The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Bo Horvat Trade/Contract Talks

HOFsedins

42 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I tend to agree with you that Bo's got more roots here in Vancouver. But it is a business after all, isn't it? Danny and Hank were close to leaving Vancouver, if I'm not mistaken, at one point in their careers. Thankfully they remained, but it just tells you that this is a business at the end of the day. It's also management's responsibility to resign Horvat. Good thing some of the rumors that are out there are that JR is looking at pretty much everyone on the roster, minus Bo and Petey. 

I could see Bo being a one team guy as well. I can easily see him resigning this summer to a contract extension (if he's able to), to a 6/7 year deal worth 6/6.5M. 

Miller I agree that he doesn't give the impression that he wants to remain here. And like you've said, he's been here three years, and probably has no reason to do the Canucks any favours. I can see him going back to either NY or the Lightning. NY, well, there's really no need to explain why. It's New York. Tampa Bay, because they are one of the best organizations, top to bottom. Model franchise, really. And they just won back to back championships. Tax free state, which means players really keep more of their money, as opposed to being a Canuck, where you're going to get taxed here like crazy. 

It's def a business, but there's something to be said for stability while raising a young family. He's got friends here, family now, roots, teammates. Lots of reasons to stay. It's not as if we're Arizona or Montreal either, even if we take a step back to take steps forward it won't be the kind of turnaround Arizona's looking at. But yeah, rumours of him not being available are encouraging. 

I could see it too, and I'm fine with that. He's good value at those numbers, and unlike Miller it he takes steps back offensively he'll still likely be a faceoff ace who can play a matchup role while chipping in some offense. In theory of course. 

Not sure the Lightning would have room, but I wouldn't be shocked to see him extend with a team like New York or Florida if they can make space. He'll want to go to a contender, dude wants to win a cup. But yeah, I don't expect he'll be here much longer. 

5 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Doesn’t Zacha seem like he’s trending the way of Galchenyuk?

Not sure that’s enough to trade Garland for. We traded a 9th overall for him and he’s still only 25.

Id rather keep Garly and acquire a third line center another way.

Yeah. Zacha for Garland would be a massive loss. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

It's def a business, but there's something to be said for stability while raising a young family. He's got friends here, family now, roots, teammates. Lots of reasons to stay. It's not as if we're Arizona or Montreal either, even if we take a step back to take steps forward it won't be the kind of turnaround Arizona's looking at. But yeah, rumours of him not being available are encouraging. 

I could see it too, and I'm fine with that. He's good value at those numbers, and unlike Miller it he takes steps back offensively he'll still likely be a faceoff ace who can play a matchup role while chipping in some offense. In theory of course. 

Not sure the Lightning would have room, but I wouldn't be shocked to see him extend with a team like New York or Florida if they can make space. He'll want to go to a contender, dude wants to win a cup. But yeah, I don't expect he'll be here much longer. 

Yeah. Miller wants to win. I think the same could be said with the other players of course. not saying that they don’t want to win, but Miller like you’ve said is a little different in that he doesn’t have roots here. He wants to play for a Cup contender most likely, and the Canucks are not that, not this year for sure, and not next season either. So best to get the best out of your best player on the team, for prospects/picks/players that can help now and for the future.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, sockeye said:

Miller has proven he is a good centre and much better than Petey.

Petey needs to put on a few more pounds, improve his core strength (so he is harder to knock off the puck and stronger on the boards) and improve his faceoff percentage. I am confident that Petey will make those improvements but, until then, he should stay on the wing.  

I would love to keep JT and Bo, but if we have to trade one, I’d prefer to keep Bo who we groomed and who is a few years younger. If we trade JT or Bo, we need to get a good young centre back. We also need a top RHD prospect and I hope JR and PA can work some magic.

The current Canucks have shown great strides but we would be lucky to reach the playoffs this year.

For Miller - I think if we could get a young C, and a young RHD in return, that would be gold. 

Let’s see what Allvin, JR and Emilie can do. They can’t possibly be worse than Benning and Co. 

Edited by N4ZZY

4 hours ago, Me_ said:

VAN

Lafrenière

Kravtsov

Schneider

1st ‘22

NYR

Horvat

and I don’t agree with myself on that one since it is much harder to find a steady C throughout the lineup; Pettersson, Horvat, Lammikko and Dickinson is decent depth for once.

Id have to think of this one really hard, as only Lafrenière is NHL ready and constant. Miller can also play center.

This then becomes the Miller team.

It’s a choice.

Doubt rangers would offer that much

Edited by klw604
  • Vintage 1

9 hours ago, sockeye said:

Miller has proven he is a good centre and much better than Petey.

Petey needs to put on a few more pounds, improve his core strength (so he is harder to knock off the puck and stronger on the boards) and improve his faceoff percentage. I am confident that Petey will make those improvements but, until then, he should stay on the wing.  

I would love to keep JT and Bo, but if we have to trade one, I’d prefer to keep Bo who we groomed and who is a few years younger. If we trade JT or Bo, we need to get a good young centre back. We also need a top RHD prospect and I hope JR and PA can work some magic.

