The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] JT Miller, is he tradeable?

HKSR

Regardless of what happens with Pettersson we're still going to have to make moves to upgrade the rest of the roster and that cap space is going to have to come from somewhere. We're better off hoping he bounces back than trying to trade him, if we try to move Pettersson we'd be selling low and it'd be awfully painful to see him bounce back with another team. 

Which brings us back to Miller and Boeser, because I'm firmly of the opinion that Horvat should be retained. If he's gotta play 1C next season while Pettersson gets his legs under him so be it. Bo would already be a 1C on some weaker teams. Utilize one or both of the former to get younger, bring in picks/prospects, and give us flex to restructure the roster. 

I've liked our battle level the last couple games, but it's clear we've got holes and we've got a ways to go before we're among the cream of the league. We'll see how the rest of the road trip goes, but my stance regarding building around the young core hasn't changed. 

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Regardless of what happens with Pettersson we're still going to have to make moves to upgrade the rest of the roster and that cap space is going to have to come from somewhere. We're better off hoping he bounces back than trying to trade him, if we try to move Pettersson we'd be selling low and it'd be awfully painful to see him bounce back with another team. 

Which brings us back to Miller and Boeser, because I'm firmly of the opinion that Horvat should be retained. If he's gotta play 1C next season while Pettersson gets his legs under him so be it. Bo would already be a 1C on some weaker teams. Utilize one or both of the former to get younger, bring in picks/prospects, and give us flex to restructure the roster. 

I've liked our battle level the last couple games, but it's clear we've got holes and we've got a ways to go before we're among the cream of the league. We'll see how the rest of the road trip goes, but my stance regarding building around the young core hasn't changed. 

Demko, Petey, Quinn.  JR will build around these three.  

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Demko, Petey, Quinn.  JR will build around these three.  

I'd toss Hoglander and Podz in there too, more so Podz than Hoglander though if it comes down to it 

Even your statement speaks to the state of our defense and prospect pool though, we've got some decent prospects and I'm not trying to knock them, but Hughes is really the only notable young D we've got on our depth chart 

15 hours ago, aGENT said:

Meh, it's a set back I guess, but we still have other moves to make at C anyway. And I think Petey will be fine...and barring a top C option falling in to our lap, be fine at C as well, long term.

Doesn't change what needs to be done though IMO. Need to split assets, particularly of older vets with value, to gain top assets for making a strong contention push in a couple years.

I'd wager Boeser re-ups personally. But if we decide to move him (for whichever reason - fit or contract), again, it's not a reason to not move Miller IMO. We'll have other pieces coming back one way or the other, if for no other reason than cap. So I'm not worried about bodies, they'll figure that out.

If the players didn't want players traded, they should have played better....? Harsh but...

tbh I'm not so sure its the worst thing to view Petey as more of a winger. It puts less pressure on him, and he might be a lot more free to be creative.

We've been trying desperately to create 3 scoring lines but maybe we just don't have that much talent yet. Loading up two legit top 6 lines might be just fine. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, JM_ said:

tbh I'm not so sure its the worst thing to view Petey as more of a winger. It puts less pressure on him, and he might be a lot more free to be creative.

We've been trying desperately to create 3 scoring lines but maybe we just don't have that much talent yet. Loading up two legit top 6 lines might be just fine. 

Especially if in exchange, we invest in a high quality 3C.

• Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Especially if in exchange, we invest in a high quality 3C.

yup. If Petey gets back to PPG form I don't really care if he's a C or winger/C. 

It'll be pretty interesting to see what Rutherford & crew decides the path is but we really need a new Sutter. 

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, JM_ said:

yup. If Petey gets back to PPG form I don't really care if he's a C or winger/C. 

It'll be pretty interesting to see what Rutherford & crew decides the path is but we really need a new Sutter. 

Thankfully there's a bunch of potential guys that fit that bill (with assorted skill sets) available this summer IIRC. Tierney, Paul and Sturm to name a few.

And if we do add a guy like Chytil in a trade, we'd have lots of options then.

Edited by aGENT

1 hour ago, flickyoursedin said:

Miller to Colorado for Newhook + or Byram + and a salary filler to make it work.

Miller to Carolina for Kotkaniemi (they made a mistake giving him that much) Jarvis and Morrow.

Carolina is 9th in the League  on goals scored but have a staggering +39 goal differential. They gave up next years 1st and 3rd to get Kotkaniemi. Jarvis are morrow recent 1st and 2nd round picks.

Do you think Carolina feels like they have a hole on offence so dire that they should give up the equivalent of 2 1sts, a 2nd and a 3rd to fill it? 

Edited by qwijibo

1 hour ago, flickyoursedin said:

Miller to Colorado for Newhook + or Byram + and a salary filler to make it work.

Miller to Carolina for Kotkaniemi (they made a mistake giving him that much) Jarvis and Morrow.

