The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks hire Derek Clancey as assistant GM

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Really looking forward to the Draft and seeing what type of players this new group will be drafting. 

Benning did draft some very good players over the years, such as:

Demko

Boeser

Pettersson

Rathbone

Hughes

Podkolzin

Hoglander

Klimovich

Will this new group draft as well?  

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

You have hard proof of nothing as you have no idea how much input he actually had on who they selected.

The days of amateur hour in the front office are over. I know we are used to a front office where Benning and Weisbrod micromanaged every department to the nth degree but well structured front offices don’t do that. They put people in roles and let them do their jobs.

Overseeing amateur scouting doesn’t mean doing the scouting yourself (unless you are Weisbrod). It means organizing the scouting department to effectively do their jobs for max benefit to the organization.

We have nothing to worry about. We will get to see what a proper front office structure can do.

The attitude for some on here is:

It is new

We are frightened.

^_^

• Cheers 1

14 hours ago, mll said:

He will also be overseeing the amateur side.

From the press release:  Derek Clancey, 52, joins the Canucks after working most of his NHL career with the Pittsburgh Penguins between 2007 and 2021. As Assistant GM, Clancey will work closely with Rutherford and will oversee the Canucks professional and amateur scouting staffs.

Yes, but he wasn’t involved in amateur scouting with Pittsburgh. So looking at Pittsburgh’s past draft record, is not a constructive way to judge him.

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Just wondering, who is the source of the rumour cause I heard the samething, as well ?

SA I'm not 100% certain but I think it was sn650 after Jeff Marek show. So around noon.  Marek show runs 9am to 11am. After that it's the local guys. 

I was medicated had radio on so I'm not 100% but I know they were saying word is starting to leak out that it was Benning and Wisebroad on the in side and the rest of the management staff on the outside. 

Pretty much those two ran everything and knew everything.. everyone else was out of the loop..

I remember hearing that and thinking about Stan Smyl. I'm thinking that guy is original Captain Canuck and he's 1 man who deserves to be respected enough to be atleast consulted and kept in the loop no matter who runs this team.  Just from a matter of respect...

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, tas said:

one agm overseeing both scouting departments isn't unusual. 

1 hour ago, arsenalian said:

Yes, but he wasn’t involved in amateur scouting with Pittsburgh. So looking at Pittsburgh’s past draft record, is not a constructive way to judge him.

So hopefully he brings his experience of what NOT to do on the amateur scouting side from Pittsburgh. 

41 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

SA I'm not 100% certain but I think it was sn650 after Jeff Marek show. So around noon.  Marek show runs 9am to 11am. After that it's the local guys. 

I was medicated had radio on so I'm not 100% but I know they were saying word is starting to leak out that it was Benning and Wisebroad on the in side and the rest of the management staff on the outside. 

Pretty much those two ran everything and knew everything.. everyone else was out of the loop..

I remember hearing that and thinking about Stan Smyl. I'm thinking that guy is original Captain Canuck and he's 1 man who deserves to be respected enough to be atleast consulted and kept in the loop no matter who runs this team.  Just from a matter of respect...

One positive is that, perhaps unlike under Benning/Weisbrod, I really don’t get the sense that Smyl is being sidelined at all by Rutherford. They’re sitting side by side in the box during games. Stan retains basically the same title and position he had under the former regime (Senior Advisor, Canucks Hockey and Business Operations), but I have a feeling that he’s much more active today in that “advisor” capacity than he was under the the old management. I also think he’s much more comfortable in that role, rather than being put out front as interim GM, or brought in as an AGM in the new regime. So long as he has a voice and a role behind the scenes, I think Smyl is happy. He’s the ultimate team guy, and he stepped up for the organization when he was needed, but I don’t think he ever wanted to be GM (or AGM). As an advisor, however, he should definitely be a valuable resource for Rutherford and the incoming management staff. 

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
Typos and autocorrects
  • Like 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

I wanna miss the playoffs barely this year and win the lottery so we're one of those hahah f you teams like the hawks or canes who just lucked in to a lottery win they couldn't miss with and tore it up under new management and coaching

Not gonna happen if barely miss playoffs .

New rules, Only bottom 11 teams are eligible for the 1st overall pick. 

2 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Yeah, the leaked divide was a very convenient story, to justify the firing of JB & Weisbrod.  Anyways, that is the past and looking forward to how the new crew will perform

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Yeah, the leaked divide was a very convenient story, to justify the firing of JB & Weisbrod.  Anyways, that is the past and looking forward to how the new crew will perform

That dynamic has been the worst kept secret for years now. Has nothing to do with manufacturing a reason to fire Benning and Weisbrod.

1 minute ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Which is exactly how a PoHO and GM relationship should be. Accountability is important.

it sounds like JR is a collaborative leader though, so yes the buck stops with him but it sounds like everyone gets a chance to input too. Good way to keep talent around and loyal. What a thought.