The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Green to be Fired

Rate this topic

Me_

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Potvin was such a great player.  Skilled, mean, and high compete.  Imagine Potvin and Pronger on the same pair!  Love for us to find a guy like one of those two in a draft.  

3 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

They don't make em like that anymore unfortunately.

Pronger is a POS. Stomping on Kes was without a doubt one of the most dirty plays I have ever seen.

• Cheers 3

28 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

Ummm....the GM is 100% to blame, he re signed the coach we should have walked away and reset with an all new coaching staff for this year (minus Ian Clark) but we didn't and now look how we are. I saw this coming, a poor start and everyone calling for the coaches head...Time for a full on revamp of the organition, New Management and New Coaches!

That’s drastic.

• Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 1

6 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

All those coaches have far more experience than Green does. I think it would be insane to suggest that they wouldn't do better than Green. From the preseason, Green didn't do a good job preparing the players; this is not even a debate.

Why.

This line of thinking that only coaches with "NHL" experience = good.

Coaches who have won at every other level and haven't been given a chance in the NHL yet = Bad. 

Just watch  we'll hire one of these old flappy boots and still finish bottom 5. They will drive this team into the ground again next year and be fired because they literally bring nothing to the table that isn't recycled failed systems. 

2 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Why.

Coaches who have won at every other level and haven't been given a chance in the NHL yet = Bad. 

Just watch  we'll hire one of these old flappy boots and still finish bottom 5. They will drive this team into the ground again next year and be fired because they literally bring nothing to the table that isn't recycled failed systems. 

How'd the last 2 coaches with no NHL experience do here?

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Bruce won't be available :

Bruce is looking forward to spend some time in Switzerland between Christmas and year end as an assistant for Team Canada. I guess he is going to enjoy his time in Switzerland.

Yeah...pretty sure almost every coach would drop that and take an NHL job while Hockey Canada would certainly understand. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

Well here's some food for thought:

- Schmidt leaves the Canucks after playing a below average (for him) production year, and is now on pace for his best season ever. 
- Edler leaves the Canucks after his offensive production dries up entirely, and we all think he's ready for retirement. Now he's playing on the top pair for LA and has nearly matched his production level from all of last season, already. 
- Holtby puts up .889 save percentage with us, .919 with Dallas
- OEL is at 0.5 ppg pace with Arizona, and drops off to 0.2 ppg pace with us. 
- Virtanen leaves the Canucks able to shotgun only 2 beers, now does 8 vodka shots before each game in the KHL

you do the math

Wow lol 

how about bearcheese and goldy? Where they at ? 
gagne has even gone to be better

1 minute ago, eeeeergh said:

Well here's some food for thought:

- Schmidt leaves the Canucks after playing a below average (for him) production year, and is now on pace for his best season ever. 
- Edler leaves the Canucks after his offensive production dries up entirely, and we all think he's ready for retirement. Now he's playing on the top pair for LA and has nearly matched his production level from all of last season, already. 
- Holtby puts up .889 save percentage with us, .919 with Dallas
- OEL is at 0.5 ppg pace with Arizona, and drops off to 0.2 ppg pace with us. 
- Virtanen leaves the Canucks able to shotgun only 2 beers, now does 8 vodka shots before each game in the KHL

you do the math

Ya I get it Greens done I agree that he is. I just don't agree that other NHL castoffs are the only candidates who should be considered for his replacement. I don't think the guys that are available right now are an actual upgrade. 

7 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Why.

Or they bring tried and true systems that got them the long histories of playoff appearances that makes us respect them. 

Pretty obvious that 80% of this teams problems comes from horrendous systems and absentee coaching. "We dont know what we're doing"

• Cheers 2

Ya I get it Greens done I agree that he is. I just don't agree that other NHL castoffs are the only candidates who should be considered for his replacement. I don't think the guys that are available right now are an actual upgrade. 

And if there's dressing room issues, a coaching change probably isnt going to solve that and might make it worse

1 minute ago, eeeeergh said:

Or they bring tried and true systems that got them the long histories of playoff appearances that makes us respect them. 

Pretty obvious that 80% of this teams problems comes from horrendous systems and absentee coaching. "We dont know what we're doing"

What you call tried and true I call stale and predictable. Boudreau and Julien haven't done anything relevant in years. Agree to disagree. 

4 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Most coaches who win cups seem to do it after their first NHL gig.  You need to fail before you can succeed at this level.

53 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Agreed.  Edmonton has a right side without a single NHLer and they're doing ok.

well they have mac jesus.  they dont need defense if they can outscore the opponents then its ok.. even though they also have a 40 year old>?? so they are totally unique cant compare

Just now, King Heffy said:

Most coaches who win cups seem to do it after their first NHL gig.  You need to fail before you can succeed at this level.

Turns out Sullivan, Bowness and Brown were never our problem. I wouldn't be shocked if Green goes on to have success elsewhere. I agree though Green's time is up here. Sure wish Paul Maurice was available.  

What you call tried and true I call stale and predictable. Boudreau and Julien haven't done anything relevant in years. Agree to disagree. 

In Boudreau's entire career as an NHL coach, his team has never finished below .500. Including the years he was fired. 

I am less interested in Julien, I think Boudreau's philosophy and coaching style actually matches the Canucks perfectly. 

Our team is soft and small, so dump, chase, and cycle (Green's style) doesn't work. Even when we win those battles, we're relegated to perimeter shots which have only the benefit of padding the stats of the other teams goaltender. Result: bad scoring chances, and low puck possession time. Because our defensive coverage is bad, we give up way more high danger scoring chances than we get.

Lets look at our strengths:
- High end skill (Petey, Boeser, Horvat)
- Speed (Garland, Hogs, Pods add this to our top 6)
- Face offs (Miller and Horvat are both excellent)
- Puck moving defensemen that can activate and be as dangerous as a top 6 forward (Hughes, OEL)

Perfect for Boudreaus "outscore our problems" system. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1