The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

9 minutes ago, hammertime said:

this made me laugh heartily this am.

image.png.dc22f3bf0192abc8cdfbba5335948eea.png

well this is what PA wants, he has said it many times and this is what "my insider" told me and you know I share this with you all at the pleasure of myself and if there is one thing I can tell you count on, is that you can count on me to pleasure myself.

Edited by Canucks Curse
  • Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, JM_ said:

curious which asset you think we'd lose if we extended JT?

Horvat. If not Horvat we loose the ability to significantly upgrade our D which is the most important thing the Canucks need to do if we want to win a cup.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

Horvat. If not Horvat we loose the ability to significantly upgrade our D which is the most important thing the Canucks need to do if we want to win a cup.

I don't see how though. Looking at the cap friendly page we have a lot of cap to work after this year with even with Miller and Bo extensions. Myers comes off the books in two seasons at worst and is likely very movable after this season - he gets a 5 mil July 1 bonus so any cheapie owners looking for a big AAV-low real salary deal could take him. Ferland and the dead buyout money gone too. 

E.g. if we move Myers next offseason, we'd have 28 mil in cap space to work with for Bo and Miller extensions, re-up Kuzmenko (if he's good) and another d. Lots of space to do that. 

Edited by JM_
  • Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

We need a partner for Hughes.  That one addition will transform our club, because it will free up Quinn to play offensively.  

We need a partner for OEL too.  He’s spending all his 5 on 5 shifts babysitting Chaos Giraffe. 

So two top four D.  And Myers out for cap.

Miller should get us one and Garland might get us the other.  

Get ‘er done JR! :frantic:

6 minutes ago, Conscience said:

Pitts makes the most sense now, they are going for one last push, close to millers home and with their timeline his big contract wont be a problem a few years down the road

Got to get Marino back in any Miller to Pittsburgh deal.  Or get the assets that are part of another deal that bring in a partner for Hughes. 

39 minutes ago, JM_ said:

curious which asset you think we'd lose if we extended JT?

From my POV the assets we lose by not moving JT are what would come back if he was traded. Can he be resigned, at what cost and what duration versus what he returns in a trade. I am not willing to risk losing Miller for nothing. The argument of keeping for a playoff run is not enough if the goal is winning a CUP in the 25-27 time frame.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

We need a partner for Hughes.  That one addition will transform our club, because it will free up Quinn to play offensively.  

We need a partner for OEL too.  He’s spending all his 5 on 5 shifts babysitting Chaos Giraffe. 

So two top four D.  And Myers out for cap.

Miller should get us one and Garland might get us the other.  

Get ‘er done JR! :frantic:

I agree and have been saying the most important thing the GM should be doing before spending assets on anything else is find Quinn’s partner. 
‘The thing is this isn’t a need for an elite defenceman. A reasonably mobile, physical low scoring type is great. If Scheen was younger and more mobile he would be perfect. 
‘Marino is one that fits the bill nicely (though maybe not the physicality)but there are a lot of others. This shouldn’t be too hard, as highlighted earlier, Sakic has done it twice (for Makar and Byram) since Quinn started playing. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

From my POV the assets we lose by not moving JT are what would come back if he was traded. Can he be resigned, at what cost and what duration versus what he returns in a trade. I am not willing to risk losing Miller for nothing. The argument of keeping for a playoff run is not enough if the goal is winning a CUP in the 25-27 time frame.

There are many paths to a cup: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2303588-power-ranking-the-stanley-cup-champions-of-last-25-years 

This is a good read, it shows just how many things have to come into play to win it all, there's no one way to do it. 

I think its clear we're not going to get a huge haul back on Miller, if the 650 guys are correct and GMs are just going to wait for him as a UFA. 

I really like the F group as constructed now, we need to figure out a replacement for Myers, to me that should be the focus. We need to find Hughes his Devon Toews. 

There are lot's of ways to skin this cat.

I agree on not losing him for nothing, I dont think anyone wants that. So brass have to gauge if JT will negotiate in good faith going forward or if going home to Pitts is his overall plan.

He is so very good for our team. Besides his point production, all the other of his attributes suit us very well. 

We can't break the bank but we should be ready to work something out. I've said it many times, he is a rare breed, a type of player that doesn't come around too often. 

Edited by bishopshodan
  • Upvote 2
  • Vintage 2

NYI seems to have the most cap space but don’t know if Luo wants to deal with the Canucks anymore.

Miller for Wilde + Wahlstrom + 1st 2023.

Not ideal but Canucks get good prospects that fill a need and get cap space.

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

I agree on not losing him for nothing, I dont think anyone wants that. So brass have to gauge if JT will negotiate in good faith going forward or if going home to Pitts is his overall plan.

He is so very good for our team. Besides his point production, all the other of his attributes suit us very well. 

We can't break the bank but we should be ready to work out something out. I've said it many times, he is a rare breed, a type of player that doesn't come around too often. 

Totally agree that Miller is a rare player who combines elite skill, with size, meanness, compete, being hard to play against, fitness to play big minutes, and leadership.  I just don’t think he we extend with us.  So, we either trade him before the season in a hockey trade that returns a pieces (or pieces) that help us now, or we trade him during the season (at some point before the 2023 TDL) and return futures.  From the way management talks about “not taking a step back” then their plan must be to move Miller at a time when they get back players who can help right now.  

• Cheers 1

Just now, BPA said:

NYI seems to have the most cap space but don’t know if Luo wants to deal with the Canucks anymore.

Miller for Wilde + Wahlstrom + 1st 2023.

Not ideal but Canucks get good prospects that fill a need and get cap space.

I think that’s a fair deal but JR/Allvin said “no step back”.  So the return for Miller will include a guy who can play in our top four D right now.  Unless, of course, the return is immediately flipped to a third team for that piece. 

12 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

We can't break the bank but we should be ready to work something out. I've said it many times, he is a rare breed, a type of player that doesn't come around too often. 

You also do wonder if he is doing a Tavares/Gaudreau. Not really negotiating with the team. He isn’t being public and we aren’t being public out of professionalism but other GMs likely have an idea. 
‘Quietly doing what PLD says. Walking to UFA status with no interest in re-signing until he hits UFA or at all. 
‘Would go with his comments to the press that not surprised we are shopping him. If his salary demands are crazy or there are no salary demands at all it speaks volumes. I don’t think Gaudreau was really expecting and $84M deal to turn down from Calgary and had long ago decided to leave but wasn’t brave enough to say so. 

Edited by DrJockitch
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, AC Readership said:

I've come to grips with the team going all in this year with Miller leaving at the end of the year after the playoffs.

Then the team can start their mini rebuild in the 23 offseason.

That could certainly be the plan.  Go with this lineup and see where we stand come the TDL.  If we are clearly a playoff team, we keep Miller and see where we go.  If we aren’t a playoff team, then it won’t only be Miller be moved out at that TDL.  Could see Bo (if he’s not extended by then) traded too.  

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, AC Readership said:

I've come to grips with the team going all in this year with Miller leaving at the end of the year after the playoffs.

BUT ASSET MANAGEMENT!!!!! RAWR!!!!!

18 minutes ago, AC Readership said:

If Miller leaves for nothing then grandpa needs to go back home and take up fishing. 

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 2