The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

29 minutes ago, ForzaTikare said:

This is THE last Trade rumor (mock trade) ive seen involving Miller.. what do we think of this package? 

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/236806/filip-chytil

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/364649/zac-jones

Screenshot_2022-01-27-18-01-36-128_com.google.android.youtube.jpg

Not even close.   Chytil is good.  The late first is a lottery ticket.   The Canucks have no need for a undersized 5’11” 185lb defenceman.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, mll said:

Larry Brooks in the New York Post:

https://nypost.com/2022/01/26/rangers-in-contract-talks-with-ryan-strome-option-they-wont-pick/

2. Again, the Rangers’ preference is to sign Strome, but J.T. Miller could lurk as a potential replacement. We are told that Vancouver GM Jim Rutherford’s asking price for the one-time Ranger is astronomical at this point, but the ask is surely to drop as the deadline approaches if the Canucks — five points out of a playoff spot with five teams to pass while at a games-played disadvantage — entirely drop out of the race.

Is Miller a replica of Strome? Not even close. But with another year remaining on his deal at a $5.25 million cap hit, Miller could play right wing with either Zibanejad or Strome down the stretch this season before sliding into the middle next year if the need arises.

Perhaps the Rangers, whose interest in Miller has been previously reported in this space, could get the Canucks to eat 50 percent of the contract for a sweeter return. That would allow the team to have Miller with Strome next season if No. 16 does sign an extension.

I'm what world is miller not even close to strome?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

They must mean it the other way but wording is definitely weird. The two aren’t close JT Miller is better in every aspect of the game!

Strome wouldn’t have any better success elsewhere. His totals are a reflection of his environment. He’s more of a second line player 

1 hour ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I don't think anybody has said he "wants out". More like... inclined to go to market as UFA, more likely to extend on a contender, more likely to extend on a US team, more likely to go to a lower tax (US team) etc 

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

Just now, aGENT said:

I don't think anybody has said he "wants out". More like... inclined to go to market as UFA, more likely to extend on a contender, more likely to extend on a US team, more likely to go to a lower tax (US team) etc 

Yeah, it's such a silly report. Of course he isn't wanting out, but he's open to it and understands the process. But it's not like he's asking for a trade or anything. Nothing to see here. 

I still think he's going to the Rangers. 

• Cheers 1

Now that we have a Swedish GM there is probably no way Petey gets moved. Hopefully he becomes a top line center. Hopefully this year is an anomaly . There is no way Miller has asked to be traded. 

What we do know and JR confirmed it is that they need cap space. Thank you Jimbo. Plus we need more players. The team is not deep enough. If they think that this club is a few years away then we might see more moves then some thought. 

They also like speed. Sorry Boeser but you will also get moved. 

30 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Yeah, it's such a silly report. Of course he isn't wanting out, but he's open to it and understands the process. But it's not like he's asking for a trade or anything. Nothing to see here. 

I still think he's going to the Rangers. 

Exactly. Guy getting close to 30 wants to compete NOW for cup and get PAID on his likely final deal. Those things aren't likely to happen here. Doesn't mean he "wants to move".

• Upvote 1

Just now, aGENT said:

Exactly. Guy getting close to 30 wants to compete NOW for cup and get PAID on his likely final deal. Those things aren't likely to happen here. Doesn't mean he "wants to move".

Fans also need to be reminded that it's not that we "want" to move him, but that we likely have to. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 3

3 minutes ago, aGENT said:

OH MY GORDIE YES. It's not that we "hate Miller" or don't understand what he brings, or even (directly) that he's almost 30 etc. It's just being pragmatic about where the team is, and where Miller is in relation. It's situational, not personal.

Post of the day. It's simply business and where the team is in it's development. It could possibly be the trade that gets this team over the hump in two, three years time. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Jester13 said:

Do I get an assist? hehe

Lol. Funny you should say that. I'm not the most tech savy guy. I don't know how to copy and paste a double post like Agent had, with you on it. But wanted to, lol. I will give you the first assist on a clear breakaway pass. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, rekker said:

Lol. Funny you should say that. I'm not the most tech savy guy. I don't know how to copy and paste a double post like Agent had, with you on it. But wanted to, lol. I will give you the first assist on a clear breakaway pass. 

Napoleon Dynamite Reaction GIF

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

OH MY GORDIE YES. It's not that we "hate Miller" or don't understand what he brings, or even (directly) that he's almost 30 etc. It's just being pragmatic about where the team is, and where Miller is in relation. It's situational, not personal.

Yes exactly. No doubt he's the best forward on the team this year, but his age puts him in a different place then the rest of the core group (Hughes, Demko and Peaty). 

Honestly if Miller was like 3 years younger and playing like this, I'd go as so far to say build the whole team around the guy. It is just unfortunate timing, but has still been great to have him and hopefully management makes a smart move and gets great value for him while we can. 

• Vintage 1

3 hours ago, aGENT said:

Over the last few months of advocating for him to be moved I honestly can't recall seeing anyone argue that he "wants out". I've seen skepticism regarding his interest in playing in Canada long term, and folks speculating that he'd probably rather play in the US, but nothing about him wanting out. 

• Cheers 1