The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

thin D got thinner

Rate this topic

dr.naughtypants

21 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

Except he WAS called for interference and we scored on the PP. 

I'd like someone to interfere with his face.   

Also:  he skates like he's dragging a dirty diaper in his pants.

I agree that Hamonic was having a good game until that punk injured him.  Too bad, hope he's back soon.....maybe just needs a tetanus shot.

7 hours ago, dr.naughtypants said:

Hamonic looked pretty hurt as he was making his way to the dressing room. OEL will hopefully return next game, so we should be alright. Right? lol

After that, who's next in line to play? The lack of depth on D is scary when you look at what's on the farm. Rathbone? Woo? 

I imagine the new GM regime is about to go to work.

Do not expect Stan and the group to make any trades. it is what it is till there is a qualified GM behind the desk.

6 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

We have lots of depth on the right side.  Schenn and Burroughs were both playing the left side tonight, so we are 5 deep on the right side.  The issue is the left side. We need a 3rd pairing LHD.  Don't want to bring Rathbone up.  I'd rather try Brisebois and see how he does.  Ultimately if we are to challenge for a playoff spot, Smyl and the team need to make at least one trade, maybe two.

Briesbois has done fine during previous callups. I wouldn't mind giving him a decent look to see if he can be an option for a 3rd pairing guy.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, -DLC- said:

I'd like someone to interfere with his face.   

Also:  he skates like he's dragging a dirty diaper in his pants.

I agree that Hamonic was having a good game until that punk injured him.  Too bad, hope he's back soon.....maybe just needs a tetanus shot.

Im with you 100%. Can't stand the way he intentionally plays dirty with no regard for player safety. What's worse is he is a complete coward and and will drop to the ice to avoid any legal hit.

I loved how Schenn on 3 different occasions, took an extra second to give Rat boy a little cross check. It's about all you can do with a weasel like that.

8 hours ago, dr.naughtypants said:

Hamonic looked pretty hurt as he was making his way to the dressing room. OEL will hopefully return next game, so we should be alright. Right? lol

After that, who's next in line to play? The lack of depth on D is scary when you look at what's on the farm. Rathbone? Woo? 

It was never as bad as the experts in the media said it was anyway.  OEL didn't start this game and we won.

Have a look around the league if you think our D when healthy is so thin.

7 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

We have lots of depth on the right side.  Schenn and Burroughs were both playing the left side tonight, so we are 5 deep on the right side.  The issue is the left side. We need a 3rd pairing LHD.  Don't want to bring Rathbone up.  I'd rather try Brisebois and see how he does.  Ultimately if we are to challenge for a playoff spot, Smyl and the team need to make at least one trade, maybe two.

Seems Green was getting the worst out of players. Rathbone will probably look just fine on his next callup. He's a very good skater. We need to reevaluate all of our D. Even Poolman looked ok

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

He is helping keep it stupid simple with our D too with the high flips when under pressure in our own zone which is probably the right call with this D-core too. Gotta do what you gotta do with what you got. Only Hughes/OEL can make good outlet passes consistently.

Just make sure Pearson isnt the one doing the flipping :lol:

8 hours ago, goblix said:

Hamonic was having a really good game was a little worried when he limped off.

Hunt probably gets a chance under a new coach before they go dipping into Abby

I do wonder if we could develop Rathbone in Abby to play on his off side right side. Guy has a wicked slapper which would be primed for use

Yuck Hunt? He is terrible. I think OEL will comeback friday so we wont need any changes. Just think of it as Hamonic having time off again :lol:

Stan Smyl is gonna make this team tough again. He's sat back for too long watching the softest team in the league for too long.

Up until the Bertuzzi Moore incident the Canucks were always tough gritty teams.

That was the turning point. Bert got traded, enter the Sedins as the core pieces and ya we were very skilled and successful but we were always soft. And it's been downhill ever since.

We had a few decent years with Rypien, Hordichuk, Raffi Torres but we got softer year after year and now we are Charmin soft.

Hopefully this finally changes 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

11 hours ago, dr.naughtypants said:

Is there any report yet on Hamonic? I guess they will wait till tomorrow to pull someone up from the farm, see what prognosis on everyone is.

42 minutes ago, BlakeQuinnAndEggs said:

Stan Smyl is gonna make this team tough again. He's sat back for too long watching the softest team in the league for too long.

Up until the Bertuzzi Moore incident the Canucks were always tough gritty teams.

That was the turning point. Bert got traded, enter the Sedins as the core pieces and ya we were very skilled and successful but we were always soft. And it's been downhill ever since.

We had a few decent years with Rypien, Hordichuk, Raffi Torres but we got softer year after year and now we are Charmin soft.

Hopefully this finally changes 

I'd be willing to wager Bieksa had more fights than Jovo and Bert combined. There was toughness and grit on that team. Many simple jump the whole team by the Sedins not being being scrappers. .

2 minutes ago, Baggins said:

I'd be willing to wager Bieksa had more fights than Jovo and Bert combined. There was toughness and grit on that team. Many simple jump the whole team by the Sedins not being being scrappers. .

You're right actually. That team was tough, but when all the chips were on the table in the SCF against Boston the toughness disappeared.

1 minute ago, BlakeQuinnAndEggs said:

You're right actually. That team was tough, but when all the chips were on the table in the SCF against Boston the toughness disappeared.

Too many injuries. Yet they still out shot and out hit the Bruins in game 7. I don't think they rolled over at all. That's just a projected perception due to losing. How about the WCE rolling over for Minny? honestly, I think it's nothing more than looking for somebody/something to blame.

9 minutes ago, Baggins said:

Too many injuries. Yet they still out shot and out hit the Bruins in game 7. I don't think they rolled over at all. That's just a projected perception due to losing. How about the WCE rolling over for Minny? honestly, I think it's nothing more than looking for somebody/something to blame.

Game 7 looked like a roll over to me. We might have outshot them, but Bruins had a lead to protect in the 3rd so its not surprising we outshot them. That series will forever haunt me until we win a cup or I die, probably the latter :unsure:

1 minute ago, Crabby said:

Game 7 looked like a roll over to me. We might have outshot them, but Bruins had a lead to protect in the 3rd so its not surprising we outshot them. That series will forever haunt me until we win a cup or I die, probably the latter :unsure:

Get over it. I have.

4 hours ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

It was never as bad as the experts in the media said it was anyway.  OEL didn't start this game and we won.

Have a look around the league if you think our D when healthy is so thin.

When healthy our D is decent with some good players but it's not the greatest D corps.

The point is that once a few guys get injured, which we are starting to see, we get thin on NHL talent fast.