I like that Carolina deal.  KK was a steal by the Canes.  Love to have another young star here.  Morrow is going to be really good too.  I’d be happy with KK and Morror.  

28 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Carolina is 9th in the League  on goals scored but have a staggering +39 goal differential. They gave up next years 1st and 3rd to get Kotkaniemi. Jarvis are morrow recent 1st and 2nd round picks.

Do you think Carolina feels like they have a hole on offence so dire that they should give up the equivalent of 2 1sts, a 2nd and a 3rd to fill it? 

To have a point per game does everything type center locked in for this year and next year at 5.25 million a year. Could be a move that wins them a Stanley Cup. I know they gave up picks to steal Kotkaniemi and when you factor in what they gave up for him on the offer sheet it seems like a lot. However nobody is giving up a 1rst and a 3rd for Kotkaniemi right now. He’s at this point a 3rd line center that will be a complimentary player on any line if he’s moved up. People are sleeping on how valuable JT Miller is and the fact that he’s locked up for another year at a fantastic cap hit. Gives a team 2 years to win a cup. Miller also brings a lot more than just offence! He’s also a great PK guy and oozes leadership.

Edited by flickyoursedin
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2

22 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

To have a point per game does everything type center locked in for this year and next year at 5.25 million a year. Could be a move that wins them a Stanley Cup. I know they gave up picks to steal Kotkaniemi and when you factor in what they gave up for him on the offer sheet it seems like a lot. However nobody is giving up a 1rst and a 3rd for Kotkaniemi right now. He’s at this point a 3rd line center that will be a complimentary player on any line if he’s moved up. People are sleeping on how valuable JT Miller is and the fact that he’s locked up for another year at a fantastic cap hit. Gives a team 2 years to win a cup. Miller also brings a lot more than just offence! He’s also a great PK guy and oozes leadership.

Whether anyone else would give up a 1st and a 3rd for Kotkaniemi is immaterial. THEY gave up a 1st and a 3rd for him. The kid is still only 21.  That’s way too many futures to give up for a year and a half rental that they don’t actually need. 

2 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

Funny, I haven't really been considering the Canes, mostly because they don't really 'need' anything. They're deep at F and D and don't really 'need' Miller. But Kotkaniemi, one of their plethora of D prospects and a pick wouldn't be awful for either club.

Miller would be an obvious upgrade on Kotkaniemi, especially for the playoffs. That said, I'd probably want a much cheaper extension already negotiated as any part of that deal.

Still not likely, but not impossible.

Edited by aGENT

31 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Byram is pretty risky with all those concussions. Great player, but quite risky. 

I really like the idea of a Boston deal. 

Bos: Miller

Schenn

Van: Carlo

Debrusk

1st or 2nd. 

2 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

I like the Colorado trade with a twist. I don't think they are letting go of Byram.

Miller + 1m retained to Colorado

Newhook + Justin Baron + 2M cap dump Murray to Vancouver

3 hours ago, KKnight said:

Byram is pretty risky with all those concussions. Great player, but quite risky. 

Schenn

Debrusk

1st or 2nd. 

It'd have to be a 1st imo, but I like Boston as a trade partner.

Bringing in Miller makes a lot of sense for them, even if they have to give up a valuable piece in Carlo to do so.

Bergeron is still their top center, and he's 36 and a pending ufa, they need a replacement for him whether he comes back or not. Now I'm not going to pretend to know Boston's prospect pool, but I'm assuming they don't have anyone in their system capable of stepping into a 1c role. 

If they acquire Miller and extend him that solves that problem while kicking their need to find a young, high end center a bit further down the road. It also gives them a shot at going deep this year while Marchand and Bergeron are around. Pasta and McAvoy are great mid aged talent, but their window with their top end veterans is closing. If they want to remain competitive instead of looking at a retool/rebuild acquiring Miller would certainly help.

Boston's also a place I could see him extending. 

Edited by Coconuts

5 hours ago, KKnight said:

Schenn

Debrusk

1st or 2nd. 

Yep.... you can probably throw in Senyshyn and swap out Schenn for Poolman.  Gets rid of some salary liability for us and gives us another good prospect who wants out of Boston.

12 hours ago, aGENT said:

Funny, I haven't really been considering the Canes, mostly because they don't really 'need' anything. They're deep at F and D and don't really 'need' Miller. But Kotkaniemi, one of their plethora of D prospects and a pick wouldn't be awful for either club.

Miller would be an obvious upgrade on Kotkaniemi, especially for the playoffs. That said, I'd probably want a much cheaper extension already negotiated as any part of that deal.

Still not likely, but not impossible.

Miller would help Carolina when things get tougher in the playoffs, but KK isn't what I'd want back, Petey is better when he's playing the way he can. If they saw Miller as an upgrade on Trocheck then maybe we could raid their prospect pool. I think they'd have to send VT back our way to make the cap work. 

15 hours ago, aGENT said:

Miller is certainly an upgrade but KK usually plays his best come playoffs.