The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks name Jim Rutherford as president & interim GM

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

24 minutes ago, erkayloomeh said:

Seems a little odd   Stan was the interim until we fund the interim.  Why  not just hire Rutherford as president? And leave smyl as interim. 

Because a new PHO needs to make his own decision on GM (interim or otherwise). 

7 minutes ago, erkayloomeh said:

In talking about extensions, how do they work? 

With JT for example he has a year left after this one I think.   So when can you start negotiating with him. ?  Because if it can't get done you want as much time as possible to try to trade him.

Extensions can be negotiated/signed at anytime. Lots of extensions signed while player is under current contract.

16 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

Vancouver, BC - Francesco Aquilini, Chairman and Governor NHL, Vancouver Canucks announced today that Jim Rutherford has been named President, Hockey Operations. Rutherford will also assume interim GM duties while he leads the search for a new General Manager.

Interim means temporary. Like Stan Smyl, it's not like he's our bona-fide GM with a 3 year contract ...

I feel weird  usually I’m the one talking crap about jim. 

so we got a new older Jim . 

An experienced POHO who I doubt will take any nonsense from ownership 

a solid coach with a solid proven system 

I like where this is going 

GM next up hope they are as patient and wait for the right guy again. Maybe Saturday give the paramedics a couple days in between. Meltdowns. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, lmm said:

that sounds terrible when you say he gave up a 1st for RR

however, Pitts won the cup that year 

and RR is the type of player the Canucks have been lacking since Brasheer left 20 years ago

Would Reaves have looked good in 2011? yes

So Rutherford gave up the 31 st 1st round pick and received the 51st second round pick and a Cup

I'd do that trade every year

The back-to-back Cups were before he acquired Reaves.  Reaves was acquired in summer 2017 and never made it to the playoffs with the Penguins.  

Rutherford traded him that same season at the 2018 TDL to acquire Brassard (gave up Reaves + 1st round pick who became K'Andre Miller + 3rd round pick).   Feels like an unnecessary trade but Rutherford hated how Crosby got hit in the head by Niskanen during their previous playoffs and decided to add toughness.  Sullivan hardly played Reaves (not even 7 minutes per game) so they traded him before the season was even up.  

• Thanks 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

The Canucks are a young group that has proven nothing yet. They would be like the Penguin's of 15 years back. There will be some big decisions to make as we are capped out and have two of our top players getting close to UFA status.

Hughes looks like a star player. Petey is struggling. They needed an experienced boss to guide this forward. They needed an experienced coach to evaluate the players.

Is Petey a number one center?

Do Bo and Miller fit into the long term?

Should Boeser be part of the long term plan?

How do we improve the D?

We are coming into two years with deep drafts. Should we be looking at this?

They need a long term plan put into place. 

15 minutes ago, aGENT said:

The core.

We have Pettersson, Boeser, Horvat, Garland, Hoglander, Podkolzin etc. We have a sea of decent depth prospects with chances to fill in depth roles, we have McDonagh, Klimovich etc as potential top/middle 6 prospects and we will continue to draft more players. This isn't static. The prospect pool doesn't just stop evolving from here.

Do we maybe tweak that at some point if it's not working? Maybe. Perhaps in a few years we move Garland as his contract is expiring for a younger, upcoming player and/or more size etc depending on what's needed.

Right now, what's largely needed is a #2RHD with size and solid 2 way play, a RH 3C and a big, gritty, 3LD to be a solid, deep team. Only one of those is exceedingly hard to get get.

Ah k. Yeah then it's just a difference of opinion. I think a prime Petey is a great core piece and Horvat (if under the right coach), but I think we still need a piece or two high end point getters to become cup contenders with rounded out depth. I'm not particularly sold on Boeser being a great core piece even when he is going and guys like Podz and Hoglander have great potential but they can also possibly not meet those potentials for me. 

It's decent, but is it Stanley Cup level decent if we were to acquire what you think we need? I'm not sure it's quite there yet. 

But it's all opinion anyways! Hopefully Boeser and Petey turn it around so we can see how it plays out! 

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, TFerguson said:

Smyl's a fan favorite which makes him a terrible candidate for GM (wouldn't stay a favorite for long...) Smyl should come out and speak a little more and remind the fans that some in mngmt share the same passion. That's all. He's a figure-head and an important one IMO

That's the thing about GM's, they're almost always fired. Does anyone really want to see the Canucks fire Smyl? 

• Cheers 2
  • Huggy Bear 2

just a quick bit

His first Stanley Cup came while leading the Carolina Hurricanes in 2006, and he also won the league's Jim Gregory GM of the year award in 2016. Rutherford was named to the Hockey Hall of Fame as a builder in 2019

Everyone should panic..lol 

Fear the guys that win awards and cups love the failures. The Vancouver way. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, erkayloomeh said:

In talking about extensions, how do they work? 

With JT for example he has a year left after this one I think.   So when can you start negotiating with him. ?  Because if it can't get done you want as much time as possible to try to trade him.

From section 50.5(f) of the CBA:

• A player can only sign an extension in the final year of their contract

• For players on a one-year contract, they need to wait until January 1

• There are limits to how much a contract extension can be worth, to prevent cap circumvention

2 minutes ago, combover said:

just a quick bit

His first Stanley Cup came while leading the Carolina Hurricanes in 2006, and he also won the league's Jim Gregory GM of the year award in 2016. Rutherford was named to the Hockey Hall of Fame as a builder in 2019

Everyone should panic..lol 

Fear the guys that win awards and cups love the failures. The Vancouver way. 

20 years of GMing before Pitt. Made the playoffs in 5 of those years 

1 hour ago, AV. said:

As opposed to whatever Benning would have done...toss a 1st for a rental to try and make playoffs and save his job?

The bar is extremely low here.  I doubt Rutherford falls below that bar.

Geezuz .... AV!  I'm Soooo not used to agreeing with you.  Makes me a little uneasy... You were my arch enemy!  Best Friends Good Job GIF by HBO Max

• Haha 2