The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Coyotes gauging market on Jakob Chychrun

2 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Aye, those are the pieces that'd make it a big haul for me. They do have other pieces though, absolutely. 

Could see them being willing to part with some combination made up of a 1st, 2nd, Turcotte, Grans, that sort of thing. Maybe young players currently in the NHL like Kaliyev or Kupari. Maybe a prospect like Pinelli. 

Wouldn't be surprised to see Chychrun end up in Ottawa though, they've expressed interest in the past and he'd fit their age group well too. Chabot could certainly use the help. 

LA also have a few prospects who become waiver eligible next season.  Samuel Fagemo and Akil Thomas were 2nd round picks.  Björnfot was a 1st rounder but they might see him replacing Edler on the 3rd pairing next season. LA has to clear cap to fit him in but they don't have any obvious UFAs other than Lemieux but 1.3M is not sufficient.

Boston and Calgary are apparently the other 2 teams rumoured still to be in the mix. 

It's the Superbowl on Sunday so trade news re Chychrun might have to wait for Monday.

Edited by mll

9 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

We'd have to cough up a trade with something like what Bo got us but each piece would have to be better. High 1st + top player + top prospect.

So one of our 1sts, Boeser and Rathbone

Why would Arizona have an interest in Boeser?  They are tanking and want to spend as little as possible - he makes 6.65M for another 2 seasons.  He doesn't even fit their timeline.   They are likely well aware that the Canucks are trying to move him.  Armstrong is more than willing to help teams cap wise but he wants draft picks in return.  

19 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Looking into it a bit more, Toronto get their guy, a stud young defenceman who can play well defensively for many years to come and they get a pretty good 3rd line center who may be 30 but is having a heck of a season.

They lose a very good young defenceman who is probably top-4 worthy (Sandin), an older guy in Holl who is basically a 5th guy over there, Robertson who's an undersized but young winger who hasn't had an opportunity so is very much an unknown (former 2nd rounder), Engvall who's a decent third line big tough winger who's been scoring well this season and...wow...two firsts.

That's essentially the value of 3 firsts (two picks + Sandin), a 2nd (Robertson), then Holl and Engvall for Chychrun + an old 3rd line center.

Got to pay value to get value back I suppose, that's a big investment in Chychrun, I don't see any GM doing this though - you very rarely see so many players go one way and just one or two the other.

Edited by DownUndaCanuck

3 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Looking into it a bit more, Toronto get their guy, a stud young defenceman who can play well defensively for many years to come and they get a pretty good 3rd line center who may be 30 but is having a heck of a season.

They lose a very good young defenceman who is probably top-4 worthy (Sandin), an older guy in Holl who is basically a 5th guy over there, Robertson who's an undersized but young winger who hasn't had an opportunity so is very much an unknown (former 2nd rounder), Engvall who's a decent third line big tough winger who's been scoring well this season and...wow...two firsts.

That's essentially the value of 3 firsts (two picks + Sandin), a 2nd (Robertson), then Holl and Engvall for Chychrun + an old 3rd line center.

Got to pay value to get value back I suppose, that's a big investment in Chychrun.

I think it's fake but that is a good analogy of the trade nonetheless...   ^_^

Realistically I think he'll probably be traded over the next 24 hours anyway, and Toronto makes sense.

Value-wise he's surely worth a good 3-4 first round picks. Those guys listed above make sense (I was eyeing them if we were to trade Myers to them) because they fill a tertiary role and really just go back for cap purposes. The other thing is Chychrun's cap hit is somehow 4.6M, when he's playing like a 7M guy. That in itself is worth a 1st or 2nd because you've got the cap for another 3.5M roster player there, say a 3rd liner. Bargain of a contract.

Realistically one of Kerfoot or Engvall have to go back plus a defenceman (Sandin or Liljegren, whichever one they don't like anymore, they're both around the same right now) plus a bunch of picks.

I could see something like Kerfoot + Sandin (that fits cap-wise) + a first this year and a first next year for Chychrun. That seems fair. Absolutely wrecks their future but Chychrun is still relatively young and has a good decade of top-4 hockey in him.

If Toronto want to get greedy and nab Bjugstad as well, he's on a bargain 900K cap hit and scoring 0.5PPG so would be a great 3rd line center for them, but they'll surely have to cough up a fair bit more. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Realistically I think he'll probably be traded over the next 24 hours anyway, and Toronto makes sense.

Value-wise he's surely worth a good 3-4 first round picks. Those guys listed above make sense (I was eyeing them if we were to trade Myers to them) because they fill a tertiary role and really just go back for cap purposes. The other thing is Chychrun's cap hit is somehow 4.6M, when he's playing like a 7M guy. That in itself is worth a 1st or 2nd because you've got the cap for another 3.5M roster player there, say a 3rd liner. Bargain of a contract.

Realistically one of Kerfoot or Engvall have to go back plus a defenceman (Sandin or Liljegren, whichever one they don't like anymore, they're both around the same right now) plus a bunch of picks.

I could see something like Kerfoot + Sandin (that fits cap-wise) + a first this year and a first next year for Chychrun. That seems fair. Absolutely wrecks their future but Chychrun is still relatively young and has a good decade of top-4 hockey in him.

If Toronto want to get greedy and nab Bjugstad as well, he's on a bargain 900K cap hit and scoring 0.5PPG so would be a great 3rd line center for them, but they'll surely have to cough up a fair bit more. 

I actually think it is a realistic trade for Toronto and Arizona would take it.  Toronto only has one more year of Matthews before he might leave, and two more years of Tavares and Marner.  If they don't win a cup or even a playoff round I think all of those guys are gone, so trading for Chychrun and going all in for the next 2 years makes sense.  Maybe Matthews sticks around if they trade for Chychrun.  I think the trade happens tomorrow, so we will see what happens.

Last night Chychrun was sat due to a trade possibility.

Scares the hell out of me because of the Tocchet connection to Arizona and what they want in a trade.

Two firsts, Canucks have two, player, Canucks have plenty and a AAA prospect, Canucks just got one and may have two others.

And a huge Canuck need is for a defenceman

Allvin was very explicit about mentioning his thoughts that the Horvat trade was for equivalent of three first rounders. That statement at the time was odd to me and just trying to soften Horvat being traded but now ......

Should not have to wait long to see if the player the Canucks could have taken cost 3 times as much now

Big rumour is LA but until the deal is done.

Chychrun would be a horrible trade for the Canucks, he hasn't played a whole season yet and doesn't have outstanding stats even for being on Arizona.

Edited by ToTellTheTruth

1 hour ago, ToTellTheTruth said:

Last night Chychrun was sat due to a trade possibility.

Scares the hell out of me because of the Tocchet connection to Arizona and what they want in a trade.

Two firsts, Canucks have two, player, Canucks have plenty and a AAA prospect, Canucks just got one and may have two others.

And a huge Canuck need is for a defenceman

Allvin was very explicit about mentioning his thoughts that the Horvat trade was for equivalent of three first rounders. That statement at the time was odd to me and just trying to soften Horvat being traded but now ......

Should not have to wait long to see if the player the Canucks could have taken cost 3 times as much now

Big rumour is LA but until the deal is done.

Chychrun would be a horrible trade for the Canucks, he hasn't played a whole season yet and doesn't have outstanding stats even for being on Arizona.

He is not coming here let alone mid season to a tanking team. 

Only a desperate gm whose job is on the line will barren the depth to acquire Chychrun before the TDL. Allvin has some job security so he won’t give up the depth just to acquire an LD.  

• Like 1