The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

1 hour ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Very tempting. You have to wonder if kakko is just mentally done with nyr. He makes it seem like they communicate poorly with him. This is the type of high ceiling I swing for honestly. I'll take this deal also if NJ doesn't want to do #2.

I do see a problem if all these guys become good. We would end up being in a rough cycle with alot of high end rfa needing deals all at the same time. But it is what it is. Pay to play lol

You could be right about Kakko.  I've heard that he's struggled with some timely injuries as well.  Still...a 21yr old 2oa is

an enticing deal.

Having too many high end rfas is easy to fix.  Just trade one of them to unload a cap dump, acquire pic/prospect and/or

add some toughness to the team.

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

I take that deal every time, I get that people are amped about Miller's value to this team or another, but a lot of folks seem to underestimate what a top 3 pick is worth.

trade miller for pick #2

Trade pick #2 to Columbus for picks 6, 12 and their earliest 2nd or a prospect

Trade pick 15 to Arizona for their last 1st and 1st 2nd.

Pick

6, 12, 29, 34

BAYUM

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Brother I think you have me confused. I will admit my quick responses well at work are probably the cause.

I'll go over my thoughts again briefly. I think a package of Lundkvist + chytil + a late 1st or late 2nd is no different than us packaging Rathbone + Dickinson + a 1st or 2nd. Would that get us a player like Miller? Not a flipping chance. So to me being okay with that level of return doesn't justify removing him from the team.

Yes he could get injured, yes it could be risky, yes it's not the best idea ever but in the very unlikely chance that is one of the best offers they are willing to do.. I don't take it. I take my chances and run with him till the TDL and let the bidding war commence. I get what you mean by this being maybe more of a stock market style play... But my thoughts are if you show the league and all the players you are willing to get walked all over by another team and take a massive hit talent wise.. it's going to be way worse long term than the very slight chance he ends up walking for free as a UFA. 

I'm not taking crap players like those guys or the likes of zachas ect. We NEED potential stars to come back. They need to have a high ceiling. 

We all should know by now he probably gets moved this off season, probably at the draft and we get a better haul than Fiala. I fully admit I may be wrong but this is how I attack the Miller situation 

And what if there is no bidding war or the offers at that time still are not good enough? 

4 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

trade miller for pick #2

Pick

6, 12, 29, 34

BAYUM

Great in theory, it'd be fun to see. I wouldn't mind those first two bits but I'd rather hold on to 15. Three 1st's in the top 15 could be great. 

That be said, just using #2 is appealing too. You'll get what's arguably a 1OA talent because there doesn't seem to be a consensus guy anymore. 

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Great in theory, it'd be fun to see. I wouldn't mind those first two bits but I'd rather hold on to 15. Three 1st's in the top 15 could be great. 

That be said, just using #2 is appealing too. You'll get what's arguably a 1OA talent because there doesn't seem to be a consensus guy anymore. 

I still think Wright goes first next week. Slukafsky (spelling?) goes second. And then everyone else. If we could swing a deal to get in the top five that would be awesome. 

10 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

trade miller for pick #2

Pick

6, 12, 29, 34

BAYUM

Hah. If only making deals were as easy as typing them out on a forum. 

1 minute ago, N4ZZY said:

I still think Wright goes first next week. Slukafsky (spelling?) goes second. And then everyone else. If we could swing a deal to get in the top five that would be awesome. 

I think so too, but I could see him going 2nd just as easily 

Top 5 pick could go a long way going forward, I've liked our 1st round picks of late so I think we'd get it right

14 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

trade miller for pick #2

Pick

6, 12, 29, 34

BAYUM

Screenshot_20220630-190120_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Haha 2
  • Vintage 1

4 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

And what if there is no bidding war or the offers at that time still are not good enough? 

Haha, we can play the what if game all you want. You can apply endless amounts of what if questions to literally anything. 

It really doesn't matter though as he is probably being traded at the draft anyways. 

Why do players with 1 year left remain on their current team and traded that same TDL? This is not some brand new idea

1 hour ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Haha, we can play the what if game all you want. You can apply endless amounts of what if questions to literally anything. 

It really doesn't matter though as he is probably being traded at the draft anyways. 

Why do players with 1 year left remain on their current team and traded that same TDL? This is not some brand new idea

I guess I’m saying that it’s a possibility, and the risk would be even that much greater. If Miller’s not traded by the trade deadline, there’s a great chance that the team loses him for absolutely nothing. That can’t happen. Having such a great asset and be able to flip him for current/future help, but then lose him for nothing? 

shocked the princess bride GIF

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

5 hours ago, Outsiders said:

And I'd drive him to the airport!

Kakko, Schneider and a 2022 2nd? 

I mean, Schneider would be the principle player in that deal. Kakko…eh, I dunno, he could turn out to be a good player, or a bust. 

• Vintage 1

23 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I guess I’m saying that it’s a possibility, and the risk would be even that much greater. If Miller’s not traded by the trade deadline, there’s a great chance that the team loses him for absolutely nothing. That can’t happen. Having such a great asset and be able to flip him for current/future help, but then lose him for nothing? 

shocked the princess bride GIF

The other downside to trading him for any package involving one or more picks later on is that we'll be waiting on drafting and development time

If we move Miller prior to this draft we'd be an entire season ahead in any prospect's development 

3 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Kakko, Schneider and a 2022 2nd? 

I mean, Schneider would be the principle player in that deal. Kakko…eh, I dunno, he could turn out to be a good player, or a bust. 

Maybe it’s just me but the player I would be most excited about coming back from a deal like that is Kakko.

Only 21, kid still has potential for a lot of upside. A change of scenery might be what he needs along with a coach like BB.

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Brother I think you have me confused. I will admit my quick responses well at work are probably the cause.

I'll go over my thoughts again briefly. I think a package of Lundkvist + chytil + a late 1st or late 2nd is no different than us packaging Rathbone + Dickinson + a 1st or 2nd. Would that get us a player like Miller? Not a flipping chance. So to me being okay with that level of return doesn't justify removing him from the team.

Yes he could get injured, yes it could be risky, yes it's not the best idea ever but in the very unlikely chance that is one of the best offers they are willing to do.. I don't take it. I take my chances and run with him till the TDL and let the bidding war commence. I get what you mean by this being maybe more of a stock market style play... But my thoughts are if you show the league and all the players you are willing to get walked all over by another team and take a massive hit talent wise.. it's going to be way worse long term than the very slight chance he ends up walking for free as a UFA. 

I'm not taking crap players like those guys or the likes of zachas ect. We NEED potential stars to come back. They need to have a high ceiling. 

We all should know by now he probably gets moved this off season, probably at the draft and we get a better haul than Fiala. I fully admit I may be wrong but this is how I attack the Miller situation 

Taking the what-ifs out of the scenario, the most likely way this would unfold is Miller would have a great year and we would be in a playoff position.

The team should be good enough this year with Miller on it to be one of the teams playoff bound and 'anything could happen' (ie: not a legit contender).

It would be awesome to have Miller doing great with us again this year.

I even like the idea because I like him so much - it just comes to a crashing trainwreck at TDL. 

Either scenario of trading him or keeping him at that point are a disaster. Trade him for a great return, but you've undermined the ability to perform in the playoffs (if they still make it) after the players have been gunning for it all season. Keep him and now he has all the leverage for a huge deal and/or just lose him for nothing.

Whether it's keeping him or trading him, I think we need to pull off the bandaid now.

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1