The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks trying to trade Halak

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

What about Halak for Koskinen (coming UFA, I think) and the Oilers sweeten with that Holloway kid?  

I have no interest in helping the Oilers. I doubt they would pay that price either.

If we’re determined to trade him to save cap send him out east. Then maybe we can get Jones from Philly as a replacement.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Quantum said:

Benning gave Halak an NMC for some god damn reason so moving him will be a little harder BUT I think if Halak has a path to be a #1 elsewhere, he likely waives to go elsewhere.

That's the only way you can sign one of the top backups in the league for one year at age 36. No way the deal gets done so cheap without that clause.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Also look at the source.

Dreger is a known pot stirrer when it comes to the Canucks. Probably just trying to create drama where there isn’t any.

He says he “believes” the Canucks would “probably consider”. This is speculation at its finest. He’s not even claiming the canucks have interest or have made calls.

This thread should be closed in reality.

His source is probably Matt Sukhairas too.  

• Haha 1

I don't really think it's a great idea to move Halak, but he would value to a few teams, incl. Edmonton and possibly Tampa. I'm sure JR has some itchy fingers and it's probably tough to break up the roster anywhere else with the momentum they're having rn.

Koskinen and the Oilers seem to be in a bit of conflict, I could see him being fine in a back-up role and a fresh start. He's different than Demmer so would give the team some reason to have a back-up goalie. UFA-to-be so clears cap for next year for JR to put his imprint on the team.

I could see something like Halak for Koskinen (1M retained) + a 4th round pick 2023

Just now, King Heffy said:

Koskinen is an absolute sieve; he is ECHL quality.  We'd be throwing in the towel on this season if we brought him in.

Holloway is pretty good though, isn’t he?  Koskinen as a backup isn’t so bad, no?  

Just now, Teemu Selänne said:

I don't really think it's a great idea to move Halak, but he would value to a few teams, incl. Edmonton and possibly Tampa. I'm sure JR has some itchy fingers and it's probably tough to break up the roster anywhere else with the momentum they're having rn.

Koskinen and the Oilers seem to be in a bit of conflict, I could see him being fine in a back-up role and a fresh start. He's different than Demmer so would give the team some reason to have a back-up goalie. UFA-to-be so clears cap for next year for JR to put his imprint on the team.

I could see something like Halak for Koskinen (1M retained) + a 4th round pick 2023

Why would we do that?  How does that help us?  

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Koskinen is an absolute sieve; he is ECHL quality.  We'd be throwing in the towel on this season if we brought him in.

I agree he's not great, but if the Canucks have any hope in making the show this year, it's with riding Demko. I don't think it'd be throwing in the towel if the goalie is gonna play 4 or 5 games lol.

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Why would we do that?  How does that help us?  

JR gets a pick and cap space this off-season

Demko is showing he needs less and less of a back-up to take off the load, so downgrading a little bit for this year isn't much of a hit. If the Canucks are gonna make any dent in the playoffs (or even make the show) it'll be on Demko's shoulders, regardless of which backup plays 5 games of the next 40 lol.

A slight downgrade for future and cap space

1 minute ago, Teemu Selänne said:

I agree he's not great, but if the Canucks have any hope in making the show this year, it's with riding Demko. I don't think it'd be throwing in the towel if the goalie is gonna play 4 or 5 games lol.

We'll have a lot of back to backs with the postponements.  We do need a backup who can at least give us a chance to win. That isn't Koskinen.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Teemu Selänne said:

That adds 2 mil in cap on our side which we don’t have.

No way are we helping the Oilers out for a measly 4th round pick. Makes no sense considering we’re battling them for a playoff spot.

Halak is one of the best backups in the division. We need him as insurance in case Demko goes down or is put in Covid protocol.

I’m fine with taking on the extra cap next season if it means we make the playoffs. We’ll have a cheap backup next season anyways and will still be on the cheaper side for goaltending overall.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, AV. said:

He's a decent backup and certainly helps the team out, but no sense in keeping him around for a miracle run into the playoffs.  Better to ship him out and avoid that 1.25M.

Not fair to the players with the way they’ve battled back to hurt their chances at a playoff spot.

The pick we get will be like a 4th. What’s the point?

Even with that cap we’d still only be in for around 7 million for both goalies next season if we go with Demko and DiPietro or Silovs.

• Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I'd go with whatever Ian Clark had to say. If he thought he could fix Koskinen's game I'd be fine with it. 

• Cheers 1