The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Bo Horvat Trade/Contract Talks

HOFsedins

8 minutes ago, J-23 said:

I don’t which other team would give up a strong centre prospect for Bo alone like Wright.

Maybe, but still not sure I would want to give away the biggest trading chip we will probably have for the next 5 years and not fill out biggest need -- for a young RHD.  We've got strong centres now and look where we are.   The hole(s) on D are just so glaring, particularly at RHD, and trading Horvat is definitely our best shot at improving that situation.  The alternative will be drafting a stud RHD in the first round this year or next (if there are any), then waiting a couple more years until he can come to our rescue.

Edited by Captain Canuck #12

14 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Fair enough on JL. We're covered at wing and can spare him being added (not that I want him to be), but we can agree to disagree on that.

Again, it's not that I'm married to JL, I'd move him. I just don't feel like we need to add him to Bo. I mean if there was additional pieces coming...sure. But just for Wright?

Re: Bo's fire, he used to have it, but he doesn't anymore with our team. Aside from his goals, he shows every night that he doesn't engage away from the puck, doesn't hit, fight, or block shots, really, and skates away from his teammates, yet again, from getting suckered. It's clear that he's an employee with one foot already out the door - at least I think it's clear to see when someone has checked out. He's also on the wrong side of our timeline.

I'll agree he looks like he's checked out a bit, but that's circumstantial IMO. He's on a crap team, with a poorly constructed roster, and yet again no prospects of playoffs, who saw the team prioritize an older guy who's allergic to D and prone to tantrums over him. I can hardly blame him for not giving it the proverbial "110%" here. You'll likely see a fired up Bo if/when he gets traded to a playoff team.

I'll add, re: his excellent track record, that his record isn't that impressive, really. A consistent 50-60 point guy who has a great contract year is not worth more than JT money. If you take out this contract year, would you trade Bo and JL for Wright, or is it this year that's making you pause? 

He's been a consistent producer with nobodies for wingers, who's one of the top face off guys in the league, a leader, and VERY well respected league wide. It has nothing to do with this year.

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Again, it's not that I'm married to JL, I'd move hime. I just don't feel like we need to add him to Bo. I mean if there was additional pieces coming...sure. But just for Wright?

If that's what it takes to get Wright, yes. 

I'll agree he looks like he's checked out a bit, but that's circumstantial IMO. He's on a crap team, with a poorly constructed roster, and yet again no prospects of playoffs, who saw the team prioritize an older guy who's allergic to D and prone to tantrums over him. I can hardly blame him for not giving it the proverbial "110%" here. You'll likely see a fired up Bo if/when he gets traded to a playoff team.

I agree with this, which is why I'm also fine to see Bo move on. He wants to be a playoff team but doesn't want to play the way it takes to make the playoffs. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, I firmly believe Bo is who Hansen was referring to about padding stats at the expense of playing the right way. 

He's been a consistent producer with nobodies for wingers, who's one of the top face off guys in the league, a leader, and VERY well respected league wide. It has nothing to do with this year.

Granted, but is he truly worth more than JT money with everything considered? I don't think so. Bo sure does think so.

Bo and JL for Wright and $8m+ cap space is a good deal for our future. If we can get anything else with Wright then even better, but Wright is getting terribly underrated, likely due to him falling to #4.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

Maybe, but still not sure I would want to give away the biggest trading chip we will probably have for the next 5 years and not fill out biggest need -- for a young RHD.  We've got strong centres now and look where we are.   The hole(s) on D are just so glaring, particularly at RHD, and trading Horvat is definitely our best shot at improving that situation.  The alternative will be drafting a stud RHD in the first round this year or next (if there are any), then waiting a couple more years until he can come to our rescue.

I don’t think any exceptional young RHD’s are on the market. You have to draft and develop those guys imo.

• There it is 2

1 minute ago, J-23 said:

I don’t think any exceptional young RHD’s are on the market. You have to draft and develop those guys imo.

