The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Seattle Kraken | Jan. 01, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

7 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

I want to make it clear, I am not saying we should give up on Petey. I am saying I don’t think the problems he is having can be fixed this season. He’s looked like he has lost speed and strength. Those are things he needs to focus on to get better. Power in his stride. He can’t pull away from anyone and gets knocked off the puck so easily. One of the biggest assets he had in his first year was he was hard on the puck and was hard to get knocked off of it. This year he gets bumped and falls down. Again I don’t want to trade him. I just think what we see this year is what we are going to get and it is very frustrating because there is not much that can be done.

He should try to reinvent himself this year. Focus down on becoming an actual C. Defense and faceoffs. Play away from the puck. 

Off-season focus on strength and speed. His offensive skills aren't lost they're just handicapped by his speed/strength.

The Petey before would battle through but with his size the wear and tear probably has a greater effect, especially when you're body isn't filled out. 176lbs is not enough at 6'2''  unless you skate like the wind. Even McDavid is like 195lbs.

Edited by Junkyard Dog
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

I want to make it clear, I am not saying we should give up on Petey. I am saying I don’t think the problems he is having can be fixed this season. He’s looked like he has lost speed and strength. Those are things he needs to focus on to get better. Power in his stride. He can’t pull away from anyone and gets knocked off the puck so easily. One of the biggest assets he had in his first year was he was hard on the puck and was hard to get knocked off of it. This year he gets bumped and falls down. Again I don’t want to trade him. I just think what we see this year is what we are going to get and it is very frustrating because there is not much that can be done.

That's 100% my take too. I would be shocked if he turned it around this season since he doesn't even show glimpses of the old Petey. This isn't just a case of gripping the stick too tight, this is a case of him being a completely different player right now. I can't recall the last time he deked a defender out when he used to be a human ankle breaking machine.

I think the injury recovery, poor training in the summer (and possibly focusing too hard on his "brand"), missing training camp, pressures of the contract created a perfect storm for this lackluster season.

If he puts in a HUGE effort this summer, I believe he'll be back.

• Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, CanucksFan8353 said:

If JR can make a favourable blockbuster trade at the TDL for him, it may be worth it, especially if it'll help with our playoff push/actual playoffs.  I'd give him to the TDL to prove that he's worth at least a fraction of his nearly $8 million.  Barring that, he's pretty much useless to us at this point.

While I think he is a frozen turd out there this year, trading him would be silly.  
Especially just for a shot at the playoffs this year.  

We aren’t a contender.    At this point, we aren’t a playoff team.  

Wait until next season and see if he pulls it together.   
It looks as if he has written off this season already, but I have hopes he will come back next year.  

• Wat 2
  • Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Boudreau will get through to him.

Cant expect him to undo all the damage Green did in such a short time.

He’s dealt with stars like Petey before. He knows what makes them tick. 

I say be patient until he comes around and starts going on a tear and then make a move. Don't repeat past mistakes based on emotion. Sell high.

• Cheers 1

Just now, EmilyM said:

You can't equate an essential service like going to the grocery store for half an hour to sitting in an arena with 20,000 people for three hours.

What’s the difference?  
Yeah, there were 4000 people reported the other day.   ICU only went up by like 6 and hospitalized are still under 200 people.  

They aren’t using common sense or taking into account all the information at hand. 

More scared bull’ish from the wishy washy Bonny Horgan duo, backed by our bobble head PM.   (I’m not a conservative, I just think they are all potato heads). 

1 hour ago, PuckTruckCanuck said:

Solid game by Schenn 

Petey defensively responsible 

Quick, renegotiate Hughes, give him more dough, lock him up for his career.

Demko, Vezina-like.

Are we paying petey to be defensively responsible? Aka LE 2.0 playing on 3rd line... I sure hope not... hope he is saving his legs for the playoffs!  And start to explode there. 

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Apparently not giving up lots of shots and high danger chances helps a goalies stats.

Who knew…

Who knew DeNiro 

Definitely not me..

This is one for the ages.. I been watching hockey for decades.. 

This coaching change and run canucks are on right now I haven't ever witnessed..

Impressive.. 

• Cheers 3

2 minutes ago, Kragar said:

Yeah, no.  Canucks were 3rd in their division, 6th in the conference at the TDL 2020.

https://nationalpost.com/pmn/sports-pmn/nhl-standings-143

You're mistaken and looking at it from a points percentage that they used towards the bubble.

In terms of points prior to the pause we were 9th in the division due to Nashville taking the tiebreaker and on the outside looking in.

Marky/Boeser got hurt and we were losing games. It wasn't looking good.