The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Doing Minni a Brock solid [Proposal]

As much as I want to push for the playoffs I don't believe this is the year. We're too thin on depth and our pipeline is empty. 

If I'm the GM of Minni. This is it...... This is the last Hurrah! They are about to enter a forced 3 year rebuild. Pretty good time to do it too with Bedard Michkov looking studly as ever.  So if I'm them I'm going all in right now. I cant see them moving anything essential to their playoff success. The plan here go all in for the cup and then scorch earth to load up for the next 2 drafts. Their 2 biggest holes Top 6 C who can win a draw and Right shot RW I think Hartman is their only top 9 right shot. 

To Minni

Brock Boeser 50% + JT Miller 

To Van

Marco Rossi + Boldy+ Fiala (UFA) + 2nd + Future considerations (Handshake on rights to negotiate and extension with Greenway this offseason since they probably wont be able to retain him) 

I think they are fine to give up on 2 promising prospects here. Adding Miller and Brock puts them in serious cup contention. In the offseason especially if they go deep in the playoffs they will be able to trade Zuccarello, Brodin, and the right's to Greenway, Boeser, for picks or cost controlled players to load up in the next 2 drafts and offset the loss of Rossi, Boldy. If they decide to trade Miller after their run they should be able to extract maximum value and hopefully with a lil luck have a cup. 

Kaprizov Miller Hartman

Zuccarello EK Boeser

Greenway Sturm Foligno 

^^Thats a pretty Boss top 9

Now we do this because we need to hit the FFW button with 2 high 1st round picks . Boldy and Rossi are 2 ready now blue chippers Rossi is another feisty Garland, Hoglander, Motte type to add to our team identity . Boldy replaces some size in our top 9 he's got really high IQ and a heavy shot. Fiala flourished under BB he probably re upps at his current rate and IMO is an upgrade on Boeser long term. Minni knows with 14M cap penalty he is not in their future. 

Fiala Bo Garland

Hog Pete Pod

Boldy Rossi Greenway

Pearson Dicki Motte

Klim Lockwood

Next year its our turn to get in the cup conversation. 

• Haha 1
  • Wat 3
  • RoughGame 3

image.thumb.png.6403271d8c8847a6a6826b4977f89045.png

Knowing the $14 million dead cap (as you mentioned at the end of your post), how can Minny mortgage their future and essentially go all in (plus give up an RFA asset in Fiala) to get two guys that they'll have to re-sign shortly, when they might not be able to?  I doubt teams would offer sheet or trade for someone like Boeser if they can see him sitting or his QO is too high, and if Miller doesn't re-sign then they gave up those assets for nothing.

Edited by Phil_314
  • Thanks 1

Guerin would be fired on the spot.  The mandate is to build a perennial elite contender.  The Wild are in a rebuild and aren’t going to bank everything on a one off.  

They want to rebuild the right way.  Guerin again talked about it this week.  

Hartman has been great between Kaprizov and Zuccarello.  That lineup doesn’t even make sense.  Kaprizov only got going because he panicked that Evason would split him up from Zuccarello.  These two have insane chemistry.  

EriksonEk is a checker.  He’s always been at his best in that role.  Was tried at C1 and was ineffective.  His strength is playing shut down. 

Guerin also complained about players wanting to play in Minnesota for family reasons over hockey reasons.  Doesn’t think ties to Minnesota should mean anything.

Edited by mll
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Phil_314 said:

image.thumb.png.6403271d8c8847a6a6826b4977f89045.png

Knowing the $14 million dead cap (as you mentioned at the end of your post), how can Minny mortgage their future and essentially go all in (plus give up an RFA asset in Fiala) to get two guys that they'll have to re-sign shortly, when they might not be able to?  I doubt teams would offer sheet or trade for someone like Boeser if they can see him sitting or his QO is too high, and if Miller doesn't re-sign then they gave up those assets for nothing.

Pretty much said it all in my post. They scorch earth after the playoffs this year. The deeper they go the more return on assets they have will be. They can sell Miller and the rights to Brock after their run to recoup their losses. They aren't selling their future. Their capitalizing on their present and then accepting their fate. 

3 minutes ago, mll said:

Guerin would be fired on the spot.  The mandate is to build a perennial elite contender.  The Wild are in a rebuild and aren’t going to bank everything on a one off.  

They want to rebuild the right way.  Guerin again talked about it this week.  

Hartman has been great between Kaprizov and Zuccarello.  That lineup doesn’t even make sense.  Kaprizov only got going because he panicked that Evason would split him up from Zuccarello.  These two have insane chemistry.  

EriksonEk is a checker.  He’s always been at his best in that role.  Was tried at C1 and was ineffective.  His strength is playing shut down. 

I'm sorry perennial elite contenders don't have 14mill dead cap. Shuffle the players around however you like then i'm not going to argue lineups. Their a heck of a lot better with Miller an Brock than they are with Fiala. 

Edited by hammertime

Just now, hammertime said:

I'm sorry perennial elite contenders don't have 14mill dead cap.

That’s why they are in a rebuild for the next coming 3 seasons.  Their window will truly open up after that.  Guerin decided on those buyouts while factoring in the time it will take to develop guys like Rossi, Boldy etc.  He explains that they are their future and wants them down in Iowa for them to develop into difference makers.  He doesn’t believe in rushing prospects and insists they have a plan.  

