The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

Just now, DeNiro said:

No player we get now will replace what Miller brings and the players know that.

If we trade him now I doubt we make the playoffs.

depends on who they get, but they'd likely take a step back, I agree.  They might make a hockey trade for an established dman who can help lower the goals against, which is just as valuable as replacing goals for.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

No player we get now will replace what Miller brings and the players know that.

If we trade him now I doubt we make the playoffs.

That’s a good point.  And if we can’t extend Miller, which looks like is the case, then what?  We trade him now, and get guys (Severson and McLeod for example) who can help, or do we wait and get better, but more futures, assets at the TDL? 

Just now, stawns said:

depends on who they get, but they'd likely take a step back, I agree.  They might make a hockey trade for an established dman who can help lower the goals against, which is just as valuable as replacing goals for.

I don’t think a D man can make the kind of impact that losing 30 goals off the roster brought.

Not to mention the leadership and all the clutch game winning goals he scored for us.

Trading Miller will hurt that room. Might even do long term damage as the players will see it as management not willing to go for it now.

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Can’t create a trade market that isn’t there though.

Just like if they could have re-signed them they would, if they could have traded him for a good return they would have too.

I don't disagree, but I also think there are good deals out if they want to put this behind them and start looking forward.  

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

That’s a good point.  And if we can’t extend Miller, which looks like is the case, then what?  We trade him now, and get guys (Severson and McLeod for example) who can help, or do we wait and get better, but more futures, assets at the TDL? 

I would go for futures over a player like Severson since I think we’re at least 3 or 4 years away from contending if things go well.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

I don’t think a D man can make the kind of impact that losing 30 goals off the roster brought.

Not to mention the leadership and all the clutch game winning goals he scored for us.

Trading Miller will hurt that room. Might even do long term damage as the players will see it as management not willing to go for it now.

Paul Reinhardt comes to mind but he was just THAT good even on the last legs of his career when he became a Canuck.

1 minute ago, stawns said:

I don't disagree, but I also think there are good deals out if they want to put this behind them and start looking forward.  

I mean we can think things and speculate all we want, only they know what deals are out there if any.

I still think the Kadri domino is holding things up. Every team that has the pieces we’re looking for in a Miller trade is probably also waiting for Kadri’s decision. 

Also Miller and his agent want to see what Kadri’s deal looks like as a comparable.

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

The only piece that was able to help now was Chytl.  The trade also didn't get done, which clearly does not give me an example of what I requested.

Ryan Miller buffalo traded him and got back 2 players that helped them plus 2 picks and there have been many like it over the years just had to say this one as it included a miller

Edited by cripplereh
  • Haha 1

Just now, DeNiro said:

I would go for futures over a player like Severson since I think we’re at least 3 or 4 years away from contending if things go well.

I agree that we should get the BPA (best piece available) and that would be more likely at the TDL in the form of an A level prospect and (or) a couple firsts.  But then there’s that problem of the message to the guys in the room who have fought so hard to get the club into a playoff spot, providing we are actually in one of course.  

If JR/Allvin are 100% committed to trading Miller, even if that’s at the TDL, regardless of where the team is in the standings, then I’m all for waiting.  (I just don’t think we will trade him, if we are in a playoff spot or close.)

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Imho, the only way Severson makes sense is if one of Myers or OEL is shipped out to make cap space. To attempt to re-sign him as a pending UFA is asking for trouble and putting us into a situation we are already experiencing. We just can’t have that much cap invested on just a few D either.  Have to absolutely factor in for the future. 

Need a couple younger guys who already have a bit of experience in the league and combined will make what a Severson will cost us in a new contract. 

like the player a lot but we don’t need one single piece, we need 2-3 dmen to revamp our squad.

And Poolman needs a new home somehow as well. Probably a good guy and could be consistent, but as we saw with Sutter and Hamonic, our team needs to be able to pencil in guys and count on them as part of the roster. Not hope they can stay healthy enough to contribute. 

We get cap in shape and the future is open wide. 

Edited by RWJC

5 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

Ryan Miller buffalo traded him and got back 2 players that helped them plus 2 picks and there have been many like it over the years just had to say this one as it included a miller

Sabres were rebuilding though.  So they wanted to trade Ryan Miller for futures.  Not really what we are trying to do.  Although I’d be happy if we did though, because holding Miller to the TDL would maximize his value.  

2 hours ago, cripplereh said:

So why worry and a plan is set and we will not let him leave for nothing

I wouldn't say I worry about it. 

I follow it and discuss it with other fans. Worrying implies I lose sleep over it.

I think there is enough evidence to suggest it is possible he leaves. It is also possible he resigns.

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Sabres were rebuilding though.  So they wanted to trade Ryan Miller for futures.  Not really what we are trying to do.  Although I’d be happy if we did though, because holding Miller to the TDL would maximize his value.  

Yes but the return they got helped right away.We are retooling so to speak so a return of two young guys that help plus pick would be acceptable any time we get it

• Vintage 1

23 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Show me one situation where a player of Miller's quality was traded at the deadline by a team in a playoff position.  There's a reason when teams bring in rentals, the players usually show their appreciation towards management's belief in them.  The opposite is also true.

Management is on record as saying they want young players who can contribute now for a reason.

10 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

Explain to me how a team that finished dead last in the league is in a playoff position?

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

Buffalo finished last that year and weren’t ever close to playoff contention. Try again. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Jaimito said:

Sounds fishy to me. JT will be wreckless to build a home in PA and don't have no trade or limited trade clause.  Alvin could trade him to Seattle if the deal is right.  It can be just a second home or investment property, rich people invest all the time. That doesn't mean that's where they want to go or will go. 

why would it be wreckless?? he build a home for his wife to live in as obviously his wife doesn't want to move.. he have 1 year left on his current contract i doubt he cares if he gets traded or not close or far from from PA.. it's his next contract that matters.. 

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

I don't see that, personally.  I think players understand, well, why things are done

• Vintage 1

13 minutes ago, Pears said:

Buffalo finished last that year and weren’t ever close to playoff contention. Try again. 

Cody eakin who has been a playoff warrior over the years for a draft pick,yes not a big name but a player better in playoffs the regular season

1 minute ago, cripplereh said:

Cody eakin who has been a playoff warrior over the years for a draft pick,yes not a big name but a player better in playoffs the regular season

Again, you’re completely missing the point. This isn’t about who was or wasn’t traded at the deadline, this is about teams COMPETING FOR A PLAYOFF SPOT trading their guys.