The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks fire Jim Benning, name Stan Smyl as interim GM

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

9 minutes ago, Tom Sestito said:

Benning gave out more trade protection, traded more futures, and run the organization with no future planning moreso than any other GM in Canucks history (At least during my lifetime)

Iceman has to be trolling

What? You're just going to neglect the FACT that Benning filled the age-gap left by Gillis?

How's that for analytics you Travis Yost worshipper?????????????

Typical Benning hater.

Go Bennings I mean Canucks

Elliote Friedman mentioned Ryan Johnson's name as a potential NHL GM down the road, and I was thinking that same thing a few days ago. He's been in the org a long time and seemingly does good work. I am not saying he should be our next GM necessarily as I am not in the bizz and have no clue how good he is, but is he someone we should keep in mind when we think about our next GM? I understand many are anti noobies but I dunno, I think Johnson is gonna be an NHL GM and it'd be nice if it were with us.

But whether or not we should make that plunge now seems super high risk. Cause if we hire another GM. It's not gonna be with the intent to keep him around temporarily while Johnson gets more experience and what not. And if we hire Johnson now he may not be up to the task and we risk wasting the entirety of our kids time and skills. As we've already wasted enough of Bo's.

Just food for thought, instead of just mindlessly bashing Benning all the live long day.

4 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

Gillis is older and wiser now. 
Benning got a loong leech so why not let Gillis have a go. 

Just because he's smarter than he was back then does not make him qualified to run an NHL team.  Why not hire someone who has some chance of succeeding instead?

• Vintage 1

3 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Marc Bergevin's 1st round draft picks history with Montreal:

Alex Galchenyuk

Michael McCarron

Nikita Scherbak

Noah Juulsen

Mikhail Sergachev (traded for the French guy)

Ryan Poehling

Jesperi Kotkaniemi

Cole Caufield

Kaiden Guhle

Logan Mailloux (sex offender)

One of the worst first round of drafting in NHL history.  Traded the best draft pick he ever had in 9 years for a French guy and used a 1st round pick on a sex offender.  He's lucky he's not behind bars for his malfeasance...

But he's made hundreds of trades and his worst one is the Drouin gamble. Solid trade record.

17 minutes ago, Tom Sestito said:

Benning gave out more trade protection, traded more futures, and run the organization with no future planning moreso than any other GM in Canucks history (At least during my lifetime)

Iceman has to be trolling

Yup.  Jim Benning dealt more 1st round picks away than Nonis & Gillis *combined*.  Actually, I think that was a problem with Gillis.  He didn't go 'all in" when the window was still open.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

2 hours ago, iceman64 said:

Shhhhh people don't want to hear that.. ;)

The benning/green era will go down in canucks history as one of (but not)THE WORST ERA'S in team history with 8 YEARS OF continuous FAILURE and the team in much worse shape than when they took over.  THAT IS THE BOTTOM LINE!  Just look at that last game and see the status they left this franchise in and then try telling anyone with a straight face they are the best duo since Batman & Robin!

As you've likely heard during the last few weeks during TV game broadcast, in the media, on news broadcast, sports shows and even on this forum, they have brought up numerous stats showing how bad we really were - some of them ALL TIME RECORD LOWS In NHL HISTORY and yet "Some People" still stood by those two.   

It mystifies me how tolerant and beligerant some people can get and still can't muster up the courage to call those two out for what they truly were - FAILURES! 

(P.S.: I'm not refering to you, BTW !):rolleyes:

Edited by RU SERIOUS