The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

2 minutes ago, BCNate said:

I'd really want to get Bode Wilde if we are dealing with the Islanders.  They have the pieces to make a real interesting deal with us.

Wilde sucks and has major attitude problems.

Thats why they sent him over to Sweden.

Hard pass.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

4 minutes ago, BCNate said:

I'd really want to get Bode Wilde if we are dealing with the Islanders.  They have the pieces to make a real interesting deal with us.

Might as well aquire ho sang as well if we don't care about personality anymore. Maybe trade for Evander too!

On 7/17/2022 at 8:26 PM, NUCKER67 said:

Can this roster get into the playoffs, and possibly do some damage?  (Trading Miller for a RD+)

Podkolzin - Pettersson - Boeser

Kuzmenko - Horvat - Garland

Hoglander - Dickinson - Mikheyev

Pearson - Lazar - Lockwood

Joshua

OEL - ??

Hughes - Schenn

Dermott - Myers

Rathbone - Poolman

Burroughs

Demko

Martin

A good 3C and top RHD...

sure why not?

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Don’t necessarily agree.

If this team can build up a points cushion with Miller on the roster they could still trade him at the deadline and make the playoffs.

Lots of players on this team to step up and fill the void if he goes that they could cruise in the final month. It’s not like they’d just fall apart.

Yea it sucks for the players if they trade their best player just before playoffs but I mean let’s be honest with or without Miller I doubt they’re winning more than a round. And who knows maybe Miller has a change of tune when they start winning a bunch that he decides to stay on a reasonable deal. I don’t think it’s the worst idea to be honest.

Try explain that to all the players, who has been part of the tram pushing for play offs. Tell that to Bo or EP... have a feeling they will seriously consider, where their futire lays...

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, Goal:thecup said:

He knows he is going to play for the Canucks!

I love this answer.

3 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

See posters saying we would lose 30g scorer and 99pt. Do people forget we got Kuzmenko the top euro free agent and Mikheyev. Both of those guys should be good for 40pts you hope and 20g a piece. Not including the return we get for JT.

Fans are nuts to think keeping JT thru the TDL is okay to make the playoffs, to then see him walk. Are the fans mentioning that part of the Aqualini family? No chance Canucks win a Stanley Cup this year so would be stupid to NOT trade JT...unless he signs an extension to stay here which sounded like contract talks were not close and can't see Canucks management all of a sudden changing their offer to a # JT may want or JT wanting to commit during the season.

People whined about Markstrom, Tanev, Hamhuis, Edler etc all leaving for nothing..and now you want a JT who is best player who could leave and you all do NOT want assets in return, guess we will just be a bottom feeder for a long time. Tampa, Colorado all had draft picks to help lead them to Stanley Cups. Canucks have traded way too many away with the old regime and it is time to start TRADING assets to get more picks and prospects to help us build our team into a contender one day!

Great post. Couldn't have said it better myself. We've been doing dumb things for years like not trading expiring players for assets, signing players for too much for too long while not contending, and trading away picks needlessly. We get a whole new management team and lease on the future and people just want to blow it all over again. It's mind boggling really.

1 hour ago, 73 Percent said:

Or the year after.

Or even the year after that.

1 hour ago, JM_ said:

Why? Because it's selling low.

Hmmm, maybe. For me it's quite a bit more than nothing though which is what we're going end up with if we keep dicking around.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

Should the Canucks try to re-sign Miller now to the lowest cap hit they can get him down to, then from there look to trade him? 

There is of course risk with this, but if most teams don't wanna offer much due to the rental fear. It feels like Canucks putting an extension on him could help alleviate that concern. 

12 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Try explain that to all the players, who has been part of the tram pushing for play offs. Tell that to Bo or EP... have a feeling they will seriously consider, where their futire lays...

Doubtful, they're professionals.....

..they've been dealing with trades since they were teens.  

11 minutes ago, Bobby James said:

Should the Canucks try to re-sign Miller now to the lowest cap hit they can get him down to, then from there look to trade him? 

There is of course risk with this, but if most teams don't wanna offer much due to the rental fear. It feels like Canucks putting an extension on him could help alleviate that concern. 

