The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Green to be Fired

Rate this topic

Me_

7 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Gillis as President maybe. As GM? No thanks. 

Yeah. I tend to agree. I think there's a reason why Gillis hasn't been back in a GM role with another franchise and it's been years. 

I think he would make a good POHO, and get someone like the AGM in Colorado - McFarlane in here. He's been under Sakic's tutelage. Well, McFarlane can't be as bad as Benning right. RIGHT? 

Dr Evil Whatever GIF

2 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Please identify what part of his job he does well, given he's clearly demonstrated the following weaknesses:

• Can't set the lineup properly
  • Loves gifting useless plugs unearned minutes
  • Systems are absolute garbage
  • Insists on employing grossly incompetent assistants
  • Young players don't progress from their rookie years
  • Destroys confidence of star players
  • Throws his players under the bus when he doesn't have the team ready to play'
  • Terrible special teams
  • Tons of too many men call

He's not respected by his own players for good reason, and he's proven himself to not be qualified to coach above the junior level.  Anyone saying they respect him is just being polite; I highly doubt any other NHL team will ever be stupid enough to give this moron a job at any capacity more than possibly selling 50/50 tickets.

Maybe those statements from around the league that he's well respected are just other colleagues being nice. Who's going to throw another coach under the bus publicly? That doesn't bode well for that organization/franchise to say such things. 

It's all politics and optics.

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Yeah; and I can understand cause Gillis has the trophies but a flawed/non existence succession plan.  

Gillis gets credit for a roster that was mostly built for him.  He did resign players and he did add a couple of key pieces, but the core was there for him.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

Gillis gets credit for a roster that was mostly built for him.  He did resign players and he did add a couple of key pieces, but the core was there for him.

Ditto: this is one point, most forget about the Gillis Era.  With hindsight, his failure to create a succession plan from the 2011 core, has tarnished his legacy - imo.  As for Aquaman, I do wonder if he has learned any lessons from his first GM to JB - I guess, time will tell, based on he & his crew will do moving forward.  Will it be more roster tweaking, at the cost of futures cause there is no cap space to make any meaningful moves.

24 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Ditto: this is one point, most forget about the Gillis Era.  With hindsight, his failure to create a succession plan from the 2011 core, has tarnished his legacy - imo.  As for Aquaman, I do wonder if he has learned any lessons from his first GM to JB - I guess, time will tell, based on he & his crew will do moving forward.  Will it be more roster tweaking, at the cost of futures cause there is no cap space to make any meaningful moves.

Succession plan?

When Gillis took over, his top prospect died, and there wasn't much left in the cupboard. It was all or nothing with the core he had. 

He did start a succession plan, with the trades for Horvat and Markstrom. But then he wanted to do a full rebuild and...well, we know what ownership thinks about that.

44 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Succession plan?

When Gillis took over, his top prospect died, and there wasn't much left in the cupboard. It was all or nothing with the core he had. 

He did start a succession plan, with the trades for Horvat and Markstrom. But then he wanted to do a full rebuild and...well, we know what ownership thinks about that.

Based on an interview, he did admit to doing some experimentation on the draft ie: drafting overagers, with the theoretical expectations they require less development time.  With hindsight, his drafting & development was a complete failure; and I agree, that we cannot ignore Aquamans' influence on most of his roster decisions cause it is looking somewhat (very) similar to how JB has been building the roster: trades or FA's at the cost of futures & cap space.

I’ve been on the fire Green bus for a long time and that view hasn’t changed. What has changed for me is I now think JB goes with him. Green hasn’t been able to get the best out of this roster, see the performances of Boeser & EP in particular. I fear if this goes on much longer we will lose EP as well. There’s clearly talent at the top end of this roster and he’s not maximising it. 

I do r believe JB has done a good job of roster construct. It may not be all his fault though as the rumours of FA and his meddling get stronger. The blue line aside from Hughes is diabolical. Myers, Poolman & Hamonic occupying almost $12m in cap space is a case in point. All are third pair D men in my view. OEL has been solid but his cap hit for a long period is nothing short of awful. Where are the prospects? Carolina replaced Hamilton for a fraction of the cap space spent on this diabolical blue line. Trading First round picks recently doesn’t help. Letting assets like Tanev & Markstrom walk for nothing is completely unacceptable and bad asset management. Markstrom wasn’t worth the 6 years but surely he needs to understand that’s the price prior to the deadline, sell high and get assets back or if you’re committing to him, sell off Demko (not upset at the decision to promote Demko BTW). Tanev was worth the risk IMO and letting Toffoli walk after paying a premium prior to the deadline in order to re-sign Virtanen… JB has just made a calamity of the roster. Schmidt and Holtby couldn’t wait to get outta here and are now playing well. Coincidence?

