The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Bo Horvat Trade/Contract Talks

HOFsedins

15 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Handshake deal with Bo: we trade you as a rental for strong assets, Myers gets his bonus, we trade Myers for futures, we re-sign you for years to come. Seems easy enough.

Not impossible. Even without a handshake deal. Certainly not unheard of where a player declares he is going to re-sign with the team that traded him.

Players can sign anywhere once traded for any reason, Vancouver had several high level UFAs sign here for a discount under Gillis.

10 minutes ago, Petey Castiglione said:

I can't seem to find the benefit of not letting other teams talk contract extension.  Wouldn't we want that to get more of a return?

Check the post by @eeeeergh on page 452. Between my post they were replying to and theirs expanding on it, it's explained why.

Edited by Shayster007
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, combover said:

the offers were crap he’d have been a fool to accept them. 
they offered him what he watched Louie Erickson do to get paid!! 

lolololololol less value to the team than boeser. Ha. 

7-8 mill is exactly he should sit 

they offered him LESS a pay cut in the summer you think he felt respected by the franchise  hahahahahaha. 

this illusion that Vancouver is this fabulous place where professional athletes will want to come to play meaningless games for less than they could get on winning team is just to funny.

his value is up he’s back to back 30 goal seasons 

hes once again in the top 5 in fo wins 

he taken more faceoffs than any other player 

He’s having a career year 

just like miller did before getting over paid… 

so yeah his values up. 

5.1 mill or 6 mill isn’t even close to realistic of what horvats worth 

those offers tell the player he’s not needed here but we’ll keep you if you want to stay. 

so when other gms call and say we want horvat but since you value him at a 5.1 mill or 6 mill player so the offers should reflect that… 

huh uh oh that doesn’t sound so good does it.

you want a 8 mill player return but for a 5 mill player…  

I doubt Benning would have lowballed Horvat like this...

JR wanted to trade Bo, but with his stellar play this season, it has kind of back fired...

Just now, IRR said:

For sure! This too, because it seems like it would happen with our luck and we cannot afford that!! 

Pearson, was a prime candidate to get shifted... the list of players looking to be traded, then getting injured is long....

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, Petey Castiglione said:

I can't seem to find the benefit of not letting other teams talk contract extension.  Wouldn't we want that to get more of a return?

Didn't look very hard...

4 hours ago, billabong said:

If the offers aren’t good enough why would they let him talk to teams?

the Canucks would lose control of the negotiations if the agent started talking to teams 

4 hours ago, Provost said:

It makes a lot of sense.  Right now there are a lot of suitors and most of all of them Bo probably won’t extend with.  If they give permission, then many of those suitors go away.

The best course of action is to keep as many potential teams in the mix and keep getting them to up the offers by playing them against each other. 

If it gets really close to the deadline and the right deal hasn’t been offered, then they can give permission.

3 hours ago, Shayster007 said:

I think it makes sense. The second you give teams the power to talk to Horvats camp he gets a say in where he goes. It's high risk high reward to allow those discussions, and should only be done if a team offers a trade you want to accept with the contingency that they want to resign him.

The second contracts are starting to be discussed teams like Boston, Seattle, Columbus who want to resign Bo know exactly what they are looking at. Bo could just straight up say nope going to FA and now his value is immediately downgraded to a rental.

I feel that contract discussion is the last step in trade talk after you have your trade all set up. Then you just gotta hope Horvat wants to go to that team long term.

3 hours ago, aGENT said:

This:

Also gives him defacto trade control and alters/reduces the market and hence return.

Permission to talk extension is something you consider when you've basically got a deal hammered out and agreed upon, the team has offered you extra pieces for the right to do so, and you've spoken to Horvat/his agent on whether it's somewhere they'd seriously consider extending, for something near what the other team considers a reasonable opening offer.

Until then, you negotiate based on the teams getting his rights until July.

• Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, spook007 said:

+ he could get an injury, which would screw the whole idea up...

