The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Coyotes gauging market on Jakob Chychrun

1 hour ago, Phat Fingers said:

So OEL left and Chyckrun had to take over those assignments and has struggled.   He lost forwards and was promoted to the harder minutes.  

He is young, but at this point still in doubt and do we need him with Hughes on the team if the price is that high?  Could a player be had for that price that fits our needs better if the farm is sold?  

Just don’t want to lose out on a bad Jack Johnson hype train type of situation.  If Chyckrun can raise his game to the situation then he is worth the asking price.  If not that’s a lot pay for a second pairing LHD when Hughes is ahead of him, provided OEL and Chyckrun end up in Vancouver from the coyotes in the same year… 

that’s not going to happen.  

He’s struggling offensively, because he’s forced to play in his own end, playing shutdown minutes, a lot. Out of all the defensemen in the league who has played over 500+ minutes. He’s 7th in defensive zone starts and has the 27th lowest offensive zone starts, just ahead of OEL.

His xGA/60 (expected goals against per 60mins) is better than all of our defensemen, aside from OEL and Myers. That is pretty astounding considering his league’s worst -/+ and Arizona being 31st in goals against. 

Myers/OEL:

Spoiler

spacer.png

Hughes: 

Spoiler

image.png.861f6ecc1069e3d59a3cad41295d5ca2.png

As I mentioned in a earlier post, if we were to acquire Chychrun. I would probably move OEL, even though he’s has had a resurgence season with us defensively. IMO, he doesn’t fit our core age group like Chychrun does. Plus, the tail end of his contract would be a wrench in our future cap space.

Edited by shiznak
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, shiznak said:

He’s struggling offensively, because he’s forced to play in his own end, playing shutdown minutes, a lot. Out of all the defensemen in the league who has played over 500+ minutes. He’s 7th in defensive zone starts and has the 27th lowest offensive zone starts, just ahead of OEL.

His xGA/60 (expected goals against per 60mins) is better than all of our defensemen, aside from OEL and Myers. That is pretty astounding considering his league’s worst -/+ and Arizona being 31st in goals against. 

Myers/OEL:

Reveal hidden contents

spacer.png

Hughes: 

Reveal hidden contents

As I mentioned in a earlier post, if we were to acquire Chychrun. I would probably move OEL, even though he’s has had a resurgence season with us defensively. IMO, he doesn’t fit our core age group like Chychrun does. Plus, the tail end of his contract would be a wrench in our future cap space.

That’s the thing, why move OEL?  

it’s a lateral move for the next 4 years.  And in the short term, what does Chyckrun do better defending that OEL when used in similar circumstances?  

We should be building this group, not tearing it down. 

so in the end, we would ship out OEL and Rathbone and Brock and picks for Chyckrun. 

is that even workable?  

what would we gain in terms of on ice success and growth by making that move?  

• Like 1

Myers/OEL:

Reveal hidden contents

spacer.png

Hughes: 

Reveal hidden contents

7 points and minus 30.

And you would give up assets for this guy?

:lol:

On 12/15/2021 at 11:02 AM, Canucks Curse said:

you know who'd look great playing top 4 RHD on the nucks?.... that guy on WPG... Nathan Schmidt... oh wait

Still pissed we traded* him and only for a 3rd too....

Edited by TNucks1

Realistically we could nab Chychrun with a deal based around Rathbone and a pick, maybe Rathbone + 2nd + roster player like Hoglander or Pearson if they want him?

Sure it'd sting, but thats essentially a future top 4 (uncertain though) defenceman, top-6 now and future gritty winger and a good chance at a long term NHLer for a good gamble at a top-2 current and future defenceman.

Log-jam at LHD, sure, but OEL will start slowing down and having Chychrun and Hughes playing 22-24 minutes a night really gives us some of the best depth on LHD.

I'd do this deal if it was Rathbone, a 2nd and Pearson in a heart beat, Hogs makes things a bit trickier but certainly more even for Arizona.

• Wat 2

10 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Realistically we could nab Chychrun with a deal based around Rathbone and a pick, maybe Rathbone + 2nd + roster player like Hoglander or Pearson if they want him?

Haha give your head a shake and maybe you will wake up.

NHL teams don't trade first pair big young defense men on good contracts for an AHL player, a 2nd rd pick and a middle nine forward. Good god.  :picard:

On 12/15/2021 at 10:24 AM, rekker said:

I would love Chycrhun but am leary of an overpay. What is he? The Norris nominee type of last year or a player that struggles with consistency like other years. The ask would be our first, maybe Hogs or Pods. Not all of that but those pieces. I'm for trading that first but not sure if Chyc is the one. Our first and dump Pearson for Chyc has me intrigued though.