8 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Pretty much said it all in my post. They scorch earth after the playoffs this year. The deeper they go the more return on assets they have will be. They can sell Miller and the rights to Brock after their run to recoup their losses. They aren't selling their future. Their capitalizing on their present and then accepting their fate. 

The Wild have already started their rebuild.  No reason to start over again.  They aren’t looking to go full tear down and have some players they fully intend to keep long term.  As prospects continue to develop they will push out veterans and their team will continue to improve that way.  Guerin talks of taking the time needed to build the right way.  

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

The problem with ALL of our expensive forwards. Who has cap space? And why would we retain ANY salary? 

The teams with $9.5 million or more are: (In millions)

New York Rangers $9.5+

Seattle Kraken $10.8+

Arizona Coyotes: $11+

New Jersey Devils: $ 12.8+

Nashville Predators: $16.5+ (Has an internal salary cap)

Ottawa Senators: $17.9+ (Melnyk might have an internal cap)

Columbus Blue Jackets: $18.0+

Anaheim Ducks: $18.4+

Detroit Red Wings: $19.3+

Buffalo Sabres: $20.0+ 

Just because Brock is from Minny doesn't make the Wild an ideal trading partner. 

• Cheers 3

1 hour ago, mll said:

The Wild have already started their rebuild.  No reason to start over again.  They aren’t looking to go full tear down and have some players they fully intend to keep long term.  As prospects continue to develop they will push out veterans and their team will continue to improve that way.  Guerin talks of taking the time needed to build the right way.  

Funny, but you comments caused me to look at their signed and unsigned prospects...quite a collection, and I agree with you! Imagine that! LOL

It actually makes me look at our team even harder, and it just shows you where Benning did screw up, and how incomplete we are!

I would hope JR acts on this, in the proper manner................what ever that is?

I will say this, IMO, "IF" we are moving Miller, we should move him at 50% retention, and attempt to get a haul

IMO, Miller at 50% is worth............2022-1st, a roster player, and a prospect...............nothing less would do

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, MrCanuck94 said:

Can't see the Wild doing it tbh.

Solid return for us however if it were to happen.

Meh I don't get all the paper bags. They have the best chance at the cup this year that they have ever had IMO. If this was 2011 and the canucks had a 14m cap penalty coming for the next 3 years and you told me we could have Rick Nash + Voracek UFA(Just a hypothetical example) For one all in run at the cup.  And all it was going to cost was going ufa M Samuelsson Cody Hodgeson on an expiring elc next year and a 10thish overall pick which we could easily then recoup by selling Nash in the offseason. I'm taking a run at the Cup and then going full rebuild and not worried one bit about COHO and ...... Bo Horvat I've got 3 years to re stock and reload. Not one worry in the world about the great careers Bo and Co Ho could go on to have in CBJ

Edited by hammertime

43 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Meh I don't get all the paper bags. They have the best chance at the cup this year that they have ever had IMO. If this was 2011 and the canucks had a 14m cap penalty coming for the next 3 years and you told me we could have Rick Nash + Voracek UFA(Just a hypothetical example) For one all in run at the cup.  And all it was going to cost was going ufa M Samuelsson Cody Hodgeson on an expiring elc next year and a 10thish overall pick which we could easily then recoup by selling Nash in the offseason. I'm taking a run at the Cup and then going full rebuild and not worried one bit about COHO and ...... Bo Horvat I've got 3 years to re stock and reload. Not one worry in the world about the great careers Bo and Co Ho could go on to have in CBJ

As Rutherford calls it, you'd have to look at the cycle the team is in. They are beginning their rebuild but some short term moves have really paid off and they are pushing above their weight. They aren't a true contender and it doesn't make sense to mortgage the future just for one run. It would be very shortsighted and go along the lines of what JB and co were trying to do.

The Canucks in 2011 were a cup contender and best team in the NHL. All in to win so any move that improved the team in the now made sense. Totally different cycle.

7 minutes ago, MrCanuck94 said:

As Rutherford calls it, you'd have to look at the cycle the team is in. They are beginning their rebuild but some short term moves have really paid off and they are pushing above their weight. They aren't a true contender and it doesn't make sense to mortgage the future just for one run. It would be very shortsighted and go along the lines of what JB and co were trying to do.

The Canucks in 2011 were a cup contender and best team in the NHL. All in to win so any move that improved the team in the now made sense. Totally different cycle.

Thanks for the level headed response. 

I disagree.....If I'm them, I am all in this year. Whatever it takes for a Miller/Giroux IMO they have a real chance after what seems like 20 years of being good enough to get to the dance but not good enough to do anything once there. The bonus with Miller is you can trade him after to fund your rebuild. You aren't mortgaging the future you have 3 years to figure that out. Are Boldy and Rossi the central point of your rebuild??? I doubt it. They do hurt your chances at Michkov/Bedard etc talent though.

Pick what cycle you're in then go all in on it. In this case I think they would be going all in on the cup and the rebuild at the same time while remaining in sync with both of those cycles time frames if that makes sense.  

5 hours ago, mll said:

Guerin would be fired on the spot.

What dyu feel is Rutherfords move?

Its almost like a 7 game win streak confused, the fan base, our situation.

He said we have holes.  Are not in a cycle for spending 1st's / young assets.  Loves Demko, is high on Hughes & gets less specific after that...