The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks name Jim Rutherford as president & interim GM

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Just now, aGENT said:

Ewwww no.

I think it's between Miller and Boeser to get us the RHD. My vote is Miller.

3C might need to come via UFA.

3LD, as you say, shouldn't be insurmountable.

Yeah. Agreed. I think it's between Miller and Brock to be honest. If JR isn't going to move those two, then my vote is that the 2022 1st rounder is probably in play, but that really depends on where we're at and whether we're close enough to contend for a playoff spot. It's a risk, cause if JR deals that 2022 1st, and misses the playoffs, then potentially that team that acquires it could have a really good prospect, and Vancouver once again misses out on an incredible draft with some amazing prospects in a heavy draft. 

That said, I don't think JR is that crazy, though who knows. 

My vote comes to Brock being traded. His stock was so low, he's starting to get some points, and starting to get going. If he can get back to his offensive play like he did last season, then he's probably the one to move, for a few reasons. 

1. His health. He hasn't been able to keep healthy. 

2. He's streaky as &^@#. When he's not scoring, he's pretty much not doing much else (doesn't kill penalties, etc). 

3. His QO is 7.5M. We won't have room for that. So if he's not traded, we'll either need to qualify him for that one season, or trade his rights. I'd love to retain him for cheaper than his QO, but why would he do that? 

4. He could net us the most in return besides Miller. 

If I were GM, I'd trade Miller because I think he could get the most, even more than Brock can. It's sad, I want to keep Boeser, but I think at the end of the day, it's between him or JT, and Rutherford has gone on record to say that he likes JT. So read into that as you will, but if a President says they like a particular player, I don't think they'll move them. 

1 minute ago, Canucks Curse said:

I doubt they move miller, he seems to be have immediately become one of Bruce's boys

Gotta give to get. We have forward depth, we need D.

Love his heart and clutch play but Miller is the oldest, expiring soon contract, and his play is give and take (like the dumb penalty that allowed the Bruins to tie it late).

He might be the piece we need to lose to push forward.

We need more guys like him, but perhaps not him.

• Vintage 3

7 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

I agree those are our needs

To MIN

Peterssen

Boeser

Poolman

To VAN

Dumba

Greenway

Ek

Never going to happen.  Makes both team significantly worse. 

The Wild are also top of the West and building around Ek and Kaprizov.  

4 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Ewwww no.

I think it's between Miller and Boeser to get us the RHD. My vote is Miller.

3C might need to come via UFA.

3LD, as you say, shouldn't be insurmountable.

If there’s a time to trade Miller, it’s certainly not now. I’d rather use Boeser if we’re going to use him to acquire a top 4 D. 

Losing Miller now would create a huge suction on the roster. His absence will be felt, and I guarantee you this team will crumble. 

I hope Miller is a Canuck for life. I really do. Yes he does some real stupid $&!# on the ice, Bertuzzi esque, but this guy is a big time player. Come playoff time, if and when we get there, Miller is going to be that guy. 

Boeser makes the most sense if we’re going to trade a roster player. He’s going to command a lot of money soon, and I’m just not inclined to commit to another risky big contract.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Odd. said:

A rebuild would make no sense for this team. A re tool wouldn’t either. This core, with the proper guidance, can do well. A couple of tweaks for a gritty forward, a gritty LHD, and a top 4 RHD with some size and we could be money.

If we’re going to get a top 4 RHD, that’s easily a 2022 1st. No discussion. 

Look, it’s been 8 years. We hired Boudreau and now Rutherford. We played the long game, and we just out longed ourselves. Now it’s time to get serious. A couple of additions and let’s get this $&!# on the road. 

It's that but there's still some questions remain to seen.. will Podz keep up his trajectory? Will Klim? Those are 2 big ones right now and yeah D of course but are those 2 possible top 6 roster spots gone, with a good price tag especially since the cap is only going up a million...

Just now, iceman64 said:

You'd keep Flow over JT? from a team stand point, JT brings more than just goals... he makes the odd mistake but he's more a complete player not just a sniper. 

JT and Horvat are the only true centres this team has.

Unless BB can work magic and make Lammikko and Dickinson into useful centers. 

Sutter is a long hauler from Covid and may not even be able to play again. 

And we don't have much on the farm in case of centres. 

Once again, if Petey can turn into an all around forward and centre that would be fantastic. 

Maybe at the trade deadline if a team is desperate. But half the league has little to no cap space. 

So who's going to buy our expensive forwards/defencemen? 

You look at teams around the league, not many have 2 strong players playing down the middle. Miller is the foundation of the bridge that holds all of that top 6 together.

You take Miller away, all of that collapses. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Odd. said:

You look at teams around the league, not many have 2 strong players playing down the middle. Miller is the foundation of the bridge that holds all of that top 6 together.