Someone said Jack Johnson 2.0 risk. I tend to agree. Myers was one of these hypes too.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, x00x said:

Chycrhun is -29  , thats pretty bad

To be fair, Quinn finished -24 last year on a team that wasn't nearly historically bad like Chyc is on. Not giving him a pass, because indeed -29 is terrible, but I think he's a much better player then that number may indicate.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

That’s the thing, why move OEL?  

it’s a lateral move for the next 4 years.  And in the short term, what does Chyckrun do better defending that OEL when used in similar circumstances?  

We should be building this group, not tearing it down. 

so in the end, we would ship out OEL and Rathbone and Brock and picks for Chyckrun. 

is that even workable?  

what would we gain in terms of on ice success and growth by making that move?  

It’s not a lateral move if you believe, in 3 years, that a 34 yrs old is going to keep up with his current workload and outperform a 26 yrs old.

It’s not a lateral move if you believe, in 3 years, that a 34 yrs old is going to keep up with his current workload and outperform a 26 yrs old.

OEL has great skating and you want to look at the next three years, if Chyckrun regresses or struggles… Is he the next Jack Johnson or is he a better player.  

OEL is here already, so it’s not like I have a choice, plus we don’t have to surrender picks to get OEL.  That’s done.. 

I have to ask, Chyckrun is in an RFA situation and the coyotes are rebuilding… if he is the next big D man, why would they deal him?  They need him way more than we do… or anyone else.  

he has a far amount of injuries in his early days.  

not against the player, but the price and the left side is full.  

teams don’t go out and get players and deal them halfway thru the first season.. 

we can’t get all the players.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

5 hours ago, shiznak said:

A 33 year old OEL (he just turned 30, and will only be 35 when his contract finishes) will still be better than Chychscrub.  Can you say seven points and minus 30?  

6 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

OEL has great skating and you want to look at the next three years, if Chyckrun regresses or struggles… Is he the next Jack Johnson or is he a better player.  

OEL is here already, so it’s not like I have a choice, plus we don’t have to surrender picks to get OEL.  That’s done.. 

I have to ask, Chyckrun is in an RFA situation and the coyotes are rebuilding… if he is the next big D man, why would they deal him?  They need him way more than we do… or anyone else.  

teams don’t go out and get players and deal them halfway thru the first season.. 

the price for our next top pairing d is, well has to be really, either Miller, or Boeser +.

AZ might have interest in Boeser, but he might even be too old for their complete shameless tear down.

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

A 33 year old OEL (he just turned 30, and will only be 35 when his contract finishes) will still be better than Chychscrub.  Can you say seven points and minus 30?  

I don't want us to get Chyckrun either, as the price will be too high. But his +/- stats are misleading imo. Look at Sakic, his +/- was brutal in his first three years, but like Chyckrun he was on a terrible team as well.

14 hours ago, Shayster007 said:

What's this teams version of that? Motte, Myers and a 2nd?

Motte > Raymond IMO (Motte fits a different role and is good at that).  Who's the bambi of this team as Raymond would fall down all the time?!!!

Myers > Ballard for sure too.  He may be a bit overpaid, but I have no problem with Myers on this team.

Truthfully, and thankfully, there really aren't comparables to Ballard and Raymond. If we had Juolevi still, we would have ourselves a closer match, but for now this is all I have:

Burroughs + Chiasson + a 2nd. 

Edited by NHL97OneTimer

32 minutes ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

Motte > Raymond IMO (Motte fits a different role and is good at that).  Who's the bambi of this team as Raymond would fall down all the time?!!!

Myers > Ballard for sure too.  He may be a bit overpaid, but I have no problem with Myers on this team.

Truthfully, and thankfully, there really aren't comparables to Ballard and Raymond. If we had Juolevi still, we would have ourselves a closer match, but for now this is all I have:

Burroughs + Chiasson + a 2nd. 

My thought process was more overlayed defensemen, bottom 6 forward and pick. But personally I don't know about Motte vs Raymond. Raymond was a 50 point player in his prime. They definitely filled differently roles, but I'd argue their trade value was pretty similar when raymond was always being added to those trades. A 2nd or 3rd round pick.

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

What is more likely to happen within 3 years, a 26-yrs old in his prime years regressing or a 33-yrs old, entering the tail end of his career, regressing? 

Edited by shiznak