The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

1 hour ago, grandmaster said:

On the flip side Canuck fans don’t know what they have until it’s gone. Unless the return is great, the loss of Miller would be devastating and destroy this team. Kiss Petey goodbye in 2 years as well. He made it clear he is gone if the team is bad at contract renewal time.

Losing miller for nothing would hurt this club just like signing him to 9x8 would hurt. 
trading him to fill the many holes and make the team more complete doesn’t scare off talent. 

we don’t know petey intentions with this management and coaching in place things have changed sign he made those comments we don’t know the team will be bad in two years a lot can change regardless of miller. 

Moving miller makes the most sense 37year old with a 9 mill cap hit lololololololol. No thanks that’s a Jb special. 
I’d rather he was traded before the season so the distraction won’t hangover the team till the TDL. 
I personally don’t see him resigning so getting something for him is crucial letting him walk for free isn’t an option.  

JR/PA have been clear Horvat is the priority so some best get ready to be disappointed with what comes next for miller.  

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Gawdzukes said:

He's gone regardless ... so team destroyed I guess. Hopefully Seattle has some room for new fans.

Surely there is a way the world and the Canucks keep turning without Miller. There are also ways teams win hockey in this world without JT Miller. There are also ways in which Pettersson re-signs without JT holding his hand.

If missing the playoffs is something we have to contemplate without the legendary JT Miller so be it. Oh wait we've only made the playoffs once by fluke in every year JT has been here anyway.

The funniest part of this is when we lose JT for nothing and miss the playoffs anyway. Can't wait. Lol

You want us to lose Miller for nothing and miss the playoffs, and that will make you happy!  

I think that scenario is actually likely, but (as a true Canuck fan) don’t at all find it funny.  That’s terrible for us.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

You want us to lose Miller for nothing and miss the playoffs, and that will make you happy!  

I think that scenario is actually likely, but (as a true Canuck fan) don’t at all find it funny.  That’s terrible for us.  

there are shades of grey on this issue. I'd personally rather see the playoffs if all we're being offered as a best piece is a late 1st. Thats not franchise killing missing out on that. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, JM_ said:

there are shades of grey on this issue. I'd personally rather see the playoffs if all we're being offered as a best piece is a late 1st. Thats not franchise killing missing out on that. 

Im with ya on that.

8 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I think there's lots of teams left that would want JT Miller, especially in the East where it has turned into a nuclear arms race.  

I wouldn't feel comfortable with my team if I'm Boston, Rangers, Islanders, or Capitals.  Could be very likely that two of those teams end up missing the playoffs. However the cap space is at a premium now and the type of deals that are possible have shrunk.  We will most likely be taking back almost the equal amount of salary as we're shipping out.  

Yeah, this fallacy that we're "running out of teams" is silly. Almost every team in the league would happily add Miller. Particularly at his current $5.2m hit. Rental or extended.

And as you noted, there's a lot of teams back East that are looking at their neighbours, watching them get better.

As for taking cap back, so long as it expires next season, and the other pieces make it worthwhile, there's zero issue with us making a cap out/cap in trade and bringing back a bit of a "dump" player. Even better, if they bring some elements we're currently lacking. Would I take an overpaid, expiring, RH'd 3C back as part of the package? Yes, yes I would.

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

JT Miller - oh he's never leaving. He will spend the rest of his career in VAN, producing many points a year - Many I tell you!  Not the most, but quite a few.  And it should be a lot of points for his $9,000,000 a year until he's almost 40.

Ring of Honour one day, but unfortunately, no Cup. Team needed D to contend  :picard:  You should've demanded a trade JT.

1 hour ago, combover said:

Losing miller for nothing would hurt this club just like signing him to 9x8 would hurt. 

there is a middle ground in there. Lets see if JR can find that seam. 

1 hour ago, combover said:

trading him to fill the many holes and make the team more complete doesn’t scare off talent. 

doesn't that seem really unlikely at this point tho? forget all the speculation and look at the trades so far, how many young RFA RHD have been moved e.g.? 0. 

15 minutes ago, JM_ said:

there is a middle ground in there. Lets see if JR can find that seam

doesn't that seem really unlikely at this point tho? forget all the speculation and look at the trades so far, how many young RFA RHD have been moved e.g.? 0. 

I think if that were realistic, it'd be done already

37 minutes ago, Alflives said:

In those locker room scenes we get to see isn’t Pods sitting next to Miller?  I wonder if that arrangement was done with purpose?  

But, but...does he have the 'mark of the Miller hand' on the back of his neck?!:frantic::o

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Nope absolutely will not be happy. I'm just pointing out to the Miller is life crowd that we're no shoe in for playoffs like some believe just because we keep Miller. They keep talking about playoff experience and runs plus Petterson's expectations when we could just as easily miss the playoffs like last year. We're still a borderline wildcard team with some major flaws and we could even experience some growing pains contradictory to the torrid BB pace some fans expect our of the gate.

That's why I want to trade Miller. It's just reasonable to gain assets in situations like these in order to facilitate continual development in the prospects side of the club. These types of moves are necessary to promote a long contention window. I don't believe anyone in the hockey world outside of CDC believes the Canucks are a contender this year.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, JM_ said:

there is a middle ground in there. Lets see if JR can find that seam. 

I'd count 2 although not quite the definition of an RFA but close enough.

Marino - a 25 year old top-4 RD with 5 years of team control.

Brock Faber who the Wild believe is NHL ready and can be a top-4 D.  He's returning to college but is expected to turn pro at the end of his season.  Sounds like they targeted him as their Dumba replacement.  Dumba is UFA at the end of the season and the Wild are even more cap strapped in a year.

• Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Ain't news but it ain't a smarmy Nostradamus prediction or gif ;)

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/2387601/could-a-miller-severson-swap-work-for-canucks-devils

If they can work out a Severson extension, that might be something JR/PA consider. NJ does seem to be the only trade partner left standing with the unicorn RHD option. 

with no Severson extension tho its too risky imo. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, mll said:

I'd count 2 although not quite the definition of an RFA but close enough.

Marino - a 25 year old top-4 RD with 5 years of team control.

Brock Faber who the Wild believe is NHL ready and can be a top-4 D.  He's returning to college but is expected to turn pro at the end of his season.  Sounds like they targeted him as their Dumba replacement.  Dumba is UFA at the end of the season and the Wild are even more cap strapped in a year.

close, but not the same animal. 

I'd be very interested to know why they sold low on Marino. 

Faber is certainly an interesting prospect and would have been a compelling part of a deal for sure.