You take Miller away, all of that collapses. 

We sure don't want things to collapse, what with two wins in a row and all. lol

12 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Gotta give to get. We have forward depth, we need D.

Love his heart and clutch play but Miller is the oldest, expiring soon contract, and his play is give and take (like the dumb penalty that allowed the Bruins to tie it late).

He might be the piece we need to lose to push forward.

We need more guys like him, but perhaps not him.

It's a good way of saying it. 

I agree with you in that he's the oldest, expiring contract soon. and I think he could get a max return in a trade. I think between him and Brock, most other teams are probably going to lean (if I had to guess) towards Miller than Boeser. 

11 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Not opposed to either. See above.

I think it would depend on how much Miller wants to hang here after he's done.  He's a heart and soul guy who you need in the playoffs.  He puts up points and he has grit.  

Boeser is most certainly the guy to trade for some help on D.  Agree you have to give to get and we also need cap space for better D.  Boeser is a great shooter and overall decent but he frequently needs the fire under his butt.  Miller produces the fire.

10 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

ok.. I'm opposed to dumping Miller, at that cap hit with his character?! For a top pairing D I'd be ok with but nothing short of that. He put up OV numbers for half the cost.. 

I'd correct you and say that only for a top pairing RHD.

Edited by N4ZZY

I'm expecting he'll do an initial assessment of the team based on input from surviving members of the management team and Boudreau.  Then he'll hire a GM and together they'll assess that assessment against the team's play.  After that it will most likely be hockey trades to fix the problems they've identified.  That's where his gunslinger mentality will either get us over the top or plunge us into another rebuild.  But he's going to take a legitimate shot at it with this core, which is the right thing to do, but won't be for the faint of heart.  Better get their professional scouting in tip top shape in preparation. 

• Cheers 1

I dont like Rutherford's past trades.... Isn't he basically an extreme version of Benning. Trading 1sts every year, and then some times making "hockey trades" + "retool" where you trade for 23-26 year olds like Kapanen, Zucker, Galchenyuk, McCain and almost all the time proves not to work. Pittsburgh is good because of Crosby, Malkin, Fleury and Letang. Not so much because of their management, draft and trades? 

The value he got for trading Kessel was horrible. 

Not sure I like how this is going... What is Aquilini thinking... does he not realize 1. Rutherford is basically just an extreme version of Benning without the positive things like drafting. 2. Our core is not a contender core. Pettersson is not Crosby, Kane, McDavid, not even close. 

At this point I wouldn't be surprised if Aquilini is just trying to prop up the team's value so he can sell it in 1-2 years. 

Edited by Drakrami
  • Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

15 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

You'd keep Flow over JT? from a team stand point, JT brings more than just goals... he makes the odd mistake but he's more a complete player not just a sniper. 

Odd mistake?

If you make a mistake every single game, no, every single period especially with the game on the line, it's not an odd mistake. It's mistake as usual.

I love Miller, because yeah, he's more a complete player compared to Brock. But he shouldn't get a pass for those lazy cross ice passes that result in turnovers. If he cleans up his usual mistakes, then we have a monster of a player. Then, it's a no brainer, we keep Miller over Brock all day.

I still hope there is a way to fit both of them in. For example, trade Myers with some sweetener to unload his cap. Or that the cap goes up in the next year or two.

I like what JT brings to the table but what I think some people are missing is… what makes you think he will want to stay here? He’s going to want to win and unless there’s a big turn around  here in the next year I bet he’s going to walk to the best bidder.  And I’m not talking about turn around in the sense that the Canucks become a a playoff team, I’m taking legit contender.  He will be on the cusp of 30, final big contract, and years to win start dwindling fast. 

while we all ( well most)  want him here , I’m not convinced he will want to stay. 

imagine the damage done if he walks for nothing…. Like a lot of other vets did 

Edited by Darius
  • Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

I dont like Rutherford's past trades.... Isn't he basically an extreme version of Benning. Trading 1sts every year, and then some times making "hockey trades" + "retool" where you trade for 23-26 year olds like Kapanen, Galchenyuk, McCain and almost all the time proves not to work. Pittsburgh is good because of Crosby, Malkin, Fleury and Letang. Not so much because of their management, draft and trades? 

The value he got for trading Kessel was horrible. 

Not sure I like how this is going... 

who cares, he got them 2 cups. I’ll make a fufu trade if I can get a player that would bring us closer to a cup.

14 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

ok.. I'm opposed to dumping Miller, at that cap hit with his character?! For a top pairing D I'd be ok with but nothing short of that. He put up OV numbers for half the cost.. 

Well yes exactly. I'm not moving Miller for a bottom pair D. Not do I think this happens any time soon. TDL at the earliest, more likely summer. And a while lot of other things falling in to place. And yes, Boeser is an option as well.

• Cheers 1