The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks name Jim Rutherford as president & interim GM

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

19 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Who he hires will, say alot about JR's plan moving forward but his hiring confirms FA's, intention to go all in with this core.   Hope we don't see a Gillis 2.0 scenario, if this gamble doesn't pan out and they have to re tool or re build.

It sounds like he is going to hire a young guy that he can mentor.

"Names like Laurence Gilman, John Ferguson Jr., Chris MacFarland, Scott Mellanby and Kevin Weekes are names that come to mind. Not all of them have been linked to the Canucks, but they are all progressive GMs that would be perfect fits under Rutherford".  There is also talk of him mentoring former Canuck players Ryan Johnson, Henrik and  Daniel Sedin.

Mostly speculation, but it makes some sense given the short term contracts for Boudreau and Rutherford.

I'm still in the 'wait and see' mode concerning the Rutherford signing, but like you have said, who he hires; especially the gm, will show what his intentions really are.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, higgyfan said:

It sounds like he is going to hire a young guy that he can mentor.

"Names like Laurence Gilman, John Ferguson Jr., Chris MacFarland, Scott Mellanby and Kevin Weekes are names that come to mind. Not all of them have been linked to the Canucks, but they are all progressive GMs that would be perfect fits under Rutherford".  There is also talk of him mentoring former Canuck players Ryan Johnson, Henrik and  Daniel Sedin.

Mostly speculation, but it makes some sense given the short term contracts for Boudreau and Rutherford.

I'm still in the 'wait and see' mode concerning the Rutherford signing, but like you have said, who he hires; especially the gm, will show what his intentions really are.

Yeah, I am also just waiting for the next stone to drop

As for hiring JR, I am not really keen on it cause he seems to be an impatient person and a quick deep dive on his, history as GM confirm this trait. Imo, he is the right person for this roster cause the core is young & ready to compete; and if the Canucks, were rebuilding, he wouldn't be the right person.  Hope Aquaman, will have learn some important lessons, that will remind him of, his very important role as 'stewards' of the Canucks.

36 minutes ago, bad alice french said:

Guys on Sportsnet 650 today were saying Brock might be first up in the crosshairs. Another indictment on Benning might be this signing in hindsight. That qualifying number is gonna be a huge gut check for management. I've always been a bit unsure about Brock's top end potential but I Love him as a player and teammate.

On a side note I'm really noticing how Brock and J.T seem to be really dialled and tight of late. I was wondering if there may have been some bad vibes between those two in the past but it seems during Brock's last two PP goal cellies that they are pumped playing for each other. Kind of leads back into what you're saying about Petey. I hope he feels connected with the rest of the team because loners are always seen as awkward dressing room/team guys (Dougie Hamilton).

Just saying.

Boudreau did emphasize, in his presser that one of his main talent is how he reads a room.   

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Canucks playing aggressive and fast hockey under coach B and still managing to play with skill, it's like the skill can work even better at high speeds.

Petey has been flying out there, looking really good, the points will start coming soon for EP40.  I like his line with Garland and Podz.  

Dickenson on Horvat's wing looks promising.  

As for Rutherford.  We'll see what he does.  I like most of the players on our JB built team.  

49 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

Boeser is just starting to find his game here again and Petey's value is extremely low right now. No team would trade for Petey right now due to the ask alone vs how he has been playing.

No team? i doubt that very much imo

1 hour ago, ShawnAntoski said:

I don't really remember any player endorsing Green cause I am still wondering what was the justification for re-signing a coach with such a mediocre record.  As for Horvat, if he ever did such a stunt: I am not sure, what  compelled him to do so ?   Anyways, it was fairly obvious (from my POV), that most of the players had grown tired of his antics.

Completely agree. With many of the players visibly disgruntled this year, I sheepishly started to believe the media when they started spouting the B.S. about locker room conflict, Hovat and Miller etc. When really the issue was players had mentally tuned out coaching.

• Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, Canuck Luck said:

How long until we see who the replacements are?

Two hours?

Gilman incoming?

I suspect Botterill will be involved, I think as assistant GM/capologist. I have a weird feeling that Mellanby, Futa or MacFarland will be the new GM. 

If Botterill is hired as GM, then I have no idea who the assistant will be. I didn’t like Botterill as a GM, but he’s got some of the most experience in that role out of the names being mentioned. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, mll said:

Interesting, since this almost certainly means that the team will be hiring a lawyer and an analytics/data expert, to replace Gear and Wall, respectively.

Doesn’t necessarily hint at the profile of the next GM, as new hires could replace Gear and Wall at their vacated positions, but it certainly “clears the decks” for a certain type of GM to come in (and one that I would welcome).

Something that was mentioned today was that the players had said that they weren't sure what Shaw's job was. So Green didn't seem to put him to use.

The other thing that I heard was to do with how the Canucks used analytics. There is a lot of teams using analytics for player deployment and some of the things that Green was doing was old school. Other teams were destroying them because of it. So it seems .Then there is their poor line changes. Other teams were using that to their advantage. 

We might see some new analytics people come in.

• Cheers 1

What I wanted from the team was to tear down the structure, hire an experienced POHO and rebuild the organization from ground up.  

Not sure Rutherford is who I would have chosen but he sure seems to have trained a lot of the GMs around the league and knows what Hockey Ops should look like.

Can't quibble about the details I guess.  Got the coach I favoured so this feels like an overall success and will be very interested to see who else comes in. 

Still would love to see some diversity but when you are looking for experience in hockey there isn't any. 

• Like 1
  • Wat 1

1 minute ago, 73 Percent said:

&^@# iMac and drance. Useless turds like these are the reason for turmoil in this franchise. 

iMac is awful. I don’t know why people give him any respect. He’s the one who was writing stories in the province about things he heard in the dressing room. Anyone who has played ANY level of serious hockey knows that rule #1, is you don’t talk about what happens in a dressing room, outside of the room. Always thought iMac was a snivelling little rat.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Stfu iMac. 

Rutherford doesn't even have a week in and iMac throws shade at him. What was happening wasn't working here. Why shouldn't he change everything. 

Did he just expect to stay the course of perennial ass?

Seems like you comprehended that release from iMac way differently than I did.

I see absolutely no "shade" being thrown anywhere. iMac is purely speculating that the two newest firings were from aquaman and not JR. 

Just my thoughts.

• Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

Completely agree. With many of the players visibly disgruntled this year, I sheepishly started to believe the media when they started spouting the B.S. about locker room conflict, Hovat and Miller etc. When really the issue was players had mentally tuned out coaching.

Yeah, I remember how cringey, those interviews and the responses were to dispel the notion, of a locker room rift.  Guess, the stunt didn't work cause there play on the ice contradicted those interviews.   

Funny thing: that was only a few weeks ago and they never really pressed, Miller, EP, Boes & QH about the issue.

Edited by ShawnAntoski