The current Canucks have shown great strides but we would be lucky to reach the playoffs this year.

hard to disagree with any of that. 

13 hours ago, aGENT said:

I'm fine even finishing the season with Horvat, Pettersson, Chytil and Lammiko as our C's. But in the summer, management needs to add one of Paul/Tierney/Sturm (or similar) to the roster.

I hate having to rely on free agency, it would be better to get the C back in a deal, but thats also quite hard to do. 

According to the hockey writers they have our answer, they want to give us Kerfott and two b-prospects for Miller :gocan:

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, JM_ said:

According to the hockey writers they have our answer, they want to give us Kerfott and two b-prospects for Miller 

Want, and willing are two different things.

I want a Crosby for Brad Hunt deal.

But I'm willing to sweeten the deal.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, smithers joe said:

JR says, that the team is not constructed right. i've always believed that each scoring line needs a scorer, aplaymaker and an energy line. eg henrik, danny and burr. JT fits all those categories. where do our players fit?

I really think that Bruce has found his enery line with Motte- Lammikko - Highmore. I am deeply disappointed how the season went so far for Boeser. Sitting at just 11 goals and 22 points he clearly is the player I would instantly move once a team offers the right price. If you want to become a playoff team and legitimate contender you need at least 2 natural goal scorers on your roster. Brock is now 24 years and is not contributing on the scoresheet on a regular basis. You would expect significantly more production from him, especially playing alongside centers like Miller or Horvat.

you can argue that Brock's struggles are due to Pettersson's desastrous form in the first 25 games of the season. But once Pettersson was shifted to 3C and now on the wing, there is no more excuses for Brock' s lack of scoring.

Losing a winger in Brock does hurt way less than losing a 1C or 2C. Let's take a look how desperate teams like the Rangers for the Golden Knights are looking for a 1C or 2C. Rangers would love to get Horvat, so would the Bruins (Haula is currently their 2C and they need to find an upgrade to Haula). I think JR is experienced and smart enough not to trade away Pettersson and Horvat, because you build a team from the middle (center). My best guess is that either J.T. Miller, Brock Boeser and/ or Garland are the forwards on their way out.

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, JM_ said:

I hate having to rely on free agency, it would be better to get the C back in a deal, but thats also quite hard to do. 

According to the hockey writers they have our answer, they want to give us Kerfott and two b-prospects for Miller :gocan:

Meh, free agency works for what it is. It's there for a reason. And none of the pieces we need there should be too cost prohibitive. We won't be big game hunting. Chytil + one of those guys should roughly equal Miller's hit (minus the player they displace as well).

Personally I'd rather the Miller trade fill our RD hole as the main piece. If we can get a C prospect like Barron as well, maybe they can be 4C in a year or so and eventually displace the UFA as their 4'ish year term winds down.

2 hours ago, JM_ said:

Toronto media is the worse. They want Miller because he's a good player, but they're offering garbage thinking that would get it done. 

Get the &^@# away Toronto. 

• Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Meh, free agency works for what it is. It's there for a reason. And none of the pieces we need there should be too cost prohibitive. We won't be big game hunting. Chytil + one of those guys should roughly equal Miller's hit (minus the player they displace as well).

Personally I'd rather the Miller trade fill our RD hole as the main piece. If we can get a C prospect like Barron as well, maybe they can be 4C in a year or so and eventually displace the UFA as their 4'ish year term winds down.

yup thats why the NYR would be such a great fit. 

Anyway, I suspect we find out within a few weeks.

1 hour ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

I really think that Bruce has found his enery line with Motte- Lammikko - Highmore. I am deeply disappointed how the season went so far for Boeser. Sitting at just 11 goals and 22 points he clearly is the player I would instantly move once a team offers the right price. If you want to become a playoff team and legitimate contender you need at least 2 natural goal scorers on your roster. Brock is now 24 years and is not contributing on the scoresheet on a regular basis. You would expect significantly more production from him, especially playing alongside centers like Miller or Horvat.

you can argue that Brock's struggles are due to Pettersson's desastrous form in the first 25 games of the season. But once Pettersson was shifted to 3C and now on the wing, there is no more excuses for Brock' s lack of scoring.

Losing a winger in Brock does hurt way less than losing a 1C or 2C. Let's take a look how desperate teams like the Rangers for the Golden Knights are looking for a 1C or 2C. Rangers would love to get Horvat, so would the Bruins (Haula is currently their 2C and they need to find an upgrade to Haula). I think JR is experienced and smart enough not to trade away Pettersson and Horvat, because you build a team from the middle (center). My best guess is that either J.T. Miller, Brock Boeser and/ or Garland are the forwards on their way out.

I've actually liked how much progress Lammikko has made this year. When he started he was horrible at the face offs, but has grown to be better. And he's played a lot better too. He's a solid fourth line guy. We keep him, i say. 

• Upvote 1