I imagine Miller won’t sign a long term deal without a NTC or full NMC. He’s untradable at least right away once signed. I hope we keep him but if we’re moving him our best bet is to let him negotiate with another team so we maximize our return. 

3 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

See posters saying we would lose 30g scorer and 99pt. Do people forget we got Kuzmenko the top euro free agent and Mikheyev. Both of those guys should be good for 40pts you hope and 20g a piece. Not including the return we get for JT.

No chance the league lets us play all three of those guys in the same spot. It's called too-many-men-on-the-ice.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

Yep, I'm sure they have.

But players like Bo and Petey in particular wants to win. If the see the team weaken just prior to starting playoffs, that will be in the memory bank, when their next contracts are to be signed. 
Bo will also know, he doesn't have forever left, so he will likely have to choose betwen a big contract or play off hockey elsewhere. 
Even professional wants to win.... 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, cripplereh said:

The last three years of play Miller is 12 th in points,amung league leaders in faceoff wins,can play wingkills penalties, plays pp,amung leaders in winning goals. And you say you will not get a great return??? Wow 

.. because the timing of this now will have him going to UFA, regardless of where he is traded to.
  If he does not extend here,  he will probably go UFA to get his best deal.

So how does trading for him for the soul purpose of a playoff run somewhere else bring  a “great return”?

17 hours ago, DeNiro said:

I don’t think a D man can make the kind of impact that losing 30 goals off the roster brought.

Not to mention the leadership and all the clutch game winning goals he scored for us.

Trading Miller will hurt that room. Might even do long term damage as the players will see it as management not willing to go for it now.

While agreeing can we all also remember it was one season he did this?

Keeping to TDL could also back fire for both Canucks as well as Miller. 
loss of form or and injury could screw up even the best laid plans....

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, stawns said:

15 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Yep, I'm sure they have.

But players like Bo and Petey in particular wants to win. If the see the team weaken just prior to starting playoffs, that will be in the memory bank, when their next contracts are to be signed. 
Bo will also know, he doesn't have forever left, so he will likely have to choose betwen a big contract or play off hockey elsewhere. 
Even professional wants to win.... 

I agree these guys are professionals and would probably deal with it far better than us fans. What I do think is that if we keep Miller it will also lose a year of the young core working through what they need to do to win. While Miller is here he will be the play driver and the offence will run through him. If we're going to trade him hopefully it will be done earlier than the TDL so that transition starts taking place as soon as possible. Both in regards to working new players in but also seeing the result of no Miller and what areas remain to be addressed. I suppose it's also the sooner the young core starts taking responsibility. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, Gawdzukes said:

I agree these guys are professionals and would probably deal with it far better than us fans. What I do think is that if we keep Miller it will also lose a year of the young core working through what they need to do to win. While Miller is here he will be the play driver and the offence will run through him. If we're going to trade him hopefully it will be done earlier than the TDL so that transition starts taking place as soon as possible. Both in regards to working new players in but also seeing the result of no Miller and what areas remain to be addressed. I suppose it's also the sooner the young core starts taking responsibility. 

Whether they trade him or re sign him, hopefully it'll get done before the season starts... 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

28 minutes ago, CanuckFan1123 said:

I imagine Miller won’t sign a long term deal without a NTC or full NMC. He’s untradable at least right away once signed. I hope we keep him but if we’re moving him our best bet is to let him negotiate with another team so we maximize our return. 

Yeah I thought about that too. He'd definitely want one which is fair. 

I wasn't sure if since he currently doesn't have one, he could be traded to anyone and next year it'll kick in when the extension starts. 

30 minutes ago, CanuckFan1123 said:

It's also his LAST chance to get a big money deal (if he's going to be signing an extension with any real length).  It's hardly like he was getting Loui E. money on his current or past deals.

31 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

.. because the timing of this now will have him going to UFA, regardless of where he is traded to.
  If he does not extend here,  he will probably go UFA to get his best deal.

So how does trading for him for the soul purpose of a playoff run somewhere else bring  a “great return”?

Top 10 player on the league always get you a great return no matter the term of Thier contract

• Vintage 1