The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Bo Horvat Trade/Contract Talks

HOFsedins

1 minute ago, Hairy Kneel said:

So Brock is a throw away because of cap? 

I usually agree with your opinions but Brock is playing like a passenger on this team. 

No one would say a thing if he was making 4m.

He's being paid as one of the top guys on this team but not playing like one. 

Kuz has overtaken him in his first year here. 

With Mikheyev LTIR, who knows, maybe we don't need to shed Brock's capspace this year and he plays in the top 6 and regains form. 

The problem with Brock is that his skating isn't fast enough but his skating / edgework is not good enough to lose defenders as well. 

His defensive awareness is average or below average. 

He used to have killer shot but that's gone down hill

On the positive, his net front has gotten a lot better with tips and rebound goals in the paint. 

Right now he is not worth it plain and simple. 

• Like 1

Detroit willing to pay Larkin 8M, he wants 9M.

Larkins produced a tiny bit more than Bo in some seasons but certainly not this one. To those who sat Bo is worth 7M, this is just what star centers get now.

Larkin at 9M is a bit outrageous, I think Bo and Larkin are both with 8M.

7 minutes ago, DeepThoughts said:

Kasper is a top of the line two-way centre prospect and the perfect fit for our long-term centre needs. Already put in a year in SHL post draft. 

He's an undersized wing that won't be as good as Horvat defensively. Offensively. Or have the leadership needed to captain a NHL team.

This needs to stop. Horvat is a top 50 player IN THE WORLD. we don't need to add anything for this garbage.

The disrespect he gets from this franchise is exactly why we're in the position we are.

Here's a link in case people forget the impact he's had on our team.

https://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/teams/vancouver-canucks-players-career-nhl-stats.html

• Thanks 1
  • There it is 2

9 minutes ago, DeepThoughts said:

Kasper is a top of the line two-way centre prospect and the perfect fit for our long-term centre needs. Already put in a year in SHL post draft. 

I don't think that's where the confusion lies?  Why would Van add to Horvat?

16 minutes ago, DeepThoughts said:

Horvat to Detroit for Marco Kasper would be ideal. Unlikely Det would add to this. Canucks might need to add. 

I understand this thinking, he's blowing up the SHL as a kid, but still very unproven at the NHL level and you have to pay for consistent production at the NHL level. I think Detroit would have to pay extra but not much. Former 9OA for 8OA is pretty close though.

11 minutes ago, DeepThoughts said:

Horvat is a milk popsicle?

He's a 2 time all star, one of the top face-off guys in the league, 30+ goal scoring NHL captain.

Stop.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

He's an undersized wing that won't be as good as Horvat defensively. Offensively. Or have the leadership needed to captain a NHL team.

This needs to stop. Horvat is a top 50 player IN THE WORLD. we don't need to add anything for this garbage.

The disrespect he gets from this franchise is exactly why we're in the position we are.

Here's a link in case people forget the impact he's had on our team.

https://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/teams/vancouver-canucks-players-career-nhl-stats.html

Agreed.  We have the dumbest fanbase in sports. 

6 minutes ago, DeepThoughts said:

Van Trades - Horvat, Boeser, 2nd

Det Trades - Kasper, Wallinder, Copp

Copp fills in for Van while Kasper is developing and some cap balance to offset Boeser's not-so-great contract. Wallinder nice d-prospect. And...we are rid of Boeser. Yay!

Yzerman is too smart to want bb6 on his team.  Hes the opposite of what he wants.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

Man... I bet Tocchet in just his few days here is asking what the heck has management done when they signed Miller long term and is about to lose Horvat. 

As much as my heart keeps cheering that we made the right move and Tocchet will transform Miller to a player who will be better than Horvat on the long run, the facts are

Horvat is younger

Horvat is more intelligent

Horvat is a centre

Horvat is better on faceoffs

Horvat is more responsible

Miller has higher end skill

Miller is more physical

Speed is similar

Horvat has shown if he cheats and gambles like Miller, he is also capable of putting up big numbers

Man what a mess

At this point, as much as we probably want to sign Horvat, having Miller signed for 8 is going to prevent us from doing this. 

We won't sign Horvat and trade Miller as that reflects really poorly on the management group. 

I would have to think we need a massive haul for Horvat this deadline and really change the identify of the team. 

Real poor, management had NO reason to resign Miller last year. He wasn't in his contract year so could have easily waited 6 months. I wonder if it was pressure from the fans or media or his agent which caved Allvin's rookie brain in and forced him into splashing cash out.

Any sensible person could see that Miller's year was out of the norm. He put up 99 points playing under two very loose, offensive coaches and on a bad defensive team with a fire Demko making their +/- all look better than they seemed. Any smart person would say that there's no way Miller would reproduce a season like this. At the end of last year we had these options:

1 - trade Miller. He pumped his value up so much that this was arguably out of the question but they could have taken the risk of a cheaper/lower value deal. Hard to trade a 99pt guy though to be fair.

2 - resign him after a career year when we didn't have to, it's not like his contract was up? Pay high?

3 - wait another 6-12 months and then decide. A ballsy or savvy GM would have done this. There would be pressure of course, but Allvin simply doesn't look like the type who can deal with pressure. Either Miller would have slipped to 60pt production, 80pt or 100pts.

If he dropped to 60pts, we could trade him for a cheaper deal easily or let him walk or resign him to a 5M deal.

If he scored at 80pts or PPG again we could sign him for a prospect + pick or get him resigned at say 7M or let him walk.

If he miraculously scored 100pts again (what are the odds, honestly, considering his past?) the he'd probably have priced himself out of a trade (or is there really such a thing? Bo's doing it now and he's likely gone...), or had to resign him to a stupid amount like 9-10M or let him walk.

Clearly Allvin was worried about the latter. That is just bad foresight. What are the chances a career sloppy defensively one way center/winger 60pt scorer drops 99pts and then repeats it? I'd take those odds. Allvin was worried he'd score 99+ again in which case he'd be in a tough situation, but as anyone can see, the chances of that were low.

This is a classic case of a scared rookie GM. Don't care if JR is behind the scenes or not, no smart savvy GM would have busted 8M on a guy after a career year who isn't even in their contract year when he has his captain to resign the next year. That sums it up, dreadful management of the two centers.

33 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

I usually agree with your opinions but Brock is playing like a passenger on this team. 

No one would say a thing if he was making 4m.

He's being paid as one of the top guys on this team but not playing like one. 

Kuz has overtaken him in his first year here. 

With Mikheyev LTIR, who knows, maybe we don't need to shed Brock's capspace this year and he plays in the top 6 and regains form. 

The problem with Brock is that his skating isn't fast enough but his skating / edgework is not good enough to lose defenders as well. 

His defensive awareness is average or below average. 

He used to have killer shot but that's gone down hill

On the positive, his net front has gotten a lot better with tips and rebound goals in the paint. 

Right now he is not worth it plain and simple. 

Yeah I've seen that downside too. But I think he's trying to adapt, I've noticed more hitting and shot blocking from him. It's edged up. But being snakebit for a prime winger is the k.o.d.

Im hoping he goes on a tear here sometime soon. 

1 minute ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Yeah I've seen that downside too. But I think he's trying to adapt, I've noticed more hitting and shot blocking from him. It's edged up. But being snakebit for a prime winger is the k.o.d.

Im hoping he goes on a tear here sometime soon. 

He's so likeable so I'm rooting for him but if he wasnt as likeable, something tells me canucks would have cut bait with him already. 

• Vintage 1