The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks name Jim Rutherford as president & interim GM

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

43 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

It was gonna be Allvin the whole time.

JR just going through the motions to make it appear like a thorough search.

This honestly worries me a bit if this is the outcome. It would then beg the question:

Is he hiring the best GM for the Canucks?

or

Is he hiring the best GM for Rutherford?

Part of our problems in the past have stemmed from favoritism or personal connections getting people jobs instead of getting those best available. If Allvin is the best there is, then by all means we should hire him, but it gives me pause considering their closely shared past history together.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JM_ said:

do you really think he'd waste his time and others like that?

Well there’s other people involved in the process so he would have to appear to be unbiased.

I think he had his mind made up very early on though. His immediate hiring of Clancey shows he wants a team he’s familiar with

21 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Well there’s other people involved in the process so he would have to appear to be unbiased.

I think he had his mind made up very early on though. His immediate hiring of Clancey shows he wants a team he’s familiar with

if anything, I'd argue his immediate hiring of clancey is an indicator that if he was determined to just stock up with people he already knew, he would have done so ... immediately. 

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Its also possible that PA is the best person available. At least he's taking his time and interviewing a lot of people. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

27 minutes ago, JM_ said:

Its also possible that PA is the best person available. At least he's taking his time and interviewing a lot of people. 

Also as discussed previously in this thread it's a puzzle finding the right mix of people, so some of it might be related to who the other AGMs will be  (who's available and interested and so on), it's not just about being the best candidate for GM (which in itself has no clear cut definition and depends on a number of factors).

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

4 hours ago, Jester13 said:

Seems to me like we might get all of them as GM and assistant GMs. 

Rutherford

Allvin

Johnson

Mellanby

Clancy

Boudreau

Walker

Shaw

King

Not too shabby.

Could very well be what happens, it'll be interesting. Because while the GM is obviously important, doesn't JR want several AGM's? And he's only hired one if I'm remembering correctly?

Once the GM is decided I imagine the rest will fall into place quickly. 

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Could very well be what happens, it'll be interesting. Because while the GM is obviously important, doesn't JR want several AGM's? And he's only hired one if I'm remembering correctly?

Once the GM is decided I imagine the rest will fall into place quickly. 

Reports are that he wants three AGMs.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Reports are that he wants three AGMs.

Three eh? I thought it was four, but I'm glad it's more than two! Having a president with decades of experience and three AGM's to support our rookie GM should help stabilize things one would think. And it'd be better to have management in place sooner than later, I don't imagine JR's going to be evaluating too much longer. 

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, StanleyCupOneDay said:

This honestly worries me a bit if this is the outcome. It would then beg the question:

Is he hiring the best GM for the Canucks?

or

Is he hiring the best GM for Rutherford?

Part of our problems in the past have stemmed from favoritism or personal connections getting people jobs instead of getting those best available. If Allvin is the best there is, then by all means we should hire him, but it gives me pause considering their closely shared past history together.

I was hoping for MacFarland (Colorado) or Tulsky (Carolina) if we can’t have Yzerman.

• Cheers 1

On 1/15/2022 at 5:23 PM, DefCon1 said:

Horvat for Crouse and Chychurun?

Boeser for Klingberg

get Toffoli

Crouse-Miller-Toffoli

Hoglander-Pettersson-Garland

Podkolzin-Dickenson-Klim

Motte-Lammikho-Lockwood

Hughes-Klingberg

OEL-Chychurun

Rathbone-Myers

Demko

DiPietro

The offense doesnt lose much but the D becomes elite all of a sudden.

uuhh Horvat is no where close to getting you Crouse & Chychrun lol.  Come on!!!

:picard:

On 1/8/2022 at 9:15 PM, BlakeQuinnAndEggs said:

The penguins have had some terrible stretches too, don't kid yourself. Before they drafted sid gino and fleury they were perennial bottom feeders after mario retired.

If there’s any executives from an organization that I wouldn’t mind poaching, it would be Tampa Bay. 

Or wherever Steve Yzerman lands. Pat Verbeek? Where’s the word on him in terms of being the potential GM for the Canucks? 

10 hours ago, -Moose said:

Sean Burke has also recently come up as a candidate and apparently interviewed very well

https://thehockeywriters.com/canucks-gm-candidates-allvin-mellanby-burke/

Ya no.  I'm good.  

First off, beata his wife or did.  Secondly his managerial or staffing rolls were Arizona and Montreal.

Pass

• Thanks 1