They need to sit him 

No games til trade 

It’s playing with fire and the next 5 years basically comes down to this 1 trade 

if we mess this up, it’s literally game over 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The Seattle Mariners have never won a World Series.  The Seattle Sonics won one NBA Championship back in 1979.  The Seattle Seahawks won one Superbowl in 2014.  The city of Seattle is screaming for a team to win a championship.  The Kraken have built their team for now, not for the future.  They only have like 7 or 8 guys on their roster that are younger than Horvat.  If they want to build slowly through the draft then it will take them 5-7 years to be competitive for a cup.  Or they can look at their roster full of veterans and say that Horvat fits right in their age group.  If they wait 5 years then alot of the current roster won't be around.  

On top of all of that Seattle doesn't have a captain.  So they could make Horvat their captain.  Would be a great marketing bonanza for them.  We will see...

In the PNW, everyone's focused on the next coffee break?!

• Haha 1

I don’t want Kotkeniemi in a trade but if it gets a deal done with Carolina I’m good with it.

As long as they realize he’s a cap dump and isn’t adding value to the trade.

His contract is actually very buyout friendly. We could try him out here for a couple years and maybe boost his value. If not his buyout cap hit is only 800k. It’s for a long time but pretty minimal. Worth it to acquire Morrow, Jarvis, and a 1st.

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

41 minutes ago, Petey Castiglione said:

Our management is stupid. Is my guess. The only argument is maybe they don't want to be bidding against other teams on a re-sign. If other teams are willing to give 8mil, how is management supposed to justify their 6mil offers? Lol. But honestly, we should be willing to let them work out extensions so we can get the most possible value in trade. If you're not gonna offer him fair contract, maximize him in a trade.

32 minutes ago, spook007 said:

I doubt Benning would have lowballed Horvat like this...

Your probably right, rinse and repeat long term with the same players who have yet to build team chemistry and play a better all around game. Or would it the the Benning that just ran out of time and never even offered Tanev a long time Canuck a contract because he was too inammered trying to trade for OEL then and going back till the bitter end to sign the older goalie in Markstrom...

Sucks to see Bo going, but this sure seems like a Keenan/Messier 2.0 with a new regime seemingly backing JT long term to stick with the team vs signing the captain this past off season. Im not in favour of paying Bo for his contract year but a long term deal 7-7.5m for a captain to remain on his team should be fair for both sides...seen other NHL captains sign to remain with their original club that drafted them.

Hopefully some big bold trades happen from now till the draft and see if they intend to do MAJOR surgery as the President would say...

• Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I don’t want Kotkeniemi in a trade but if it gets a deal done with Carolina I’m good with it.

As long as they realize he’s a cap dump and isn’t adding value to the trade.

His contract is actually very buyout friendly. We could try him out here for a couple years and maybe boost his value. If not his buyout cap hit is only 800k. It’s for a long time but pretty minimal. Worth it to acquire Morrow, Jarvis, and a 1st.

I would only take Kotkeniemi back in trade if JT Miller goes the other way and like you said if after a year or 2 JK isn't working out even as a #3C then we can buy him out and its not a massive cap hit just drags on for a while. But if that is what is needed to trade JT this TDL team should consider it no?

Still hoping JT to NYI for Beauvillier plus is something that might happen. For me you trade your Captain you should go full bore and make multiple big changes and build around #40, 43 & 35. But you better be trying to FIX the D in those trades and not take back more wingers or a fringe C prospect as the main piece back. Getting at least 1 additional 2023 1st round pick should be top priority.

I wonder if a Kuz and Schenn package to say Carolina might garner a 2023 1st and say Suzuki/Drury? 2 players with sub 1m cap hits should be used as trade bait for the TDL. Canucks if they clear Garland or Boeser could then try to circle back on Kuzmenko on July 1st if he does hit UFA that is

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

It's down to 4 teams...

Detroit, Winnipeg, Boston and Seattle...

Why is it down to these 4?

I could totally seen Seattle doing the trade. 

NHL would love it too.

Really kick off the desired i5 rivalry.