Is Wright on the market though?  Which exceptional young players are really on the market?  I think it's more of an issue that if another team really wants Bo, they're going to have to put a really good young player or two on the market for us.  Then it's up to Rutherford/Allvin to decide who they want the most, probably influenced to a large degree by positional need.

10 minutes ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

Is Wright on the market though?  Which exceptional young players are really on the market?  I think it's more of an issue that if another team really wants Bo, they're going to have to put a really good young player or two on the market for us.  Then it's up to Rutherford/Allvin to decide who they want the most, probably influenced to a large degree by positional need.

With Bo gone, centre will be a positional need as well. We will see how this goes, TDL couldn’t come any sooner..

3 minutes ago, J-23 said:

With Bo gone, centre will be a positional need as well. We will see how this goes, TDL couldn’t come any sooner..

I completely agree with both those statements! :)  My only add it that, I think we need to get both a centre and an RHD in the Horvat trade, which will probably be the trade of the decade for us.  Fortunately, listening to Rutherford's press conference,  it sound pretty clear that he's thinking that way too!

• Huggy Bear 1

30 minutes ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

There's no way anyone who drafted Wright would trade him for anything less than a roster player (Horvat) plus a good prospect (which Lekerimaki doesn't count as right now)

So anyone who doesn't like this trade just isn't very high on Wright. 

I don't agree with thst. Ones a 4th overall, one was 15th under a year ago. Horvats value at it's a rock bottom is a late first, good prospect, and roster player as a rental. His high end should be higher then that if he's looking to be resigned, which I'm sure Seattle would be. Also, trading within division tax.

I don't think Wright's value is a mid first, a late first, a high end prospect, and a roster player.

• Cheers 2

9 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

I don't agree with thst. Ones a 4th overall, one was 15th under a year ago. Horvats value at it's a rock bottom is a late first, good prospect, and roster player as a rental. His high end should be higher then that if he's looking to be resigned, which I'm sure Seattle would be. Also, trading within division tax.

I don't think Wright's value is a mid first, a late first, a high end prospect, and a roster player.

If they do trade Horvat (and that makes me sick to my stomach) they need multiple pieces back, not one piece

And Wright hasn't proven anything yet

• Cheers 1

32 minutes ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

I completely agree with both those statements! :)  My only add it that, I think we need to get both a centre and an RHD in the Horvat trade, which will probably be the trade of the decade for us.  Fortunately, listening to Rutherford's press conference,  it sound pretty clear that he's thinking that way too!

That probably leaves us with two crappy players though. No one is giving up two blue chip prospects for an upcoming ufa.

16 minutes ago, stawns said:

If they do trade Horvat (and that makes me sick to my stomach) they need multiple pieces back, not one piece

JR said he wants guys coming out of their ELCs.  Wright might not even be a guy targeted. 

Edited by Alflives

2 minutes ago, Off_The_Schneid! said:

Florida hasn’t been mentioned but if they can inch within striking distance of the playoffs they could bite 

Heard that they haven’t been overly impressed with Reinhart (1 more year @6.5m)

Florida doesn’t have many picks to offer as a sweetener though

Boeser for Reinhardt?  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, stawns said:

I've come to terms with Horvat being traded. I don't like that we kept Miller but lose Horvat, but it is what it is.

I'd have to think long and hard about Wright for Horvat straight. My gut leans toward no, but I'm not sure how much more it would take. I don't know much about Wright past his draft year, and even then he wasn't in our scope so I didn't pay all that much attention. He hasn't stood out to me anytime I've seen him since the draft 

• There it is 1

11 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

I've come to terms with Horvat being traded. I don't like that we kept Miller but lose Horvat, but it is what it is.

I'd have to think long and hard about Wright for Horvat straight. My gut leans toward no, but I'm not sure how much more it would take. I don't know much about Wright past his draft year, and even then he wasn't in our scope so I didn't pay all that much attention. He hasn't stood out to me anytime I've seen him since the draft 

Hard no for me, horvst is worth much more than Shane wright

• Vintage 1