become elite enough) to be the core of a Cup winner, or does he think we need to add another key core piece?  If he thinks those guys can lead a group to the Cup then Miller returning Marino, Krapanen, and picks is exactly the type of return we will see.  If JR thinks we need another key core piece then we will see more of a Miller for one (potentially) key piece.  

If the management don't already know whether those 3 players will be elite enough to win a SC, they sure are running

out of time.  For a team that never falls to a pick less than top 5, the team has done well by those 3.  But it is true, most

teams that win the C have an elite core of top 3 picks.  Offhand, I can only think of the Blues that have broken that

pattern.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, higgyfan said:

the late teens.

if they add the 1st.

Need the 1st imo. It's a step up from the #26-31 Pitt usually has. Would immediately make if 4 legit prospects in what is a barren prospect pool besides Klimovich ... who is honestly kind of a longshot. Boner should make the club next year.

Rathbone

#15 (Yurov, Mintyukov, Kasper, Kulich, Miroshnichenko, Gauthier, Ohgren)

#21 (Nazar, Bischel, Mateychuk, Chesley, Seamus, Geekie, Howard, Lambert)

Klimovich

Edited by Gawdzukes

6 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Well, we are entering soon into the most ridiculous time of the year. Free Agency. So who knows what will happen. 

Between the draft and free agency, there are some GM's who will do some really crazy things. We've seen this in Benning, but there are others. 

Fingers crossed, N4AZZY!

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

If the management don't already know whether those 3 players will be elite enough to win a SC, they sure are running

out of time.  For a team that never falls to a pick less than top 5, the team has done well by those 3.  But it is true, most

teams that win the C have an elite core of top 3 picks.  Offhand, I can only think of the Blues that have broken that

pattern.

Yup.  And who could we get for Miller that has a ceiling of a key core piece?  Maybe we trade Miller to move up in this draft?  

The rumours I’m hearing is, boeser and miller camp are no where close to the numbers Alvin and Ruthford want.  both will be traded and they want cap to take run at there players in free agency like copp mikeyvev Kadri. So from that i think were looking at picks and young players coming back.

Miller To New Jersey 2nd overall Zacha

Boeser Dermott to islanders mayfield Wilde 2022 2nd 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Yup.  And who could we get for Miller that has a ceiling of a key core piece?  Maybe we trade Miller to move up in this draft?  

I think the only way that can be done is a one - for one trade ie Miller for Brandt.

I can't see a rebuilding team that has a top 5 pick wanting to move it.

1 minute ago, Scottydzik said:

The rumours I’m hearing is, boeser and miller camp are no where close to the numbers Alvin and Ruthford want.  both will be traded and they want cap to take run at there players in free agency like copp mikeyvev Kadri. So from that i think were looking at picks and young players coming back.

JR/Allvin are able to get that return for Miller and Boeser then CDC will EXPLODE!  :towel:

3 minutes ago, Scottydzik said:

where are you hearing this?