It’s time the owner bites the bullet and sacks both the GM & coach. IMO ge should hire a president and step the fk away & let them do their job. First priority should be to find out whether Brock, Bo & JT plan on sticking around, the answer to those questions will dictate what happens next but the damage JB has done with the roster and cap management makes undoing some of these errors potentially difficult. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

42 minutes ago, Melbourne Canuck said:

I’ve been on the fire Green bus for a long time and that view hasn’t changed. What has changed for me is I now think JB goes with him. Green hasn’t been able to get the best out of this roster, see the performances of Boeser & EP in particular. I fear if this goes on much longer we will lose EP as well. There’s clearly talent at the top end of this roster and he’s not maximising it. 

I do r believe JB has done a good job of roster construct. It may not be all his fault though as the rumours of FA and his meddling get stronger. The blue line aside from Hughes is diabolical. Myers, Poolman & Hamonic occupying almost $12m in cap space is a case in point. All are third pair D men in my view. OEL has been solid but his cap hit for a long period is nothing short of awful. Where are the prospects? Carolina replaced Hamilton for a fraction of the cap space spent on this diabolical blue line. Trading First round picks recently doesn’t help. Letting assets like Tanev & Markstrom walk for nothing is completely unacceptable and bad asset management. Markstrom wasn’t worth the 6 years but surely he needs to understand that’s the price prior to the deadline, sell high and get assets back or if you’re committing to him, sell off Demko (not upset at the decision to promote Demko BTW). Tanev was worth the risk IMO and letting Toffoli walk after paying a premium prior to the deadline in order to re-sign Virtanen… JB has just made a calamity of the roster. Schmidt and Holtby couldn’t wait to get outta here and are now playing well. Coincidence?

It’s time the owner bites the bullet and sacks both the GM & coach. IMO ge should hire a president and step the fk away & let them do their job. First priority should be to find out whether Brock, Bo & JT plan on sticking around, the answer to those questions will dictate what happens next but the damage JB has done with the roster and cap management makes undoing some of these errors potentially difficult. 

Well said - and completely factual, to the point and brutally honest.     I, like very many others, have been advocating the Termination of both of them for a long time, for those points you mentioned and long list of others.    Re-signing them both in the off season was a train wreck that even a blind man could see coming.    Now, here we are in year 8-1/2 of Uncle jims tenure still talking about never ending failure.  When will this all come to an end?  Sureley, someone out there must be in charge of this team?????

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

The Flyers can't score. Lost 7 in a row. Alain Vignault might be on the hot seat. I'd take him back. He will always be the Canucks coach in my mind. 

An NHL coach gets fired every 41 days in the NHL. 

BTW is Friday. Is Green walking the plank today ?

I will bring back AV to coach the team any day!

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

The Flyers can't score. Lost 7 in a row. Alain Vignault might be on the hot seat. I'd take him back. He will always be the Canucks coach in my mind. 

An NHL coach gets fired every 41 days in the NHL. 

BTW is Friday. Is Green walking the plank today ?

4 minutes ago, ruilin96 said:

I will bring back AV to coach the team any day!

You guys just beat me to it!  Yes please to AV again.  Here's the accountability I liked with him and what I think we miss with Green (considering both are "players coaches"):

https://www.tsn.ca/philadelphia-flyers-alain-vigneault-1.1729319

The Flyers, who have dropped to seventh in the Metropolitan Division, have scored just 12 goals over the seven-game skid"I'm not satisfied about anything here," Flyers head coach Alain Vigneault said after Thursday's loss. "We have to find ways to win games here. This is serious. We're not scoring. Right now, we're not finishing, so we're going to have to find ways to win games 1-0 and 2-1 until we get some of that finish that I know some of these players have. Right now, we're not seeing it, we're not executing it."